« PreviousContinue »
Εσται θαλπωρη, επει αν συγε ποτμον επισπης,
Let others in the field their arms employ,
But stay my Hector here, and guard his Troy.
18. But springing back, he stood before his horses and chariot. He depending on his beauty.
From Erebus the cruel fury heard.
Dardanian Priam, in counsel equal to the gods.
To boast to vanquish me with mighty force.
With tears his eyes were filled.
The hunter wounded him, when springing from his den.
To the splendid walls of Troy.
Observing when the Grecians would rush from the ships.
19. This, thou knowest, I led, a bee, they would be, having known, I sung, of a king, I have come, thou shalt see, he would strike, now, I was able, I have received, I have seen, having lost.
20. To whomsoever, of a hare, it has been decreed, of a serpent, more, to-day, to take courage, this, I have assembled, let them strike, I would love, with, a sea, he would enrich.
21. Being, he seemed, of myself, of muses, to words, we will strike, thou strikest thyself, of death, they have been loved, to place, an army, himself or herself, of these, them, holy, for, to them.
Ηπου τις σφιν ενισπε θεοπροπιων ευ ειδως,
THE IONIC PARAGOGE OF AND iv.
18. Αλλ' αναχωρησας προσθ ̓ ἱπποιϊν και οχεσφιν εστη.
Εκλυεν εξ Ερέβευσφιν, αμειλιχον ητος έχουσα.
-Τον τ ̓ εξ ευνηφι θοροντα, θηρητης ετύχησε βαλων.
-Κατα Ιλιοφιν κλυτα τειχεα.
Δεγμενος όπποτε ναυφιν αφορμηθειεν Αχαιοι.
COMMON GREEK TO BE RENDERED INTO ATTIC.
19. Οὗτος, οιδας, ηγον, μελισσα, ειησαν, ειδηκως, εψαλα, βασιλεος, ηλυθα, οψῃ, τυψαι, νυν, εδυναμην, λεληφα, ὡρακα, ωλως.
20. Ωἱτινι, λαγωου, μεμαρται, οφιος, πλείων, σήμερον, θαρσειν, τουτον, ηγερκα, τυψατωσαν, φιλοιμι, συν, θαλασσα,
COMMON GREEK TO BE RENDERED INTO IONIC.
21. Ουσα, εδοκει, εμαυτου, μουσων, λογοις, τυπουμέν, τυπτῃ, θανατου, πεφιληνται, θεῖναι, στρατιαν, αυτον-αύτην, του
22. Of thee, a brother, a contest, a wonder, self, easy, truth, of a king, how, they were struck, they would strike themselves, they have been struck.
23. Fame, to whistle, he, I came, to be, they say, twenty, greatness, heaven, to strike, sweet, to, thou shalt receive, flesh, a shepherd, thine.
24. Of nymphs, having sat down, I, to words, laughing, they toil, of youth, muses, a song, they laugh, when, foremost, where, being, we have died, I will go, of me, moon.
PRIAM BEGGING THE BODY OF HECTOR FROM
1. Aн think, thou favour'd of the powers divine!
Yet now, perhaps, some turn of human fate
22. Σου, αδελφος, αθλος, θαυμα, αυτος, ῥαδιος, αληθειαν, βασιλεος, πως, ετυπτοντο, τυπτοιντο, τετυμμένοι εισι.
COMMON GREEK TO BE RENDERED INTO DORIC.
23. Φημη, συριζειν, εκεινος, ηλθον, ειναι, φασι, εικοσι, μεγεθος, ουρανος, τυπτειν, ἡδυ, προς, συ λήψῃ, κρέας, ποι
24. Νυμφων, καθισας, εγω, επεσι, γελωσα, μοχθιζουσι ή βης, μουσαι, ῳδη, γελωσι, ποτε, πρωτιστος, πῃ, οντα, τεθνηκαμεν, βήσομαι, εμου, σεληνη.
HEXAMETER VERSE REDUCED TO PROSAIC ORDER, TO BE RETURNED INTO METRE
1. ΜΝΗΣΑΙ σειο πατρος, Αχιλλευ επιεικελ θεοις,