« PreviousContinue »
Modern Publications, and New Editions of Valuable Standard Works,
TALES of the WARS of OUR TIMES. By the Author of “ RECOLLECTIONS OF THE PENINSULA," &c. ? vols. post 8vo. 11. Is. bds.
“ We are constrained to close these remarks with a strong recommendation to our readers to perise the volumes themselves."'-United Service Journal.
By the same Author, NOTES and REFLECTIONS during scenes he has passed through, and the feelings they a RAMBLE in GERMANY. A New Edi.
suggested."- Edinburgh Review. tion. I Vol. 8vo. 12s. Bds.
SKETCHES of INDIA. By a TraThe STORY of a LIFE. 2 Vols post
VELLER For Fire-side Travellers at
Home. 4th Edition. I Vol. 8vo. 9s, Bds. 8vo. 3d Edition, 18s. Bds.
“We involuntarily follow, and smile, and RECOLLECTIONS of the PENIN. weep, and recover again, and pause in wonder at the skill of the magician, whose wand was such SULA, containing Sketches of the Man. strange power over our faculties."- Monthly Rev. ners and Character of the Spanish Nation. SCENES and IMPRESSIONS in
5th Edition. 1 Vol. 8vo. 108.6d. Bds. EGYPT and ITALY. I Vol. 8vo. 12s.
“ Few writers, who are not poets by profession, Bds. 3d Edit.
have the art of painting in words with so much
vividness and distinctness."-"It is scarcely pos** Such is the merit and charm of the volumes sible to open the book without seeing useful and before us, they place us at once by the side of the lively remarks, or descriptions indescribably de. author, and bring before our eyes and miods the scriplive."-- Monthly Revieu.
35. The BARONY, a Romance. By Miss A. M. Porter. 3 vols. 12mo. 11. 7s. bds.
“ The descriptions are picturesque even to poetry-----we cannot but commend the beautiful and healthy spirit of that best of morallly, the morality grounded on religious feeling, which thoroughly pervades ibebe graceful pages."'-Literary Gazette.
36. SIR ETHELBERT, or the Dissolution of Monasteries. A Romance. By the Author of " Santo Sebastiano,” “ The Romance of the Pyrenees," &c. &c. In 3 vols. 12mo. price 11. 45. bds.
The HISTORY of THUCYDIDES; newly translated into English, and illustrated with very copious Annotations, &c. By the Rev. S. T. BLOOMFIELD, D.D. F.S.A. of Sidney College, Cambridge; Vicar of Bisbrooke, in Rutland, &c. Author of “ Recensio Synoptica Annotationis Sacræ.” 3 vols. 8vo, with Maps, price 21. 5s.
The VENETIAN BRACELET; the LOST PLEIAD; a HISTORY of the LYRE; and other Poems. By L.E.L. Author of "The Improvisatrice," &c. 1 vol. foolscap 8vo. with a Frontispiece, engraved by W. Finden, from a Picture by H. Howard, R.A. TOs. 6d. bds.
"It is impossible to read a page in the volume before us that does not bear the stamp of originality and of high poetical talents.”—Gentleman's Mag.
By the same Author, The GOLDEN VIOLET, with its The POETICAL WORKS of L. E. L.
Tales of Romance and Chivalry; and including the Venetian Bracelet, the Lost other Poems. Fcp. 8vo. 108.6d. Bds.
Pleiad, a History of the Lyre, the Impro. The TROUBADOUR. 4th Edition. visatrice, Troubadour, Golden Violet, and
Miscellaneous Poems. With uniform Foolscap 8vo. 10s. 6d. Bds.
Titles and Vignettes. 4 Vols. fcp. 8vo. The IMPROVISATRICE. 6th Edit.
21. 2s, extra Bds. Foolscap 8vo. 103. 6d. Bds.
39. LEONORA, or the Presentation at Court; being the first of a Series of Narratives called Young Ladies' Tales. By Mrs. Lachlan, late Miss APPLETON, Author of “ Private Education," “ The Poor Girl's Help,” &c. &c. 2 vols. price 12s.
“ The story is very amusing, and the principles it inculcates such as should be deeply impressed on the mind of every young person."--Literary Gazelle.
40. REMARKS on the PRESENT SYSTEM of ROAD MAKING. By John LOU DON M'Adam, Esq. General Surveyor of the Roads in the Bristol District. The Ninth Edition. In 8vo. 78.6d. Bds.
By the same Author, OBSERVATIONS on the Management of TRUSTS for the Care of Turnpike Roads. 8vo. 68.
41. MEMOIRS of the ADMINISTRATION of the Right Hon. HENRY PELHAM. By the Rev. Archdeacon Coxe. 2 Vols. 4to. with Portraits, price 51. 58. few Copies are printed on large paper, uniform with the Author's preceding Works, price 101, 10s.
42. A NEW SYSTEM of GEOLOGY, in which the great Revolutions of the Earth and Animated Nature are reconciled at once to Modern Science and to Sacred History. By ANDREW URE, M.D. F.R.S. Member of the Geol. and Astron. Societies of London, &c. In i Vol. 8vo. with 7 Plates and 5] Woodcuts. Price 11. ls. bds.
.“ We regard thia New System of Geology as one of the most valuable accessions lately made to the Scientific Literature of our country."-Brande's Journal of Science.
43. The LIBRARY of ENTERTAINING KNOWLEDGE. Under the superintendence of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge. Nos. 1. to XVI. 2s. each.
44. SERMONS. By Ralph WARDLAW, D.D. Glasgow. In 8vo. Price 12e, Bds.
By the same Author, DISCOURSES on the Principal Parts of the SOCINIAN CONTROVERSY. 8vo. 158. Bds. 4th Edit, much enlarged.
45. An INTRODUCTION to ENTOMOLOGY; or, Elements of the Natural History of Insects. By WM. KIRBY, M.A. F.R.S. and L.S. and Wm. SPENCE, Esq. F.L.S. New Edit. 4 thick Vols. 8vo. with Plates, and Portraits of the Authors, price 41.-A Scientific INDEX may be had, price 2s.
46. The BOOK of NATURE; being a Popular Illustration of the General Laws and Phenomena of Creation, in its Unorganized and Organized, its Corporeal auri Mental Departments. By J.MASON GOOD, M.D.& F.R.S. 2d Edit.3 Vols. 8vo. 11.168. "-the work is certainly the best philosophical digest of the kind which we have seen.”-Mon. Rev.
47. The WORKS of SAMUEL PARR, LL.D. Prebendary of St. Paul's, and Cnrate of Hatton, &c. With Memoirs of his Life and Writings, and a Selection from his Correspondence. By John JOHNSTONE, M.D. 8 Vols. 8vo. Portraits, 71.78. A few copies of this work are printed on Royal paper, 121. 12s.
48. The BRITISH TARIFF for 1830-31 ; containing the Duties payable on Foreign Goods Imported into Great Britain and Ireland, the Isle of Man, the Island of Mauritius, New South Wales, and the British Possessions in America: with a list of the articles prohibited to be imported into, or exported from, those places respectively. To which are added, the Countervailing Duties between England and Ireland, with Copious Extracts from the Warehousing and Navigation Acts, &c. &c. By ROBERT Ellis, of the Long-Room of His Majesty's Customs, London. In 12mo. Price 58. sewed.
49. A COMPARATIVE VIEW of the SOCIAL LIFE of ENGLAND and FRANCE, from the Restoration of Charles the Second to the French Revolution. By the EDITOR OF MADAME Du DEFFAND'S LETTERS. In 1 Vol. 8vo. price 13s. bds.
“This is a most entertaining as well as interestingwork.-We dismiss these pages with the strongest recommendation of them to our readers."--Lit. Gaz.
By the same Author,
Modern Publications, and New Editions of Valuable Standard Works,
51, A SPINSTER'S TOUR in FRANCE, the STATES of GENOA, &c. during the Year 1827. 12mo. 10s. 6d. bds.
“Our fair Spinster has laid before us an agreeable little volume, wbich does credit to feminine taste and talent."- Lit. Gaz.
52. The EDINBURGH GAZETTEER, or COMPENDIOUS GEOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY, brought down to the present time ; containing a Description of the various Countries, Kingdoms, States, Cities, Towns, Mountains, Seas, Rivers, Har. bours, &c. of the World; an Account of the Government, Customs, and Religion, ofthe Inhabitants; the Boundaries, and Natural Productions, of each Country, &c. forming a complete body of Geography, Physical, Political, Statistical, and Commercial. Abridged from the larger work in 6 vols. 2d Edit. in I large Vol. 8vo. (with Maps,) 18s. bds.
The EDINBURGH GAZETTEER, or GEOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY, brought down to the Present Time. Complete in 6 Vols. 8vo. price 51, 5s. bds.
Also, as an Accompaniment to the above Works, A NEW GENERAL ATLAS, constructed by A. ARROWSMITH, Hydrographer to the King, from the latest Authorities ; comprehended in Fifty-four Maps, includ. ing Two New Maps, from Original Drawings, with recent Discoveries. In royal quarto, price 11. 16s. half-bound, or coloured, 21. 128. 6d.
53. A TOUR in ITALY and SICILY. By L. SIMOND, Author of “ A Tour in Switzerland," “ A Tour in Great Britain,” &c. In 1 Vol. 8vo. 16s.
54. The MISCELLANEOUS PROSE WORKS of SIR WALTER SCOTT, BART, now first collected. In 6 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 128. Bds.
55. A TREATISE on the STEAM ENGINE; Historical, Practical, and Descriptive. By john FAREY, Engineer. In 4to. illustrated by numerous Wood-cuts, and 25 Copper-plates, engraved by Wilson Lowry, from Drawings by Messrs. Farey. Price 51.5s. Bds.
Vol. II. is in the press.
56. ODES upon CASH, CORN, CATHOLICS, and other Matters, selected from the Columns of the Times Journal. In fcap. 8vo. price 7s. 6d. Bds.
“ None but little minds dread little books." - Figaro.
57. A TREATISE on the GENERAL PRINCIPLES, POWERS, and FACILITY of APPLICATION of the CONGREVE ROCKET SYSTEM, as compared with ARTILLERY; shewing the various Applications of this Weapon, both for Sea and Land Service, and its different Uses in the field and in Sieges. Ilustrated by 12 Plates. By Major-General Sir W. CONGREVE, Bart. 4to. Price 11. 1s.
The HISTORY of the RISE and PROGRESS of the UNITED STATES of NORTH AMERICA, till the British Revolution in 1688. By JAMES GRADAME, Esq. In 2 Vols. 8vo. Price 11. Ss. Bds.
TRANSACTIONS uf the LITERARY MADRAS. 4to. with Plates. Part I. price 11. 58.
The POETICAL WORKS of W. WORDSWORTH, Esq. А New Edition, including " The Excursion," 5 Vols. foolscap 8vo. Price 21. 5s. Bds. In these Volumes will be found the whole of the Author's published Poems, for the first time collected in a uniform edition, with several new pieces interspersed.
61. HONOR O'HARA: a Novel, in 3 Vols. By A. M. Porter, Author of “ Don Sebastian," “ Hungarian Brothers," &c. &c. 11. 4s. Bds.
Also may be had, by the same Author, separately,
the HISTORY of the LITERATURE, POETRY, cond part of the Modern History of Eng
RELIGION, the PROGRESS to the REPORland. 2d Edit. 2 Vols. 8vo. Il. 12s. Bds.
MATION, and of the LANGUAGE of ENG. The HISTORY of the ANGLO
LAND during that Period. 3d Edition,
5 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. Bds.
HENRY the EIGHTH ; comprising the 8vo. 21. 5s. Bds.
Political History of the Commencement The HISTORY of ENGLAND, dur
of the English Reformation : being the ing the MIDDLE AGES; comprising First Part of the Modern History of Engthe Reigns from William the Conqueror land. 3d Edit. 2 Vols. 8vo. 11. 6s. Bds.
63. MEMOIRS of the LIFE and WRITINGS of LINDLEY MURRAY; in a Series of Letters, written by Himself, with a Portrait, and Fac-simile of his Writing. 2d Edit. In 8vo. Price 9s. Bds.
64. The PRINCIPLES of CHRISTIAN PHILOSOPHY; containing the Doctrines, Duties, Admonitions, and Consolations of the Christian Religion. By John BURNS, M.D. Regius Professor of Surgery in the University of Glasgow, &c. 3d Edit, 12mo. 78. Bds.
ADVICE to a NOBLEMAN on the Manner in which his Children should be instructed on the Piano-forte. A new edition, 18mo. Price 38.
66. LECTURES on ASTRONOMY; illustrated by the ASTRONOMICON, or a series of Moveable Diagrams, exhibiting a more familiar and natural elucidation of the real and apparent motions of the Heavenly Bodies, than is to be met with in any other work on this valuable science. By W. H. Prior. Dedicated, by permission, to Dr. Birkbeck. Price of the Astronomicon, 31. 138. 6d.-Lectures, 10s. 6d.
The Diagrams are so constructed as to act upon one common centre, screwed into a board, upon which the otber figures referred to in the Lectures are also delineated. To this centre, a moveable Pianisphere is likewise adapted, upon which, from the peculiarity of its construction, all the most important Prohlems usually performed by the Celestial Globe, may be worked with much more facility than upon that instrument. A very curions and complete Astronomical Machine is thus formed; which, uniting in itself most of the advantages of the Orrery and the Celestial Globe, becomes a cheap and elegant substitute for them both.
A HISTORY of IRELAND. By John O'Driscol. In 2 Vols. 8vo. Price ll. 4s. Bds.
“We can recommend it as a most safe and useful guide to all those who are conscious either of redundant zeal or deficient know ledge on the subject of Irish affairs. It is easily read and understood; for it is short, for the quantity of matter it contains, and agreeably and clearly written. The author, we feel assured, is not only an intelligent, but a good man, and he has done good service in a season when it was urgently wanted."-Edinburgh Review:
68. A CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY of the WEST INDIES. By CAPTAIN THomas SOUTHEY, R. N. 3 Vols. 8vo. Price 21. 108. Bds.
" Captain Southey has performed the task which the title shows him to have undertakep, with great diligence, research, and fidelity. or the importance of the work it is impossible to say too mucb."Inspector
69. MUSCOLOGIA BRITANNICA ; containing the Mosses of Great Britain and Ireland, systematically arranged and described; with Plates, illustrative of the characters of the Genera and Species. By WILLIAM JACKSON HOOKER, LL.D. F.R.A. and L.S. &c. and Thomas TAYLOR, M.D. M.R.I.A. and F.L.S. &c. The 2d Edition, corrected and enlarged, in 8vo. 11. 118. 6d. plain, and 31. 35. coloured plates.
Modern Publications, and New Editions of Valuable Standard Works,
A VOYAGE TOWARDS the SOUTH POLE; containing an Examination of the Antarctic Sea, to the Seventy-Fourth Degree of Latitude; and a Visit to Tierra Del Fuego. By JAMES WEDDELL, Master in the Royal Navy. Second Edition. 8vo. with numerous Maps, Plates, &c. Price 188. bds.
“Mr. Weddell's volume deserves to find a place on the shelf of every library that pretends to a collection of Voyagcs and Travels."-Quarterly Review.
71. MEMOIRS of the COURT of QUEEN ELIZABETH. By LUCY AIKIN. 6th Edition. 2 Vols. 8vo. 11. 58. Bds.
Also may be had, MEMOIRS of the COURT of KING
JAMES the FIRST. By LUCY AIKIN. The POETICAL WORKS, the Cor2 Vols. 8vo. 3d Edit. 11. 4s. Bds.
respondence, and other Prose Pieces, of A LEGACY for YOUNG LADIES ; ANNA LÆTITIA BARBAULD. With a consisting of Miscellaneous Pieces in Prose Memoir. By Lucy AIKIN. 2 Vols. 8vo.
Price ll. 4s. Bds. and Verse. By the late Mrs. BARBAULD. 2d edit. in I Vol. 12mo. 7s. 6d. Bds.
72. LALLA ROOKH. An Oriental Romance. By T. MOORE, Esq. New Edition, with 4 Engravings, from Paintings by R. Westall, R.A. Fep. 8vo. 14s. Bds. Another Edition of this Work, in 8vo. 14s; and Illustrations, by Westall, 8vo. 129.
By the same Author, The LIFE of the RIGHT HON. R. The LOVES of the ANGELS. 5th
B. SHERIDAN. With a Portrait, from Edit. Svo. 98. Bds. an original picture by Sir Joshua Pey- ILLUSTRATIONS of the Poem, from Designs nolds. 5th Edition. In 2 Vols. 8vo. by Westall. 8vo. 5s. ll. lls. Cd.
The EPICUREAN. A Tale. In 1
Vol. foolscap 8vo. 5th Edition. 9s. Bds.
73. The GOOD NURSE; or Hints on the Management of the Sick and Lying-in Chamber and Nursery. Second Edition, with Additions, and Recomme datory Letters from Sir Astley Cooper, Dr. Babington, Dr. Paris, Dr. Lister, &c. Dedicated by permission to Mrs Fry. With a Portrait of the Author. Price 8s.
Preparing for the Press, by the same Author,
74. The ELEMENTS of PLANE GEOMETRY. By Thomas KEITH. 3d edit. in 8vo. 10s.6d. Bds.
By the same Author, An INTRODUCTION to the Theory tion of Youth. In | Vol. J2mo. with
and Practice of PLANE and SPHERICAL Plates, new edit. 6s. Bds. TRIGONOMETRY. In 8yo. 148. Bds.
The 5th edition, corrected and improved. A SYSTEM of GEOGRAPHY, for A NEW TREATISE on the USE of the Use of Schools. In 1 Vol. 12mo, ilthe GLOBES. Designed for the Instruc• lustrated by Maps and Plates, 6s. Bound.
75. An ILLUSTRATED INTRODUCTION to LAMARCK'S CONCHOLOGY, contained in his Histoire Naturelle des Animaux sans Vertèbres ; being a Literal Translation of the Descriptions of the recent and Fossil Genera, accompanied by Twenty-two highly-tinished Lithographic Plates, in which are given Instructive Views of the various Genera and their Divisions, drawn from Nature, from characteristic and generally well-known Species. By EDMUND A. CROUCH, F.L.S. Royal 4to. Price 11. Ils. 6d. plain, or 31. 3s. coloured.
Also, just published, An EPITOME of LAMARCK'S ARRANGEMENT of TESTACEA : with illustrative Observations and comparative Tables of the Systems of Linnæus and Lamarck. By C. DUBOIS, F.L.S. and F.H.S. 8vo. Price 14s. Bds.