Page images
[graphic][ocr errors][merged small]

Between the two disciples of Hippocrates there were constant broils, which were terminated only by a long and expensive course of litigation. This created parties in town, and effected rivalries and criminations which were designed, in themselves, to destroy harmony and good feeling throughout the entire community. At length Dr. Longley left the place and established himself in Millbury, Worcester County, where he remained in practice until the period of his death.

AUGUSTUS GRANVILLE PARKER was the next physician in the order of time. He was born in Harvard, in the pleasant village of Still River, Feb. 14, 1796. His father was a physician, and he was the youngest child of a numerous family. He early imbibed a taste for the profession of his father, and while yet a youth began to acquaint himself with the rudiments of the healing art. It is undoubtedly true that his future success was in a great degree owing to that singleness of purpose with which he devoted himself to the duties of his calling. While he was yet a minor his father removed with his family into the State of Vermont, where he passed the remainder of his life.

After the removal to Vermont, the subject of this notice commenced the active duties of his profession in company with his father. He was thus ushered into business, like many other practitioners of his time, without a public education, and without those other privileges that are now almost universally regarded a passport to the confidence of a patronizing community ;-a condition of things which he regretted more than his friends and future employers had occasion to do. Thrown, therefore, as he truly was, upon his own individual resources, his exertions were untiring to supply the wants that these circumstances created; and his subsequent success proved that he did not labor in vain.

Abominating every appearance of charlatanry; he applied to the Vermont Medical Society for an approbation to practise medicine; and after the usual preliminaries

he received a diploma from that institution, which bears date June 10, 1817. Dr. Parker ever regarded this event as the happiest of his life-experience; as it evinced to him that his self-exertions were rewarded in placing him upon a foundation most congenial with his genius and taste, where his energies could be expanded, and where he could be free to fulfil what he truly considered the mission of his life.

Having thus gone through with a formal initiation into the active duties of his profession, he took up a residence in Harvard, his native town, and formed a partnership with Dr. Stone of that place. He remained in this connection but one year when he removed to Shirley, where he passed the residue of his days. In 1827 he received a diploma from the Massachusetts Medical Society. He died June 18, 1843, in the forty-eighth year

of his age.

Dr. Parker married Mary Ann Hazen, daughter of Samuel Hazen, Esq., Dec. 20, 1819. They had one son, Stillman S. H. Parker, born June 27, 1821. From early life he gave signs of precocity of intellect and moral virtue, which led his parents to indulge his laudable wishes, all of which seemed to tend to the supplying himself with the facilities of improvement. As he had been early designed for the medical profession, at the age of sixteen his father proposed that he hasten to a close of his studies preparatory to a college course, to which suggestion he promptly acceded. In pursuance of this plan he was placed in the Groton Academy; where, with unwearied diligence, he pursued his classical studies ; at the same time, from every other available source, he gathered information of a scientific and general character. His career was destined to be of short continuance. He had, with some difficulty, finished the first term of his second year

in the above-named institution when his overworked system gave signs of increasing pulmonary difficulties, which required an immediate suspension of all labor and continued thought. Every day his symptoms became

more alarming, and seemed to declare that consumption had fixed its grasp upon the suffering patient, and would soon prostrate him in death.

As the chills of autumn approached, Dr. Parker proposed to his son to depart with him to the sunny regions of the South, with the hope that the climate might assist to protract, and possibly save, a life so dear to many. In the early part of October this plan was put in execution with the design of going as far as St. Augustine, in Florida. But the health of the young man seemed to require them to stop at St. Mary's, where he lingered till the 18th of January, when his mortal pilgrimage was closed.

The grief of this loss of his promising son-his only child-added to the effects of Dr. Parker's previous unwearied labors in the calls of his profession, broke down his constitution, and opened the way to his own comparatively early death.

JAMES Otis PARKER. See notices of college graduates, page 92.

Ebenezer P. Hills. He was born in Newbury, in 1804. In his early life he was engaged in the mechanical operations of his father, who was a joiner, painter and glazier. But early cherishing a desire to engage in the physician's calling, he commenced a course of study that might prepare him for that position. To obtain the means of pursuing his preparatory studies, he devoted a part of each year to the arduous work of school-teaching. He taught ten distinct terms, and was regarded as well adapted to this work. He was engaged as teacher in the towns of Leominster, Lunenburg, Shirley and Townsend. His professional studies were partially pursued under the direction of Dr. Silas Pearson of Westminster, and Dr. Peter S. Snow of Fitchburg. He attended a single course of medical lectures at Pittsfield, but received his doctor's degree from Brunswick, Maine, in 1825.

He then established himself in Townsend, and offered his professional services to the public. On the

death of Dr. A. G. Parker of Shirley, he came to this town, and remained here until his death, which occurred March 22, 1854, in the fiftieth year of his age.

. Dr. Hills received a diploma from the Massachusetts Medical Society, May 28, 1845. He was three times married ;—his first and second wives were sisters, from Lunenburg,-Misses Perkins,—who left three children at their deaths, one of whom preceded his father to the tomb. He married for his third wife Miss Sophia Gerrish of Townsend, Sept. 15, 1841, by whom he had four children, one of whom died before her father. Two others have since died. They died young, and yet their good qualities rendered them universally respected by their acquaintances. "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”

CHARLES C. Dowse lived and practised medicine for a few years in Shirley. He was born in Brighton, and in early life was engaged as a store and counting-room clerk. He pursued an academical course of study at the Wesleyan institution in Wilbraham. He studied medicine for a time in the office of Dr. Bates in Barre, and obtained his doctorate from the Boston Medical College. He began his practice somewhere in Connecticut, but removed to Shirley in 1845. Here he remained some four years, when he established himself in Clinton, where he resided about six years. Then he removed to Waltham, where he continued his practice until his death.

JOSEPH H. STREETER also practised medicine for a few years in Shirley. He came in 1845. The place, however, was so crowded with M. D.'s-led hither after the death of Dr. Parker, through the influence of that distinguished man's success—that Dr. Streeter removed to Roxbury, where he still lives and is engaged in the duties of his profession.

Darius A. Dow succeeded Dr. Dowse, and practised medicine about three years in Shirley, when he

« PreviousContinue »