« PreviousContinue »
her father's brother, and that he was Re- 32. And Leah conceived, and bare a son, bekah's son: and she ran and told her father. and she called his name Reuben: for she
13. And it came to pass, when Laban said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my heard the tidings of Jacob his sister's son, affliction ; now, therefore, my husband will that he ran to meet him, and embraced him, love me. and kissed him, and brought him to his 33. And she conceived again, and bare a house. And he told Laban all these things. son; and said, Because the LORD hath
14. And Laban said to him, Surely thou heard that I was hated, he hath therefore art my bone and my flesh. And he abode given me this son also : and she called his with him the space of a month.
name Simeon. 15. And Laban said unto Jacob, Because 34. And she conceived again, and bare a thou art my brother, shouldest thou there- son; and said, Now this time will my husfore serve me for nought? tell me, what band be joined unto me, because I have shall thy wages be?
borne him three sons: therefore was his 16. And Laban had two daughters: the name called Levi. name of the elder was Leah, and the name 35. And she conceived again, and bare a of the younger was Rachel.
son: and she said, Now will I praise the 17. Leah was tender-eyed; but Rachel LORD: therefore she called his name Judah ; was beautiful and well-favoured.
and left bearing. 18. And Jacob loved Rachel; and said,
CHAP. XXX. I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy | 1 Rachel's grief for her barrenness. 6 Bilhah beareth Dan
and Naphtali. 9 Zilpah beareth Gad and Asher. 14 younger daughter
Reuben findeth mandrakes. 17 Leah beareth Issachar, 19. And Laban said, It is better that I Zebulun, and Dinah. 22 Rachel beareth Joseph. 25 Jan give her to thee, than that I should give her
cob desireth to depart: 37 His policy, whereby he be
cometh rich. 20.0 thna Macoba bserved seven years for ". A Jacob hen kauhee na Wacheshenbare Rachel ; and they seemed unto him but a her sister ; and said unto Jacob, Give me few days, for the love he had to her. children, or else I die.
21. And Jacob said unto Laban, Give me 2. And Jacob's anger was kindled against my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that 1 Rachel; and he said, Am I in God's stead, may go in unto her.
who hath withheld from thee the fruit of 22.And Laban gathered together all the the womb ? men of the place, and made a feast.
3. And she said, Behold my maid 23. And it came to pass in the evening, Bilhah, go in unto her; and she shall bear that he took Leah his daughter, and brought upon my knees, that I may also have chilher to him: and he went in unto her. dren by her.
24. And Laban gave unto his daughter 4. And she gave him Bilhah her handLeah, Zilpah his maid, for a handmaid. maid to wife: and Jacob went in unto her.
25. And it came to pass, that in the morn- 5. And Bilhah conceived, and bare Jaing; behold, it was Leah: and he said to cob a son. Lában, What is this thou hast done unto 6. And Rachel said, God hath judged me, me? Did not I serve with thee for Rachel? and hath also heard my voice, and hath wherefore then hast thou beguiled me? given me a son: therefore called she his 26. And Laban said, It must not be so
name Dan. done in our country, to give the younger 7. And Bilhah, Rachel's maid, conceived before the first-born.
again, and bare Jacob a second son. 27. Fulfil her week, and we will give 8. And Rachel said, with great wrestthee this also, for the service which thou lings have I wrestled with my sister, and I shalt serve with me yet seven other years. have prevailed: and she called his name 28. And Jacob did so, and fulfilled her Naphtali
. week: and he gave him Rachel his daugh- 9. When Leah saw that she had left ter to wise also.
bearing, she took Zilpah her maid, and
gave 29. And Laban gave to Rachel his daugh-her Jacob to wife. ter Bilhah, his handmaid, to be her maid. 10. And Zilpah, Leah's maid, bare Jacob
30. And he went in also unto Rachel, and a son. he loved also Rachel more than Leah, and 11. And Leah said, A troop cometh: and served with him yet seven other years. she called his name Gad.
31. And when the LORD saw that Leah 12. And Zilpah, Leah's maid, bare Jacob was hated, he opened her womb: but Ra- a second son. chel was barren.
13. And Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed: and she ji multitude ; and the LORD hath blessed thee called his name Asher.
since my coming: and now, when shall I 14. 1 And Reuben went, in the days of provide for mine own house also? wheat-harvest, and found mandrakes in the 31. And he said, What shall I give thee! field, and brought them unto his mother And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me Leah. Then Rachel said to Leah, Give any thing. If thou wilt do this thing for me, me, I pray thee, of thy son's mandrakes. I will again feed and keep thy flock:
15. And she said unto her, Is it a small 32. I will pass through all thy flock tomatter that thou hast taken my husband ? day, removing from thence all the speckled And wouldest thou take away my son's man- and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle drakes also ? And Rachel said, 'Therefore he among the sheep, and the spotted and shall lie with thee to night for thy son's speckled among the goats, and of such shall mandrakes.
be my hire. 16. And Jacob came out of the field in 33. So shall my righteousness answer for the evening, and Leah went out to meet me in time to come, when it shall come for him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; my hire before thy face: every one that is for surely I have hired thee with my son's not speckled and spotted among the goats, mandrakes. And he lay with her that night. and brown among the sheep, that shall
17. And God hearkened unto Leah, and be counted stolen with me. she conceived, and bare Jacob the fifth son. 34. And Laban said, Behold, I would it
18. And Leah said, God hath given me might be according to thy word. my bire, because I have given my maiden to 35. And he removed that day the hemy husband: and she called his name goats that were ring-straked and spotted, Issachar.
and all the she-goats that were speckled 19. And Leah conceived again, and bare and spotted, and every one that had some Jacob the sixth son.
white in it, and all the brown among the 20. And Leah said, God hath endued sheep, and gave them into the hands of his me with a good dowry: now will my
hus- || sons. band dwell with me, because I have borne 36. And he set three days' journey behim six sons: and she called his name twixt himself and Jacob : 'and Jacob fed Zebulun.
the rest of Laban's flocks. 21. And afterward she bare a daughter, 37. And Jacob took him rods of green and called her name Dinah.
poplar, and of the hazel and chesnut-tree ; 22. 9 And God remembered Rachel, and and pilled white strakes in them, and made God hearkened to her, and opened her the white appear which was in the rods. womb.
38. And he set the rods which he had 23. And she conceived and bare a son; pilled before the flocks in the gutters in the and said, God hath taken away my reproach: watering-troughs, when the flocks came to
24. And she called his name Joseph; drink, that they should conceive when they and said, the LORD shall add to me another | came to drink. son
39. And the flocks conceived before the 25. And it came to pass, when Rachel rods, and brought forth cattle ring-straked, had borne Joseph, that Jacob said unto La- | speckled, and spotted. ban, Send me away, that I may go unto 40. And Jacob did separate the lambs, mine own place, and to my country. and set the faces of the flocks toward the
26. Give me my wives and my children, for ring-straked and all the brown in the flock whom I have served thee, and let me go: for of Laban; and he put his own flocks by thou knowest my service which I have done themselves, and put them not unto Laban's thee.
cattle. 27. And Laban said unto him, I pray 41. And it came to pass, whensoever the thee, if I have found favour in thine eyes, stronger cattle did conceive, that Jacob laid tarty : for I have learned by experience that the rods before the eyes of the cattle in the the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake. gutters, that they might conceive among
28. And he said, Appoint me thy wages, the rods : and I will give it.
42. But when the cattle were feeble, he 29. And he said unto him, Thou knowest put them not in: so the feebler were Laban's, how I have served thee, and how thy cattle and the stronger Jacob's. was with me.
43. And the man increased exceedingly, 30. For it was little which thou hadst be- and had much cattle, and maid-servants, fore I came, and it is now increased unto al and men-servants, and camels, and asses.
18. And he carried away all his cattle, 1 Jacob departeth secretly. , !9 Rachel stealeth her father's and all his goods which he had gotten, the
images : 36 Jacob's complaint of Laban. 43 The covenant cattle of his getting, which he had gotten in of Laban and Jacob at Galeed. 1. ND he heard the words of Laban's Padan-aram, for to go to Isaac bis father
sons, saying, Jacob hath taken away in the land of Canaan. all that was our father's; and of that which 19. And Laban went to shear his sheep: was our father's hath he gotten all this glory. and Rachel had stolen the images that were
2. And Jacob beheld the countenance her father's. of Laban, and, behold, it was not toward 20. And Jacob stole away unawares to him as before.
Laban the Syrian, in that he told him not 3. And the LORD said unto Jacob, Return that he fled. unto the land of thy fathers, and to thy 21. So he fled with all that he had; and kindred; and I will be with thee.
he rose up, and passed over the river, and 4. And Jacob sent and called Rachel set his face toward the mount Gilead. and Leah to the field, unto his flock,
22. And it was told Laban on the third 5. And said unto them, I see your father's day, that Jacob was fled. countenance, that it is not toward me as be- 23. And he took his brethren with him, and fore: but the God of my father hath been pursued after him seven days' journey; and
they overtook him in the mount of Gilead. 6. And ye know, that with all my power 24. And God came to Laban the Syrian I have served your father.
in a dream by night, and said unto him, 7. And your father hath deceived me, Take heed that thou speak not to Jacob and changed my wages ten times : but God either good or bad. suffered him not to hurt me.
25. Then Laban overtook Jacob. Now 8. If he said thus, The speckled shall be Jacob had pitched his tent in the mount; thy wages; then all the cattle bare speckled: and Laban with his brethren pitched in and if he said thus, The ring-straked shall be the mount of Gilead. thy hire; then bare all the cattle ring-straked. 26. And Laban said to Jacob, What hast
9. Thus God hath taken away the cattle thou done, that thou hast stolen away unof your father, and given them to me. awares to me, and carried away my daugh
io. And it came to pass at the time that ters as captives taken with the sword? the cattle conceived, that I lifted up mine 27. Wherefore didst thou flee away seeyes, and saw in a dream, and, behold, the cretly, and steal away from me; and didst rams which leaped upon the cattle were not tell me, that I might have sent thee away ring-straked, speckled, and grisled. with mirth and with songs, with tabret and
11. And the angel of God spake unto with harp? me in a dream, saying, Jacob : And I said, 28. And hast not suffered me to kiss
my Here am I.
sons and my daughters? Thou hast now 12. And he said, Lift up now thine eyes, done foolishly in so doing. and see, all the rams which leap upon the 29. It is in the power of my hand to do cattle are ring-straked, speckled, and gris- you hurt: but the God of your father spake led : for I have seen all that Laban doeth unto me yesternight, saying, Take thou unto thee.
heed that thou speak not to Jacob either 13. I am the God of Beth-el, where good or bad. thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou 30. And now, though thou wouldest needs vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get be gone, because thou sore longedst after thee out from this land, and return unto the thy father's house, yet wherefore hast thou land of thy kindred.
stolen my gods? 14. And Rachel and Leah answered and 31. And Jacob answered and said to said unto him, Is there yet any portion or Laban, Because I was afraid : for I said, inheritance for us in our father's house? Peradventure thou wouldest take by force
15. Are we not counted of him strangers? | thy daughters from me. for he hath sold us, and hath quite de- 32. With whomsoever thou findest thy voured also our money.
gods, let him not live: before our brethren, 16. For all the riches which God hath discern thou what is thine with me, and taken from our father, that is ours, and our take it to thee. For Jacob knew not that children's: now then, whatsoever God hath Rachel had stolen them. said unto thee, do.
33. And Laban went into Jacob's tent, 17. Then Jacob rose up, and set his sons and into Leah's tent, and into the two maidand his wives upon camels.
servants' tents; but he found them not. Then
went he out of Leah's tent, and entered 48. And Laban said, This heap is a into Rachel's tent.
witness between me and thee this day. 34. Now Rachel had taken the images, Therefore was the name of it called Galeed; and put them in the camel's furniture, and 49. And Mizpah: for he said, The LORD sat upon them. And Laban searched all watch between me and thee, when we are the tent, but found them not.
absent one from another. 35. And she said to her father, Let it not 50. Jf thou shalt afflict my daughters, displease my lord that I cannot rise up or if thou shalt take other wives besides my before thee; for the custom of women is daughters, no man is with us: see, God is upon me. And he searched, but found not witness betwixt me and thee. the images.
51. And Laban said to Jacob, Behold this 36. And Jacob was wroth, and chode heap, and behold this pillar, which I have with Laban: and Jacob answered and said cast betwixt me and thee; to Laban, What is my trespass, what is my 52. This heap be witness, and this pillar sin, that thou hast so hotly pursued after me? | be witness, that I will not pass over this
37. Whereas thou hast searched all heap to thee, and that thou shalt not pass my stuff, what hast thou found of all thy over this heap and this pillar unto me, for housebold-stuff? set it here before my harm. brethren and thy brethren, that they may 53. The God of Abraham, and the God judge betwixt us both..
of Nahor, the God of their father, judge 33. These twenty years have I been with betwixt us. And Jacob sware by the fear thee; thy ewes and thy she-goats have not of his father Isaac. cast their young, and the rams of thy flock 54. Then Jacob offered sacrifice upon the have I not eaten.
mount, and called his brethren to eat bread: 39. That which was torn of beasts I and they did eat bread, and tarried all night brought not unto thee; I bare the loss of it: in the mount. of my hand didst thou require it, whether 55. And early in the morning Laban rose stolen by day, or stolen by night.
up, and kissed his sons and his daughters, 40. Thus I was; in the day the drought and blessed them: and Laban departed, consumed me, and the frost by night; and and returned unto his place. my sleep departed from mine eyes,
CHAP. XXXII. 41. Thus have I been twenty years in 3 Jacob's message to Esau. 9 He prayeth for his deliverance. thy house: I served thee fourteen years for
13 He sendeth a present to Esau. 24 He wrestleth with an
angel al Peniel, where he is called Israel. 31 He halteth. thy two daughters, and six years for thy cat. 1. tle: and thou hast changed my wages ten angels of him. times.
2. And when Jacob saw them, he said, 42. Except the God of my father, the God This is God's host: and he called the name of Abraham, and the fear of Isaac, had of that place Mahanaim. been with me, surely thou hadst sent me 3. And Jacobsent messengers before away now empty. God hath seen mine af- him to Esau his brother, unto the land of fiction and the labour of my hands, and Seir, the country of Edom. rebuked thee yesternight.
4. And he commanded them, saying, Thus 43. And Laban answered and said unto shall ye speak unto my lord Esau; Thy Jacob, These daughters are my daughters, servant Jacob saith thus, I have sojourned and these children are my children, and with Laban, and stayed there until now: these cattle are my cattle, and all that thou 5. And I have oxen, and asses, flocks, seest is mine: and what can I do this day and men-servants, and women-servants: and unto these my daughters, or unto their chil. I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find dren which they have borne?
grace in thy sight. 44. Now, therefore, come thou, let us 6. And the messengers returned to Jamake a covenant, I and thou ; and let it be cob, saying, We came to thy brother Esau, for a witness between me and thee. and also he cometh to meet thee, and four
45. And Jacob took a stone, and set it hundred men with him. up for a pillar.
7. Then Jacob was greatly afraid and 46. And Jacob said unto his brethren, distressed: and he divided the people that Gather stones: and they took stones, and was with him, and the flocks, and herds, made a heap; and they did eat there upon and the camels, into two bands ;
8. And said, If Esau come to the one 47. And Laban called it Jegar-sahadu- company and smite it, then the other comtha; but Jacob called it Galeed.
pany which is left shall escape.
·A Apelacob went on his way
, and the
9. And Jacob said, O God of my father || not against him, he touched the hollow of Abraham, and God of my father Isaac, || his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh the LORD which saidst unto me, Return | was out of joint, as he wrestled with him. unto thy country, and to thy kindred, 26. And he said, Let me go, for the day and I will deal well with thee:
breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee 10. I am not worthy of the least of all the go, except thou bless me. mercies, and of all the truth, which thou 27. And he said unto him, What is thy hast showed unto thy servant; for with my name? And he said, Jacob. staff [ passed over this Jordan, and now I 28. And he said, Thy name shall be callam become two bands.
ed no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a 11. Deliver me, I pray thee, from the prince hast thou power with God and with hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau: men, and hast prevailed. for I fear him, lest he will come and smite 29. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, and the mother with the children.
pray thee, thy name. And he said, 12. And thou saidst, I will surely do thee Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my good, and make thy seed as the sand of the name? And he blessed him there. sea, which cannot be numbered for multi- 30. And Jacob called the name of the tudc.
place Peniel : for I have seen God face to 13. And he lodged there that same night; face, and my life is preserved. and took of that which came to his hand a 31. And as he passed over Penuel the sun present for Esau his brother;
rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh. 14. Two hundred she-goats and twenty 32. Therefore the children of Israel eat he-goats, two hundred ewes and twenty not of the sinew which shrank, which is rams,
upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: 15. Thirty milch camels with their colts, because he touched the hollow of Jacob's forty kine and ten bulls, twenty she-asses thigh in the sinew that shrank. and ten foals.
CHAP. XXXIII. 16. And he delivered them into the hand 1 The kindness of Jacob and Esau at their meeting. 18 At
Shalem he buyeth a field, and buildeth an allar called of his servants, every drove by themselves;
El-elohe-Israel. and said unto his servants, Pass over before 1. A looked, and, behold, I
ND Jacob lifted up his eyes, and me, and put a space betwixt drove and drove.
17. And he commanded the foremost, with him four hundred men. And he saying, When Esau my brother meeteth divided the children unto Leah, and unto thee, and asketh thee, saying, Whose art Rachel, and unto the two handmaids. thou ? and whither goest thou ? and whose 2. And he put the bandmaids and their are these before thee?
children foremost, and Leah and her chil18. Then thou shalt say, They be thy dren after, and Rachel and Joseph hinderservant Jacob's; it is a present sent unto my most. lord Esau: and, behold, also he is behind us. 3. And he passed over before them, and
19. And so commanded he the second, bowed himself to the ground seven times, and the third, and all that followed the until he came near to his brother. droves, saying, On this manner shall you 4. And Esau ran to meet him, and emspeak unto Esau, when you find him. braced him, and fell on his neck, and kiss
20. And say ye moreover, Behold, thyed him: and they wept. servant Jacob is behind us. For he said, I 5. And he lifted up his eyes, and saw will appease him with the present that goeth the women and the children, and said, Who before me, and afterward I will see his face; are those with thee? And he said, The peradventure he will accept of me. children which God hath graciously given
21. So went the present over before him; thy servant. and himself lodged that night in the company.
6. Then the handmaidens came near, 22. And he rose up that night, and took they and their children, and they bowed his two wives, and his two women-servants, themselves. and his eleven sons, and passed over the 7. And Leah also with her children came ford Jabbok.
near, and bowed themselves : and after 23. And he took them, and sent them came Joseph near and Rachel, and they over the brook, and sent over that he had. bowed themselves.
24. And Jacob was left alone; and there 8. And he said, What meanest thou by all wrestled a man with him until the breaking this drove which I met? And he said. These of the day:
are to find grace in the sight of my lord. 25. And when he saw that he prevailed 9. And Esau said, I have enough, my