« PreviousContinue »
the gate, and he died, as the man of God had came and stood before him, and said, Thy said, who spake when the king came down son Ben-hadad king of Syria hath sent me to
thee, saying, Shall I recover of this disease? 18. And it came to pass, as the man of
10. And Elisha said unto him, Go, say God had spoken to the king, saying, Two unto him, Thou mayest certainly recover: measures of barley for a shekel, and a mea-howbeit, the LORD hath showed me that he sure of fine flour for a shekel, shall be to-mor- shall surely die. row, about this time, in the gate of Samaria : 11. And he settled his countenance stead
19. And that lord answered the man of fastly, until he was ashamed : and the man God, and said, Now, behold, if the LORD of God wept. should make windows in heaven, might such 12. And Hazael said, Why weepeth my a thing be? And he said, Behold, thou lord? And he answered, Because I know shalt see it with thine eyes, but shalt not eat the evil that thou wilt do unto the children thereof.
of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on 20. And so it fell out unto him: for the peo- fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with ple trode upon him in the gate, and he died. || the sword, and wilt dash their children, and CHAP. VIII.
rip up their women with child. I The Shunammite, for Elisha's miracle's sake, hath her land
13. And Hazael said, But what! is thy restored by the king. 16 Jehoram's wicked reign in Judah. servant a dog, that he should do this great 1. THEN spake Elisha unto the woman thing? And Elisha answered, The Lord hath
whose he had restored to life, say showed me that thou shall be king over Syria. ing, Arise, and go thou and thine household, 14. So he departed from Elisha, and came and sojourn wheresoever thou canst sojourn: to his master; who said to him, What said for the Lord hath called for a famine; and Elisha to thee? And he answered, He told it shall also come upon the land seven years. me that thou shouldest surely recover.
2. And the woman arose, and did after 15. And it came to pass on the morrow, the saying of the man of God: and she went that he took a thick cloth, and dipped it in with her household, and sojourned in the water, and spread it on his face, so that he land of the Philistines seven years.
died; and Hazael reigned in his stead. 3. And it came to pass at the seven years' 16. 1 And in the fifth year of Joram, the end, that the woman returned out of the land son of Ahab king of Israel, Jehoshaphat of the Philistines: and she went forth to cry being then king of Judah, Jehoram, the son unto the king for her house and for her land. of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, began to reign.
4. And the king talked with Gehazi, the 17. Thirty and two years old was he servant of the man of God, saying, Tell when he began to reign; and he reigned eight me, I pray thee, all the great things that years in Jerusalem. Elisha hath done.
18. And he walked in the way of the kings 5. And it came to pass, as he was telling of Israel, as did the house of Ahab; for the the king how he had restored a dead body daughter of Ahab was his wife: and he did to life, that, behold, the woman, whose son evil in the sight of the LORD. he had restored to life, cried to the king for 19. Yet the LORD would not destroy her house and for her land. And Gehazi Judah for David his servant's sake, as he said, My lord, O king, this is the woman, and promised to give him always a light, and this is her son whom Elisha restored to life. I to his children.
6. And when the king asked the woman, 20. In his days Edom revolted from under she told him. So the king appointed unto the hand of Judah, and made a king over her a certain officer, saying, Restore all that themselves. was hers, and all the fruits of the field, since 21. So Joram went over to Zair, and all the day that she left the land, even until now. the chariots with him: and he arose by night,
7. Í And Elisha came to Damascus; and and smote the Edomites which compassed Ben-hadad the king of Syria was sick : and him about, and the captains of the chariots : it was told him, saying, The man of God is and the people fled into their tents. come hither.
22. Yet Edom revolted from under the 8. And the king said unto Hazael, Take hand of Judah unto this day. Then Libnah a present in thine hand, and go, meet the revolted at the same time. man of God, and inquire of the LORD by 23. And the rest of the acts of Joram, and him, saying, Shall I recover of this disease? all that he did, are they not written in the
9. Só Hazael went to meet him, and took book of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah? a present with him, even of every good thing 24. And Joram slept with his fathers, and oof Damascus, forty camels' burden, and I was buried with his fathers in the city of Da
vid: and Ahaziah his son reigned in his stead. || that pisseth against the wall, and him that
25. In the twelfth year of Joram, the son is shut up and left in Israel : of Ahab king of Israel, did Ahaziah, the son 9. And I will make the house of Ahab of Jehoram king of Judah, begin to reign. like the house of Jeroboam the son of
26. Two and twenty years old was Aha- Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the ziah when he began to reign, and he reigned son of Ahijah: one year in Jerusalem: and his mother's 10. And the dogs shall eat Jezebel in the name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri portion of Jezreel, and there shall be none to king of Israel.
bury her. And he opened the door and fled. 27. And he walked in the way of the ii. Then Jehu came forth to the servants house of Ahab, and did evil in the sight of of his lord; and one said unto him, Is all the LORD, as did the house of Ahab: for he well? wherefore came this mad fellow to was the son-in-law of the house of Ahab. thee? And he said unto them, Ye know
28. And he went with Joram the son of the man, and his communication. Ahab to the war against Hazael king of 12. And they said, It is false; tell us now. Syria in Ramoth-gilead ; and the Syrians And he said, Thus and thus spake he to wounded Joram.
me, saying, Thus saith the LORD, I have 29. And king Joram went back to be anointed thee king over Israel. healed in Jezreel of the wounds which the 13. Then they hasted, and took every man Syrians had given him at Ramah, when he his garment, and put it under him on the fought against Hazael king of Syria. And | top of the stairs, and blew with trumpets, Abaziah, the son of Jehoram king of Judah, saying, Jehu is king. went down to see Joram the son of Ahab 14. So Jehu, the son of Jehoshaphat, the in Jezreel, because he was sick.
son of Nimshi, conspired against Joram. CHAP. IX.
(Now Joram had kept Ramoth-gilead,heand Elisha sendeth a young prophet with instructions to anoint all Israel, because of Hazael king of Syria Jehu at Ramoth-gilead.
15. But king Joram was returned to be 1, ND Elisha the prophet called one of healed in Jezreel of the wounds which the
said unto him, Gird up thy loins, and take Hazael king of Syria.) And Jehu said, If it this box of oil in thine hand, and go to Ra- be your minds, then let none go forth nor esmoth-gilead:
cape out of the city, to go to tell it in Jezreel. 2. And when thou comest thither, look 16. So Jehu rode in a chariot, and went to out there Jehu the son of Jehoshaphat, the Jezreel; for Joram lay there. And Ahaziah son of Nimshi, and go in, and make him king of Judah was come down to see Joram. arise up from among his brethren, and carry 17. And there stood a watchman on the him to an inner chamber:
tower in Jezreel, and he spied the company 3. Then take the box of oil, and pour it of Jehu as he came, and said, I see a comon his head, and say, Thus saith the LORD, Ipany. And Joram said, Take a horseman, have anointed thee king over Israel. Then and send to meet them, and let him say, open the door, and flee, and tarry not. Is it peace ? 4. So the young man, even the young man
18. So there went one on horseback to the prophet, went to Ramoth-gilead. meet him, and said, Thus saith the king, Is
5. And when he came, behold, the cap-it peace? And Jehu said, What hast thou to tains of the host were sitting: and he said,|| do with peace ? turn thee behind me. And I have an errand to thee, O captain. And the watchman told, saying, The messenger Jehu said, Unto which of all us? And he came to them, but he cometh not again. said, To thee, O captain.
19. Then he sent out a second on horse6. And he arose, and went into the house; back, which came to them, and said, Thus and he poured the oil on his head, and said saith the king, Is it peace? And Jehu anunto him, Thus saith the LORD God of Is- swered, What hast thou to do with peace ? rael, I have anointed thee king over the peo- turn thee behind me. ple of the LORD, even over Israel.
20. And the watchman told, saying, He 7. And thou shalt smite the house of came even unto them, and cometh not again: Ahab thy master, that I may avenge the and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the blood of my servants the prophets, and the son of Nimshi ; for he driveth furiously. blood of all the servants of the LORD, at 21. And Joram said, Make ready. And the hand of Jezebel.
his chariot was made ready. And Joram 8. For the whole house of Ahab shall king of Israel, and Ahaziah king of Judah, perish; and I will cut off from Ahab him I went out, each in his chariot, and they wert
out against Jehu, and met him in the portion LORD, which he spake by his servant Elijah of Naboth the Jezreelite.
the Tishbite, saying, In the portion of Jez22. And it came to pass, when Joram saw reel shall dogs eat the flesh of Jezebel: Jehu, that he said, Is it peace, Jehu ? And 37. And the carcase of Jezebel shall be he answered, What peace, so long as the as dung upon the face of the field in the whoredoms of thy mother Jezebel, and her portion of Jezreel ; so that they shall not witchcrafts, are so many ?
say, This is Jezebel. 23. And Joram turned his hands, and fled,
CHAP. X. and said to Ahaziah, There is treachery, O Jehu by his letters causeth seventy of Ahab's children to be Ahaziah!
24. And Jehu drew a bow with his full || 1. ND Ahab had seventy sons in Sastrength, and smote Jehoram between his
And Jehu wrote letters arms; and the arrow went out at his heart, and sent to Samaria, unto the rulers of Jezand he sunk down in his chariot.
reel, to the elders, and to them that brought 25. Then said Jehu to Bidkar his captain, up Ahab's children, saying, Take up, and cast him in the portion of the 2. Now, as soon as this letter cometh to field of Naboth the Jezreelite: for remember you, seeing your master's sons are with you, how that, when I and thou rode together and there are with you chariots and horses after Ahab his father, the LORD laid this a fenced city also, and armour, burden upon him;
3. Look even out the best and meetest of 26, Surely I have seen yesterday the blood your master's sons, and set him on his father's of Naboth, and the blood of his sons, saith throne, and fight for your master's house. the LORD; and I will requite thee in this 4. But they were exceedingly afraid, and plat, saith the LORD. Now therefore take said, Behold, two kings stood not before and cast him into the plat of ground, ac- him: how then shall we stand ? cording to the word of the LORD.
5. And he that was over the house, and 27. But when Ahaziah the king of Judah he that was over the city, the elders also, saw this, he fled by the way of the garden- and the bringers-up of the children, sent to house: and Jehu followed after him, and said, Jehu, saying, We are thy servants, and will Smite him also in the chariot. And they did do all that thou shalt bid us; we will not so at the going up to Gur, which is by Ibleam. make any king: do thou that which is good And he fled to Megiddo, and died there.
28. And his servants carried him in a cha- l 6. Then he wrote a letter the second time riot to Jerusalem, and buried him in his se- to them, saying, If ye be mine, and if ye will pulchre with his fathers in the city of David. hearken unto my voice, take ye the heads of
29. And in the eleventh year of Joram the men your master's sons, and come to me the son of Ahab began Abaziah to reign to Jezreel by to-morrow this time. (Now over Judah.
the king's sons, being seventy persons, were 30. 1 And when Jehu was come to Jez- with the great men of the city, which reel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted brought them up.) her face, and tired her head, and looked out 7. And it came to pass, when the letter at a window.
came to them, that they took the king's sons, 31. And as Jehu entered in at the gate, she and slew seventy persons, and put their heads said, Had Zimri peace, who slew his master? in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel.
32. And he lifted up his face to the window, 8. And there came a messenger, and told and said, Who is on my side? who ? And him, saying, They have brought the heads there looked out to him two or three eunuchs. of the king's sons. And he said, Lay ye
33. And he said, Throw her down. So them in two heaps at the entering in of the they threw her down: and some of her blood gate until the morning. was sprinkled on the wall, and on the horses: 9. And it came to pass in the morning, and he trode her under foot.
that he went out, and stood, and said to all 34. And when he was come in, he did eat the people, Ye be righteous: behold, I conand drink, and said, Go, see now this cursed | spired against my master, and slew him : woman, and bury her: for she is a king's but who slew all these ? daughter.
10. Know now that there shall fall unto 35. And they went to bury her; but they the earth nothing of the word of the LORD, found no more of her than the scull, and the which the LORD spake concerning the house feet, and the palms of her hands.
of Ahab: for the LORD hath done that 36. Wherefore they came again, and told which he spake by his servant Elijah. him. And he said, This is the word of the 11. So Jehu slew all that remained of the
in thine eyes.
of the queen.
house of Ahab in Jezreel, and all his great fourscore men without, and said, If any of men, and his kinsfolks, and his priests, until the men whom I have brought into your he left him none remaining.
hands escape, he that letteth him go, his life 12. And he arose and departed, and came shall be for the life of him. to Samaria. And as he was at the shearing- 25. And it came to pass, as soon as he had house in the way,
made an end of offering the burnt-offering, 13. Jehu met with the brethren of Aha- that Jehu said to the guard and to the capziah king of Judah, and said, Who are ye? tains, Go in, and slay them; let none come And they answered, We are the brethren forth. And they smote them with the edge of Ahaziah; and we go down to salute of the sword; and the guard and the capthe children of the king, and the children tains cast them out, and went to the city of
the house of Baal. 14. And he said, Take them alive. And 26. And they brought forth the images they took them alive, and slew them at the out of the house of Baal, and burned them. pit of the shearing-house, even two and forty 27. And they brake down the image of men: neither left he any of them.
Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, 15. And when he was departed thence, and made it a draught-house unto this day. he lighted on Jehonadab the son of Rechab, 28. Thus Jebu destroyed Baalout of Israel. coming to meet him: and he saluted him, 29. Howbeit, from the sins of Jeroboam and said to him, Is thine heart right, as my the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, heart is with thy heart? And Jehonadab Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, answered, It is. If it be, give me thine the golden calves that were in Beth-el, and hand. And he gave him his hand; and he that were in Dan. took him up to him into the chariot.
30. And the LORD said unto Jehu, Be16. And he said, Come with me, and see cause thou hast done well in executing that my zeal for the LORD. So they made him which is right in mine eyes, and hast done ride in his chariot.
unto the house of Ahab according to all that 17. And when he came to Samaria, he was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth slew allthat remained unto Ahab in Samaria, generation shall sit on the throne of Israel. till he had destroyed him, according to the 31. But Jehu took no heed to walk in the saying of the Lord,which he spake to Elijah. law of the Lord God of Israel with all his
18. And Jehu gathered all the people to heart: for he departed not from the sins of gether, and said unto them, Ahab served Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin. Baal a little, but Jehu shall serve him much. 32. 1 In those days the Lord began to 19. Now therefore call unto me the cut Israel short: and Hazael smote them in
, and all ; priests ; let none be wanting: for I have a 33. From Jordan eastward, all the land great sacrifice to do to Baal: whosoever shall of Gilead, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, be wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did | and the Manassites, from Aroer, (which is by it in subtilty, to the intent that he might de- the river Arnon,) even Gilead and Bashan. stroy the worshippers of Baal.
34. | Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, 20. And Jehu said, Proclaim a solemn and all that he did, and all his might, are assembly for Baal. And they proclaimed it. they not written in the book of the Chronicles
21. And Jehu sent through all Israel; and of the kings of Israel ? all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there 35. And Jehu slept with his fathers; and was not a man left that came not: and they they buried him in Samaria. And Jehoahaz came into the house of Baal; and the house his son reigned in his stead. of Baal was full from one end to another. 36. And the time that Jehu reigned over
22. And he said unto him that was over Israel in Samaria wastwenty and eight years. the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the
CHAP. XI. worshippers of Baal. And he brought them 13 Athaliah slain. 17 Jehoiada restoreth the worship of God. forth vestments. 23. And Jehu went, and Jehonadab the : A D when Athaliah, the mother
Ahaziah, saw that her son was dead, son of Rechab, into the house of Baal, and she arose, and destroyed all the seed royal. said unto the worshippers of Baal, Search, 2. But Jehosheba the daughter of king and look that there be here with you none of Joram, sister of Ahaziah, toak Joash the son the servants of the LORD, but the worship- of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the pers of Baal only.
king's sons which were slain ; and they hid 24. And when they went in to offer sacri-bim, even him and his nurse, in the bed-chamfices and burnt-offerings, Jehu appointed | ber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
3. And he was with her hid in the house 16. And they laid hands on her: and she of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did went by the way by the which the horses came reign over the land.
into the king's house: and there was she slain. 4. And the seventh year Jehoiada sent 17. And Jehoiada made a covenant leand fetched the rulers over hundreds, with tween the Lord and the king and the peothe captains and the guard, and brought ple, that they should be the LORD's people; them to him into the house of the LORD, between the king also and the people. and made a covenant with them, and took 18 And all the people of the land went into an oath of them in the house of the Lord, the house of Baal, and brake it down; his and showed them the king's son.
altars and his images brake they in pieces 5. And he commanded them, saying, This thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of is the thing that ye shall do: A third part of Baal before the altars. And the priest apyou that enter in on the sabbath shall even pointed officers over the house of the LORD. be keepers of the watch of the king's house; 19. And he took the rulers over hundreds,
6. And a third part shall be at the gate of and the captains, and the guard, and all Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the the people of the land; and they brought , guard : so shall ye keep the watch of the down the king from the house of the LORD, house, that it be not broken down.
and came by the way of the gate of the 7. And two parts of all you that go forth guard to the king's house. And he sat on on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch the throne of the kings. of the house of the Lord about the king. 20. And all the people of the land rejoiced,
8. And ye shall compass the king round and the city was in quiet: and they slew Athaabout, every man with his weapons in his liah with the sword beside the king's house. hand : and he that cometh within the ranges, 21. Seven years old was Jehoash when let him be slain : and be ye with the king he began to reign. as he goeth out, and as he cometh in.
CHAP. XII. 9. And the captains over the hundreds Jehoash reigneth well all the days of Jehoiada. did according to all things that Jehoiada 1. N the seventh year of Jehu, Jehoash
IN the priest commanded : and they took every began to reign; and forty years reigoman his men that were to come in on the ed he in Jerusalem: and his mother's naine sabbath, with them that should go out on the was Zibiah of Beer-sheba. sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest. 2. And Jehoash did that which was right
10. And to the captains over hundreds in the sight of the LORD all his days wherein did the priest give king David's spears and Jehoiada the priest instructed him. shields, that were in the templeof the LORD. 3. But the high places were not taken
11. And the guard stood, every man with away: the people still sacrificed and burnt his weapons in his hand, round about the incense in the high places. king, from the right corner of the temple to 4. And Jehoash said to the priests, All the left corner of the temple, along by the the money of the dedicated things that is altar and the temple.
brought into the house of the LOŘD, even the 12. And he brought forth the king's son, money of every one that passeth the account, and put the crown upon him, and give him the money that every man is set at, and all the testimony: and they made him king, and the money that cometh into any man's heart anointed him; and they clapped their hands, to bring into the house of the LORD, and said, God save the king.
5. Let the priests take it to them, every 13. And when Athaliah heard the noise man of his acquaintance; and let them of the guard and of the people, she came to repair the breaches of the house, wherethe people into the temple of the Lord.
soever any breach shall be found. 14. And when she looked, behold, the 6. But it was so, that, in the three and king stood by a pillar, as the manner was, twentieth year of king Jehoash, the priests and the princes and the trumpeters by the bad not repaired the breaches of the house. king; and all the people of the land rejoiced, 7. Then king Jehoash called for Jehoiada and blew with trumpets: and Athaliah rent the priest, and the other priests, and said her clothes, and cried, Treason, treason! unto them, Why repair ye not the breaches
15. But Jehoiada the priest commanded the of the house? Now, therefore, receive no captains of the hundreds, the officers of the more money of your acquaintance, but dehost, and said unto them, Have her forth with-liver it for the breaches of the house. outthe ranges; and him that followeth her kill 8. And the priests consented to receive with the sword. For the priest had said, Let no more money of the people, neither to her not be slain in the house of the LORD. repair the breaches of the house.