« PreviousContinue »
house of Ahab in Jezreel, and all his great || fourscore men without, and said, If any of men, and his kinsfolks, and his priests, until he left him none remaining.
the men whom I have brought into your hands escape, he that letteth him go, his life shall be for the life of him.
25. And it came to pass, as soon as he had made an end of offering the burnt-offering, that Jehu said to the guard and to the captains, Go in, and slay them; let none come forth. And they smote them with the edge of the sword; and the guard and the captains cast them out, and went to the city of the house of Baal.
12. And he arose and departed, and came to Samaria. And as he was at the shearinghouse in the way,
13. Jehu met with the brethren of Ahaziah king of Judah, and said, Who are ye? And they answered, We are the brethren of Ahaziah; and we go down to salute the children of the king, and the children of the queen.
14. And he said, Take them alive. And they took them alive, and slew them at the pit of the shearing-house, even two and forty men: neither left he any of them.
15. And when he was departed thence, he lighted on Jehonadab the son of Rechab, coming to meet him: and he saluted him, and said to him, Is thine heart right, as my heart is with thy heart? And Jehonadab answered, It is. If it be, give me thine hand. And he gave him his hand; and he took him up to him into the chariot.
16. And he said, Come with me, and see my zeal for the LORD. So they made him ride in his chariot.
17. And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed him, according to the saying of the LORD,which he spake to Elijah.
18. And Jehu gathered all the people together, and said unto them, Ahab served Baal a little, but Jehu shall serve him much. 19. Now therefore call unto me all the prophets of Baal, all his servants, and all his priests; let none be wanting: for I have a great sacrifice to do to Baal: whosoever shall be wanting, he shall not live. But Jehu did it in subtilty, to the intent that he might destroy the worshippers of Baal.
20. And Jehu said, Proclaim a solemn assembly for Baal. And they proclaimed it.
21. And Jehu sent through all Israel; and all the worshippers of Baal came, so that there was not a man left that came not: and they came into the house of Baal; and the house of Baal was full from one end to another.
22. And he said unto him that was over the vestry, Bring forth vestments for all the worshippers of Baal. And he brought them forth vestments.
23. And Jehu went, and Jehonadab the son of Rechab, into the house of Baal, and said unto the worshippers of Baal, Search, and look that there be here with you none of the servants of the LORD, but the worshippers of Baal only.
24. And when they went in to offer sacrifices and burnt-offerings, Jehu appointed
26. And they brought forth the images out of the house of Baal, and burned them.
27. And they brake down the image of Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, and made it a draught-house unto this day.
28. Thus Jehudestroyed Baal out of Israel. 29. Howbeit, from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin, Jehu departed not from after them, to wit, the golden calves that were in Beth-el, and that were in Dan.
30. And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel.
31. But Jehu took no heed to walk in the law of the LORD God of Israel with all his heart: for he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam, which made Israel to sin.
32. In those days the LORD began to cut Israel short: and Hazael smote them in all the coasts of Israel;
33. From Jordan eastward, all the land of Gilead, the Gadites, and the Reubenites, and the Manassites, from Aroer, (which is by the river Arnon,) even Gilead and Bashan.
34. Now the rest of the acts of Jehu, and all that he did, and all his might, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel?
35. And Jehu slept with his fathers; and they buried him in Samaria. And Jehoahaz his son reigned in his stead.
36. And the time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty and eight years. CHAP. XI.
13 Athaliah slain. 17 Jehoiada restoreth the worship of God. 1. ND when Athaliah, the mother of
she arose, and destroyed all the seed royal.
2. But Jehosheba the daughter of king Joram, sister of Ahaziah, toak Joash the son of Ahaziah, and stole him from among the king's sons which were slain; and they hid him, even him and his nurse, in the bed-cham ber from Athaliah, so that he was not slain.
3. And he was with her hid in the house || of the LORD six years. And Athaliah did reign over the land.
4. And the seventh year Jehoiada sent and fetched the rulers over hundreds, with the captains and the guard, and brought them to him into the house of the LORD, and made a covenant with them, and took an oath of them in the house of the LORD, and showed them the king's son.
5. And he commanded them, saying, This is the thing that ye shall do: A third part of you that enter in on the sabbath shall even be keepers of the watch of the king's house;
6. And a third part shall be at the gate of Sur; and a third part at the gate behind the guard: so shall ye keep the watch of the house, that it be not broken down.
7. And two parts of all you that go forth on the sabbath, even they shall keep the watch of the house of the LORD about the king.
8. And ye shall compass the king round about, every man with his weapons in his hand and he that cometh within the ranges, let him be slain: and be ye with the king as he goeth out, and as he cometh in.
11. And the guard stood, every man with his weapons in his hand, round about the king, from the right corner of the temple to the left corner of the temple, along by the altar and the temple.
9. And the captains over the hundreds
Jehoash reigneth well all the days of Jehoiada.
N the seventh of Jehu, Jehoash
did according to all things that Jehoiada 1. began to reign; and forty years reignthe priest commanded: and they took every man his men that were to come in on the sabbath, with them that should go out on the sabbath, and came to Jehoiada the priest.
ed he in Jerusalem: and his mother's name was Zibiah of Beer-sheba.
10. And to the captains over hundreds did the priest give king David's spears and shields, that were in the temple of the LORD.
2. And Jehoash did that which was right in the sight of the LORD all his days wherein Jehoiada the priest instructed him.
12. And he brought forth the king's son, and put the crown upon him, and gave him the testimony: and they made him king, and anointed him ; and they clapped their hands, and said, God save the king.
16. And they laid hands on her: and she went by the way by the which the horses came into the king's house: and there was she slain.
3. But the high places were not taken away: the people still sacrificed and burnt incense in the high places.
4. And Jehoash said to the priests, All the money of the dedicated things that is brought into the house of the LORD, even the money of every one that passeth the account, the money that every man is set at, and all the money that cometh into any man's heart to bring into the house of the LORD,
5. Let the priests take it to them, every man of his acquaintance; and let them repair the breaches of the house, wheresoever any breach shall be found.
6. But it was so, that, in the three and twentieth year of king Jehoash, the priests had not repaired the breaches of the house.
7. Then king Jehoash called for Jehoiada the priest, and the other priests, and said unto them, Why repair ye not the breaches of the house? Now, therefore, receive no more money of your acquaintance, but de
15. But Jehoiada the priest commanded the captains of the hundreds, the officers of the host, and said unto them, Have her forth with-liver it for the breaches of the house.
13. And when Athaliah heard the noise of the guard and of the people, she came to the people into the temple of the LORD.
14. And when she looked, behold, the king stood by a pillar, as the manner was, and the princes and the trumpeters by the king; and all the people of the land rejoiced, and blew with trumpets: and Athaliah rent her clothes, and cried, Treason, treason!
17. And Jehoiada made a covenant between the LORD and the king and the people, that they should be the LORD's people; between the king also and the people.
18 And all the people of the land went into the house of Baal, and brake it down; his altars and his images brake they in pieces thoroughly, and slew Mattan the priest of Baal before the altars. And the priest appointed officers over the house of the LORD.
out the ranges; and him that followeth her kill with the sword. For the priest had said, Let her not be slain in the house of the LORD.
19. And he took the rulers over hundreds, and the captains, and the guard, and all the people of the land; and they brought down the king from the house of the LORD, and came by the way of the gate of the guard to the king's house. And he sat on the throne of the kings.
20. And all the people of the land rejoiced, and the city was in quiet: and they slew Athaliah with the sword beside the king's house. 21. Seven years old was Jehoash when he began to reign.
8. And the priests consented to receive no more money of the people, neither to repair the breaches of the house.
9. But Jehoiada the priest took a chest, and bored a hole in the lid of it, and set it beside the altar, on the right side as one cometh into the house of the LORD: and the priests that kept the door put therein all the money that was brought into the house of the LORD.
10. And it was so, when they saw that there was much money in the chest, that the king's scribe and the high priest came up, and they put up in bags, and told the money that was found in the house of the LORD.
11. And they gave the money, being told, into the hands of them that did the work, that had the oversight of the house of the LORD: and they laid it out to the carpenters and builders that wrought upon the house of the LORD,
12. And to masons, and hewers of stone, and to buy timber and hewed stone to repair the breaches of the house of the LORD, and for all that was laid out for the house to repair it.
13. Howbeit, there were not made for the house of the LORD bowls of silver, snuffers, basons, trumpets, any vessels of gold, or vessels of silver, of the money that was brought into the house of the LORD:
14. But they gave that to the workmen, and repaired therewith the house of the LORD.
15. Moreover, they reckoned not with the men, into whose hand they delivered the money to be bestowed on workmen: for they dealt faithfully.
16. The trespass-money and sin-money was not brought into the house of the LORD: it was the priests'.
17. Then Hazael king of Syria went up, and fought against Gath, and took it: and Hazael set his face to go up to Jerusalem.
18. And Jehoash king of Judah took all the hallowed things that Jehoshaphat, and Jehoram, and Ahaziah, his fathers, kings of Judah, had dedicated, and his own hallowed things, and all the gold that was found in the treasures of the house of the LORD, and in the king's house, and sent it to Hazael king of Syria: and he went away from Jerusalem. 19. And the rest of the acts of Jehoash, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah? 20. And his servants arose, and made a conspiracy, and slew Jehoash in the house of Millo, which goeth down to Silla.
21. For Jozachar the son of Shimeath, and Jehozabad the son of Shomer, his servants, smote him, and he died; and they buried him with his fathers in the city of David: and Amaziah his son reigned in his stead.
4. And Jehoahaz besought the LORD, and the LORD hearkened unto him; for he saw the oppression of Israel, because the king of Syria oppressed them.
5. (And the LORD gave Israel a saviour, so that they went out from under the hand of the Syrians: and the children of Israel dwelt in their tents as beforetime.
6. Nevertheless they departed not from the sins of the house of Jeroboam, who made Israel sin, but walked therein: and there remained the grove also in Samaria.)
7. Neither did he leave of the people to Jehoahaz but fifty horsemen, and ten chariots, and ten thousand footmen; for the king of Syria had destroyed them, and had made them like the dust by threshing.
8. Now the rest of the acts of Jehoahaz, and all that he did, and his might, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel?
9. And Jehoahaz slept with his fathers; and they buried him in Samaria: and Joash his son reigned in his stead.
10. In the thirty and seventh year of Joash king of Judah, began Jehoash the son of Jehoahaz to reign over Israel in Samaria, and reigned sixteen years.
11. And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD; he departed not from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel sin; but he walked therein.
12. And the rest of the acts of Joash, and all that he did, and his might wherewith he fought against Amaziah king of Judah, are they not written in the book of the. Chronicles of the kings of Israel?
13. And Joash slept with his fathers; and Jeroboam sat upon his throne: and Joash was buried in Samaria with the kings of Israel.
14. Now Elisha was fallen sick, of his sickness whereof he died. And Joash the king of Israel came down unto him, and wept over his face, and said, O my father
my father! the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof!
15. And Elisha said unto him, Take bow and arrows: and he took unto him bow and
16. And he said to the king of Israel, Put thine hand upon the bow: and he put his hand upon it; and Elisha put his hands upon the king's hands.
17. And he said, Open the window eastward: and he opened it. Then Elisha said, Shoot: and he shot. And he said, The arrow of the LORD's deliverance, and the arrow of deliverance from Syria; for thou shalt smite the Syrians in Aphek till thou have consumed them.
18. And he said, Take the arrows: and he took them. And he said unto the king of Israel, Smite upon the ground: and he smote thrice, and stayed.
19. And the man of God was wroth with him, and said, Thou shouldest have smitten five or six times, then hadst thou smitten Syria till thou hadst consumed it: whereas now thou shalt smite Syria but thrice.
20. ¶ And Elisha died, and they buried him. And the bands of the Moabites invaded the land at the coming in of the year.
21. And it came to pass, as they were burying a man, that, behold, they spied a band of men; and they cast the man into the sepulchre of Elisha: and when the man was let down, and touched the bones of Elisha, he revived, and stood up on his feet.
22. ¶ But Hazael king of Syria oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz.
23. And the LORD was gracious unto them, and had compassion on them, and had respect unto them, because of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not destroy them, neither cast he them from his presence as yet.
24. So Hazael king of Syria died; and Ben-hadad his son reigned in his stead.
25. And Jehoash, the son of Jehoahaz, took again, out of the hand of Ben-hadad the son of Hazael, the cities which he had taken out of the hand of Jehoahaz his father by war: three times did Joash beat him, and recovered the cities of Israel.
1 Amaziah's good reign: 5 His justice on the murderers of his father. N the second year of Joash, son of Jehoahaz king of Israel, reigned Amaziah, the son of Joash king of Judah.
2. He was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem: and his mother's name was Jehoaddan of Jerusalem.
3. And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, yet not like David his father: he did according to all things as Joash his father did.
4. Howbeit the high places were not taken away: as yet the people did sacrifice and burnt incense on the high places.
5. And it came to pass, as soon as the kingdom was confirmed in his hand, that he slew his servants which had slain the king his father.
6. But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
7. He slew of Edom, in the valley of Salt, ten thousand, and took Selah by war, and called the name of it Joktheel unto this day.
8. Then Amaziah sent messengers to Jehoash, the son of Jehoahaz, son of Jehu king of Israel, saying, Come, let us look one another in the face.
9. And Jehoash the king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, The thistle that was in Lebanon sent to the cedar that was in Lebanon, saying, Give thy daughter to my son to wife: and there passed by a wild beast that was in Lebanon, and trode down the thistle.
10. Thou hast indeed smitten Edom, and thine heart hath lifted thee up: glory of this, and tarry at home; for why shouldest thou meddle to thy hurt, that thou shouldest fall, even thou, and Judah with thee?
11. But Amaziah would not hear: therefore Jehoash king of Israel went up; and he and Amaziah king of Judah looked one another in the face at Beth-shemesh, which belongeth to Judah.
12. And Judah was put to the worse before Israel; and they fled every man to their tents.
13. And Jehoash king of Israel took Amaziah king of Judah, the son of Jehoash, the son of Ahaziah, at Beth-shemesh, and came to Jerusalem, and brake down the wall of Jerusalem, from the gate of Ephraim unto the corner-gate, four hundred cubits.
14. And he took all the gold and silver, and all the vessels that were found in the house of the LORD, and in the treasures of the king's house, and hostages, and returned to Samaria.
15. Now the rest of the acts of Jenoash which he did, and his might, and how he fought with Amaziah king of Judah, are
they not written in the book of the Chroni- || cles of the kings of Israel?
16. And Jehoash slept with his fathers, and was buried in Samaria with the kings of Israel; and Jeroboam his son reigned in his stead.
3. And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father Amaziah had done;
4. Save that the high places were not removed: the people sacrificed and burnt incense still on the high places.
5. And the LORD smote the king, so that he was a leper unto the day of his death, and dwelt in a several house. And Jotham the king's son was over the house, judging the people of the land.
6. And the rest of the acts of Azariah, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah?
21. And all the people of Judah took Azariah, which was sixteen years old, and made him king instead of his father Amaziah.
7. So Azariah slept with his fathers; and they buried him with his fathers in the city of David: and Jotham his son reigned in his stead.
8. In the thirty and eighth year of Aza
22. He built Elath, and restored it to Ju-iah king of Judah, did Zachariah the son dah, after that the king slept with his fathers. of Jeroboam reign over Israel in Samaria 23. In the fifteenth year of Amaziah the six months. son of Joash king of Judah, Jeroboam the son of Joash king of Israel began to reign in Samaria, and reigned forty and one years. 24. And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD: he departed not from all the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.
9. And he did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD, as his fathers had done: he departed not from the sins of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, who made Israel to sin.
17. And Amaziah the son of Joash king of Judah lived after the death of Jehoash, son of Jehoahaz king of Israel, fifteen years. 18. And the rest of the acts of Amaziah, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah?
19. Now they made a conspiracy against him in Jerusalem: and he fled to Lachish; but they sent after him to Lachish, and slew him there.
20. And they brought him on horses; and he was buried at Jerusalem with his fathers, in the city of David.
25. He restored the coast of Israel from the entering of Hamath unto the sea of the plain, according to the word of the LORD God of Israel, which he spake by the hand of his servant Jonah, the son of Amittai, the prophet, which was of Gath-hepher.
26. For the LORD saw the affliction of Israel, that it was very bitter: for there was not any shut up, nor any left, nor any helper for Israel.
27. And the LORD said not that he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven: but he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam the son of Joash.
2. Sixteen years old was he when he began to reign, and he reigned two and fifty years in Jerusalem: and his mother's name was Jecholiah of Jerusalem.
28. Now the rest of the acts of Jeroboam, and all that he did, and his might, how he warred, and how he recovered Damascus, and Hamath, which belonged to Judah, for Israel, are they not written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel?
29. And Jeroboam slept with his fathers, even with the kings of Israel; and Zachariah his son reigned in his stead. CHAP. XV.
1 Azariah's good reign : 5 Jotham succeedeth him. 1. TN the twenty and seventh year of Jeroboam king of Israel, began Azariah son of Amaziah king of Judah to reign.
10. And Shallum the son of Jabesh conspired against him, and smote him before the people,and slew him,and reigned in his stead.
11. And the rest of the acts of Zachariah, behold, they are written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel.
12. This was the word of the LORD which he spake unto Jehu, saying, Thy sons shal. sit on the throne of Israel unto the fourth generation. And so it came to pass.
13. Shallum the son of Jabesh began to reign in the nine and thirtieth year of Uzziah king of Judah; and he reigned a full month in Samaria.
14. For Menahem the son of Gadi went up from Tirzah, and came to Samaria, and smote Shallum the son of Jabesh in Samaria, and slew him, and reigned in his stead.
15. And the rest of the acts of Shallum, and his conspiracy which he made, behold, they are written in the book of the Chronicles of the kings of Israel.
16. Then Menahem smote Tiphsah, and all that were therein, and the coast thereof from Tirzah: because they opened not to him, therefore he smote it; and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up.
17. In the nine and thirtieth year of Azariah king of Judah, began Menahem the son of Gadi to reign over Israel, and reigned ten years in Samaria.