« PreviousContinue »
became vain, and went after the heathen them the manner of the God of the land. that were round about them, concerning 28. Then one of the priests, whom they whom the LORD had charged them, that had carried away from Samaria, came and they should not do like them.
dwelt in Beth-el, and taught them how they 16. And they left all the commandments should fear the LORD. of the LORD their God, and made them 29. Howbeit every nation made gods of molten images, even two calves, and made a their own, and put them in the houses of the grove, and worshipped all the host of heaven, high places which the Samaritans had made, and served Baal.
every nation in their cities wherein they 17. And they caused their sons and their dwelt. daughters to pass through the fire, and used 30. And the men of Babylon made Sucdivination and enchantments, and sold them- coth-benoth, and the men of Cuth made Nerselves to do evil in the sight of the LORD, to gal, and the men of Hamath made Ashima, provoke him to anger,
31. And the Avites made Nibhaz and 18. Therefore the LORD was very angry Tartak, and the Sepharvites burnt their with Israel, and removed them out of his children in fire to Adrammelech and Anamsight: there was none left but the tribe of melech, the gods of Sepharvaim. Judah only.
32. So they feared the LORD, and made 19. Also Judah kept not the command- unto themselves of the lowest of them priests ments of the LORD their God, but walked of the high places, which sacrificed for them in the statutes of Israel which they made in the houses of the high places.
20. And the LORD rejected all the seed 33. They feared the LORD, and served of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered their own gods, after the manner of the nathem into the hand of spoilers, until he had tions whom they carried away from thence. cast them out of his sight.
34. Unto this day they do after the former 21. For he rent Israel from the house of manners: they fear not the LORD, neither David; and they made Jeroboam, the son do they after their statutes, or after their of Nebat, king: and Jeroboam drave Israel ordinances, or after the law and commandfrom following the LORD, and made them ment which the LORD commanded the childsin a great sin.
ren of Jacob, whom he named Israel; 22. For the children of Israel walked in 35. With whom the LORD had made a all the sins of Jeroboam which he did; they covenant, and charged them, saying, Ye shall departed not from them ;
not fear other gods, nor bow yourselves to 23. Until the Lord removed Israel out of them, nor serve them, nor sacrifice to them : his sight, as he had said by all his servants the 36. But the LORD, who brought you up prophets. So was Israel carried away out out of the land of Egypt with great power of their own land to Assyria unto this day. and a stretched-out arm, him shall ye fear,
24. And the king of Assyria brought men and him shall ye worship, and to him shall from Babylon, and from Cuthah, and from ye do sacrifice. Ava, and from Hamath, and from Sephar- 37. And the statutes, and the ordinances, vaim, and placed them in the cities of Sa- and the law, and the commandment, which maria, instead of the children of Israel : and he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do foi they possessed Samaria, and dwelt in the evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods cities thereof.
38. And the covenant that I have made 25. And so it was, at the beginning of with you ye shall not forget, neither shall their dwelling there, that they feared not ye fear other gods. the LORD; therefore the LORD sent lions 39. But the LORD your God ye shall fear; among them, which slew some of them. and he shall deliver you out of the hand of
26. Wherefore they spake to the king all your enemies. of Assyria, saying, The nations which thou 40. Howbeit they did not hearken, but
hast removed, and placed in the cities of they did after their former manner. : Samaria, know not the manner of the God 41. So these nations feared the LORD, and
of the land: therefore he hath sent lions served their graven images, both their childamong them, and, behold, they slay them, ren and their children's children: as did their because they know not the manner of the fathers, so do they unto this day. God of the land.
CHAP. XVIII. 27. Then the king of Assyria command-i Hezekiak's good reign: 4 He destroyeth idolatry, and ed, saying, Carry thither one of the priests
prospereth. whom ye brought from thence; and let 1. TOW it came to pass, in the third year them
and dwell there, and let him teach
that Hezekiah the son of Ahaz king of Judah 15. And Hezekiah gave him all the silver began to reign.
that was found in the house of the LORD, 2. Twenty and five years old was he | and in the treasures of the king's house. when he began to reign; and he reigned 16. At that time did Hezekiah cut off the twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. His gold from the doors of the temple of the mother's name also was Abi, the daughter LORD, and from the pillars which Heze. of Zachariab.
kiah king of Judah had overlaid, and gave 3. And he did that which was right in the it to the king of Assyria. sight of the LORD, according to all that 17. | And the king of Assyria sent TarDavid his father did.
tan, and Rabsaris, and Rab-shakeh, from 4. He removed the high places, and brake Lachish to king Hezekiah, with a great host the images, and cut down the groves, and against Jerusalem: and they went up, and brake in pieces the brazen serpent that came to Jerusalem. And when they were Moses had made: for unto those days the come up, they came and stood by the conchildren of Israel did burn incense to it: duit of the upper pool, which is in the highand he called it Nehushtan.
way of the fuller's field. 5. He trusted in the LORD God of Israel; 18. And when they had called to the so that after him was none like him anong | king, there came out to them Eliakim the all the kings of Judah, nor any that were son of Hilkiah, which was over the housebefore him.
hold, and Shebna the scribe, and Joah the 6. For he clave to the LORD, and de- , son of Asaph the recorder. parted not from following him, but kept his 19. And Rab-shakeh said unto them, commandments, which the LORD com- Speak ye now to Hezekiah, Thus saith manded Moses.
the great king, the king of Assyria, What 7. And the LORD was with him; and he confidence is this wherein thou trustest? prospered whithersoever he went forth: and 20. Thou sayest (but they are but vain he rebelled against the king of Assyria, and words,) I have counsel and strength for the served him not.
war. Now, on whom dost thou trust, that 8. He smote the Philistines, even unto thou rebellest against me ? Gaza, and the borders thereof, from the 21. Now, behold, thou trustest upon the tower of the watchmen to the fenced city. staff of this bruised reed, even upon Egypt,
9. And it came to pass in the fourth year on which if a man lean it will go into his of king Hezekiah, which was the seventh hand and pierce it: so is Pharaoh king of year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, Egypt unto all that trust on him. ihat Shalmaneser king of Assyria came up 22. But if ye say unto me, We trust in against Samaria, and besieged it.
the LORD our God: is not that he whose 10. And at the end of three years they high places and whose altars Hezekiah hath took it, even in the sixth year of Hezekiah taken away; and hath said to Judah and (that is, the ninth year of Hoshea king of Jerusalem, Ye shall worship before this altar Israel) Samaria was taken.
in Jerusalem ? 11. And the king of Assyria did carry 23. Now therefore, I pray thee, give away Israel unto Assyria, and put them in pledges to my lord the king of Assyria, and Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, I will deliver thee two thousand horses, and in the cities of the Medes :
if thou be able on thy part to set riders 12. Because they obeyed not the voice upon them. of the LORD their God, but transgressed 24. How then wilt thou turn away the his covenant, and all that Moses the ser-faceof one captain of the least of my master's vant of the Lord commanded, and would servants, and put thy trust on Egypt for chanot hear them, nor do them.
riots and for horsemen? 13. I Now, in the fourteenth year of king 25. Am I now come up without the LORD Hezekiah did Sennacherib king of Assyria against this place to destroy it? The LORD come up against all the fenced cities of said to me, Go up against this land, and Judah, and took them.
destroy it. 14. And Hezekiah king of Judah sent 26. Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, to the king of Assyria to Lachish, saying, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rab-shakeh, I have offended; return from me:
me: that Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the which thou puttest on me will I bear. And Syrian language; for we understand it: and the king of Assyria appointed unto Heze- talk not with us in the Jews' language, in kiah king of Judah three hundred talents of the ears of the people that are on the wall. silver and thirty talents of gold.
27. But Rab-shakeh said unto them, Hath
my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, || of rebuke, and blasphemy: for the children to speak these words ? hath he not sent me are come to the birth, and there is not to the men which sit on the wall, that they strength to bring forth. may eat their own dung, and drink their 4. It may be the LORD thy God will hear own piss, with you?
all the words of Rab-shakeh, whom the king 28. Then Rab-shakeh stood, and cried of Assyria bis master hath sent to reproach with a loud voice in the Jews' language, and the living God; and will reprove the words spake, saying, Hear the word of the great which the LORD thy God hath heard: king, the king of Assyria :
wherefore lift up thy prayer for the remnant 29. Thus saith the king, Let not Hezekiah that are left. deceive you; for he shall not be able to 5. So the servants of king Hezekiah deliver you out of his hand :
came to Isaiah. 30. Neither let Hezekiah make you trust 6. And Isaiah said unto them, Thus shall in the LORD, saying, The Lord will surely ye say to your master, Thus saith the LORD, deliver and this city shall not be delivered Be not afraid of the words which thou hast into the hand of the king of Assyria. heard, with which the servants of the king
31. Hearken not to Hezekiah: for thus of Assyria have blasphemed me. saith the king of Assyria
, Make an agreement 7. Behold, I will send upon him, with me by a present, and come out to me, and he shall hear a rumour, and shall return and then eat ye every inan of his own vine, to his own land; and I will cause him to and every one of his fig-tree, and drink ye fall by the sword in his own land. every one the waters of his cistern;
8. So Rab-shakeh returned, and found 32. Until I come and take you away to a the king of Assyria warring against Libnah: land like your own land; a land of corn and for he had heard that he was departed from wine, a land of bread and vineyards, a land Lachish. of oil-olive and of honey, that ye may live 9. And when he heard say of Tirhakah and not die: and hearken not unto Heze- king of Ethiopia, Behold, he is come out kiah, when he persuadeth you, saying, The to fight against thee; he sent messengers LORD will deliver us.
again unto Hezekiah, saying, 33. Hath any of the gods of the nations 10. Thus shall ye speak to Hezekiah king delivered at all his land out of the hand of of Judah, saying, Let not thy God in whom the king of Assyria?
thou trustest deceive thee, saying, Jerusa34. Where are the gods of Hamath, and lem shall not be delivered into the hand of of Arpad ? where are the gods of Sephar- the king of Assyria. vaim, Hena, and Ivah? have they delivered 11. Behold, thou hast heard what the Samaria out of mine hand?
kings of Assyria have done to all lands, by 35. Who are they, among all the gods destroying them utterly; and shalt thou be of the countries, that have delivered their delivered? country out of mine hand, that the LORD 12. Have the gods of the nations delivered should deliver Jerusalem out of mine hand ? them which my fathers have destroyed; as
36. But the people held their peace, and Gozan, and Haran, and Rezeph, and the answered him not a word: for the king's children of Eden which were in Thelasar? commandment was, saying, Answer him not. 13. Where is the king of Hamath, and
37. Then came Eliakim the son of Hil the king of Arpad, and the king of the city kiah, which was over the household, and of Sepharvaim, of Hena, and Ivah ? Shebna the scribe, and Joah the son of Asaph 14. And Hezekiah received the letter of the recorder, to Hezekiah, with their clothes the hand of the messengers, and read it: rent, and told him the words of Rab-shakeh. and Hezekiah went up into the house of CHAP. XIX.
the LORD, and spread it before the LORD. Hezekiah mourning, sendeth to Isaiah to pray for him. 15. And Hezekiah prayed before the
ND it came to pass, when king He- LORD, and said, O LORD God of Israel,
zekiah heard it, that he rent his which dwellest between the cherubims, thou clothes, and covered himself with sackcloth, art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingand went into the house of the LORD. doms of the earth; thou hast made heaven
2. And he sent Eliakim, which was over and earth. the household, and Shebna the scribe, and 16. LORD, bow down thine ear, and hear: the elders of the priests, covered with sack- open, Lord, thine eyes, and see; and hear cloth, to Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz. the words of Sennacherib, which hath sent
3. And they said unto him, Thus saith | him to reproach the living God. Hezekiah, This day is a day of trouble and 17. Of a truth, LORD, the kings of Assyria have destroyed the nations and their lands, || house of Judah shall yet again take root
18. And have cast their gods into the downward, and bear fruit upward. fire: for they were no gods, but the work of 31. For out of Jerusalem shall go forth a men's hands, wood and stone; therefore remnant, and they that escape out of mount they have destroyed them.
Zion:the zealof the Lord of hosts shall do this. 19. Now therefore, O LORD our God, I 32. Therefore thus saith the Lord conbeseech thee, save thou us out of his hand, cerning the king of Assyria, He shall not that all the kingdoms of the earth may know come into this city, nor shoot an arrow there, that thou art the LORD God, even thou only. nor come before it with shield, nor cast a
20. Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to | bank against it. Hezekiah, saying, Thus saith the Lord 33. By the way that he came, by the God of Israel, That which thou hast pray- same shall be return, and shall not come into ed to me against Sennacherib king of Assy. this city, saith the LORD. ria I have heard.
34. For I will defend this city to save 21. This is the word that the Lord hath it, for mine own sake, and for my servant spoken concerning him; The virgin the David's sake. daughter of Zion hath despised thee, and 35. And it came to pass that night, that laughed thee to scorn; the daughter of Jeru- the angel of the LORD went out, and smote salem hath shaken her head at thee. in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred
22. Whom hast thou reproached and fourscore and five thousand: and when they blasphemed ? and against whom hast thou arose early in the morning, behold, they exalted thy voice, and lifted up thine eyes on
were all dead corpses. high! even against the Holy One of Israel. 36. So Sennacherib king of Assyria de.
23. By thy messengers thou hast reproach-parted, and went and returned, and dwelt ed the Lord, and hast said, With the multi-at Nineveh. tude of my chariots I am come up to the 37. And it came to pass, as he was worheight of the mountains, to the sides of shipping in the house of Nisroch his god, Lebanon, and will cut down the tall cedar-that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons trees thereof, and the choice fir-trees thereof: smote him with the sword: and they escaped and I will enter into the lodgings of his into the land of Armenia. And Esar-hadborders, and into the forest of his Carmel. don his son reigned in his stead. 24. I have digged and drunk strange
CHAP. XX. waters, and with the sole of my feet have I 1 Hezekiah, by prayer, hath his life lengthened. 20 Madried up all the rivers of besieged places.
23. Hast thou not heard long ago how I || 1. N those days was Hezekiah sick unto have done it, and of ancient times that I have death. And the prophet. Isajah the forined it? now have I brought it to pass, son of Amoz came to bim, and said unto that thou shouldest be to lay waste fenced bim, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house cities into ruinous heaps.
in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. 26. Therefore their inhabitants were of 2. Then he turned his face to the wall, small power, they were dismayed and con- and prayed unto the Lord, saying, founded; they were as the grass of the field, 3. 'I beseech thee, O Lord, remember and as the green herb, as the grass on the now how I have walked before thee in truth house-tops, and as corn blasted before it and with a perfect heart, and have done that be grown up:
which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah 27. But I know thy abode, and thy going || wept sore. out, and thy coming in, and thy rage against 4. And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was
gone out into the middle court, that the word 23. Because thy rage against me and thy of the Lord came to bin, saying, tumult is come up into mine ears, therefore 5. Turn again, and tell Hezekiah, the capI will pat my hook in' thy nose, and my britain of my people, Thus saith the Lord, the dle in thy lips, and I will turn thee back by God of David thy father, I have heara tny the way by which thou camest.
prayer, I have seen thy tears : behold, I, 29. And this shall be a sign unto thee, Ye I will heal thee; on the third day thou shalt shall eat this year such things as grow of go up unto the house of the LORD. themselves, and in the second year that 6. And I will add unto thy days fifteen which springeth of the same; and in the third years; and I will deliver thee and this city year sow ye and reap, and plant vineyards, out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and and eat the fruits thereof.
I will defend this city for mine own sake, 30, And the remnant that is escaped of the land for my servant David's sake.
nasseh succeedeth him.
7. And Isaiah said, Take a lump of figs. | and a conduit, and brought water into the And they took and laid it on the boil, and city, are they not written in the book of the he recovered.
Chronicles of the kings of Judah ? 8. And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What 21. And Hezekiah slept with his fathers : shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and Manasseh bis son reigned in his stead. and that I shall go up into the house of the
CHAP. XXI. LORD the third day?
1 Manasseh's reign : 3 His great idolatry. 9. And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou 1.
of the LORDthat the will do the thing that he hath spoken: Shall the ed fifty and five years in Jerusalem. And shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back his mother's name was Hephzi-bah. ten degrees?
2. And he did that which was evil in the 10. And Hezekiah answered, It is a light sight of the LORD, after the abominations thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees of the heathen, whom the Lord cast out nay, but let the shadow return backward before the children of Israel. ten degrees.
3. For he built up again the high places 11. And Isaiah the prophet cried unto the which Hezekiah his father had destroyed ; LORD; and he brought the shadow ten de- and he reared up altars for Baal, and made grees backward, by which it had gone down a grove, as did Ahab king of Israel; and in the dial of Abaz.
worshipped all the host of heaven, and 12. | At that time Berodach-baladan, the served them. son of Baladan king of Babylon, sent let- 4. And he built altars in the house of the ters and a present unto Hezekiah: for he LORD, of which the LORD said, In Jerusahad heard that Hezekiah had been sick. Jem will I put my name.
13. And Hezekiah hearkened unto them, 5. And he built altars for all the host and showed them all the house of his precious of heaven in the two courts of the house things, the silver, and the gold, and the spices, of the LORD. and the precious ointment, and all the house 6. And he made his son pass through the of his armour, and all that was found in his fire, and observed times, and used enchanttreasures: there was nothing in his house, ments, and dealt with familiar spirits and nor in all his dominion, that Hezekiah wizards: he wrought much wickedness in showed them not.
the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to 14. Then came Isaiah the prophet unto anger. king Hezekiah, and said unto him, What 7. And he set a gráven image of the said these men ? and from whence came grove that he had made in the house, of they unto thee? And Hezekiah said, They which the LORD said to David, and to are come from a far country, even from Solomon his son, In this house, and in JeruBabylon.
salem, which I have chosen out of all the 15. And he said, What have they seen in tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever: thine house? And Hezekiah answered, All 8. Neither will I make the feet of Israel the things that are in mine house have they move any more out of the land which I gave seen: there is nothing among my treasures their fathers; only if they will observe to do that I have not showed them.
according to all that I have commanded 16. And Isaiah said unto Hezekiah, Hear them, and according to all the law that my the word of the Lord.
servant Moses commanded them. 17. Behold, the days come, that all that 9. But they hearkened not: and Mais in thine house, and that which thy fathers nasseh seduced them to do more evil than have laid up in store unto this day, shall be did the nations whom the LORD destroyed carried unto Babylon : nothing shall be left, before the children of Israel. saith the LORD.
10. And the Lord spake by his servants 18. And of thy sons that shall issue from the prophets, saying, thet, which thou shalt beget, shall they take 11. Because Manasseh king of Judah away; and they shall be eunuchs in the hath done these abominations, and hath palace of the king of Babylon.
done wickedly above all that the Amorites 19. Then said Hezekiah unto Isaiah, did, which were before him, and hath made Good is the word of the LORD which thou Judah also to sin with his idols; hast spoken. And he said, Is it not good, 12. Therefore thus saith the LORD God if peace and truth be in my days?
of Israel, Behold, I am bringing such evil 20. And the rest of the acts of Hezekiah, upon Jerusalem and Judah, that whosoever and all his might, and how he made a pool, I heareth of it, both his ears shall tingle.