« PreviousContinue »
13. And I will stretch over Jerusalem the 2. And he did that which was right in the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the sight of the Lord, and walked in all the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem way of David his father, and turned not as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turn- aside to the right hand or to the left. ing it upside down.
3. And it came to pass, in the eighteenth 14. And I will forsake the remnant of year of king Josiah, that the king sent mine inheritance, and deliver them into the Shaphan the son of Azaliah, the son of hand of their enemies; and they shall be- Meshullam the scribe, to the house of the come a prey and a spoil to all their enemies; Lord, saying,
15. Because they have done that which 4. Go up to Hilkiah the high priest, that was evil in my sight, and have provoked me he may sum the silver which is brought into to anger, since the day their fathers came the house of the Lord, which the keepers forth out of Egypt, even unto this day. of the door have gathered of the people:
16. Moreover, Manasseh shed innocent 5. And let them deliver it into the hand blood very much, till he had filled Jerusa- of the doers of the work, that have the lem from one end to another; beside his sin oversight of the house of the LORD: and wherewith he made Judah to sin, in doing let them give it to the doers of the work that which was evil in the sight of the Lord. which is in the house of the Lord, to repair
17. Now the rest of the acts of Manas- the breaches of the house. seh, and all that he did, and his sin that he 6. Unto carpenters, and builders, and sinned, are they not written in the book masons, and to buy timber and hewn stone of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah ? to repair the house.
18. And Manasseh slept with his fathers, 7. How beit there was no reckoning made and was buried in the garden of his own with them of the money that was delivered house, in the garden of Uzza : and Amon into their hand, because they dealt saithfully. his son reigned in his stead.
3. And Hilkiah the high priest said unto 19. Amon was twenty and two years old Shaphan the scribe, I have found the book when he began to reign; and he reigned two of the law in the house of the Lord. And years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name Hilkiah gave the book to Shaphan, and he was Meshulemeth, the daughter of Haruz read it. of Jotbah.
9. And Shaphan the scribe came to the 20. And he did that which was evil in the king, and brought the king word again, and sight of the LORD, as his father Manasseh said, Thy servants have gathered the money did.
that was found in the house, and have de21. And he walked in all the ways that livered it into the hand of them that do the his father walked in, and served the idols work, that have the oversight of the house that his father served, and worshipped them:of the LORD.
22. And he forsook the LORD God of bis 10. And Shaphan the scribe showed the fathers, and walked not in the way of the king, saying, Hilkiah the priest hath deliverLORD.
ed me a book. And Shaphan read it before 23. And the servants of Amon conspired the king. against him, and slew the king in his own 11. And it came to pass, when the king house.
had heard the words of the book of the 24. And the people of the land slew all law, that he rent his clothes. them that had conspired against king Amon; 12. And the king commanded Hilkiah and the people of the land made Josiah his the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, son king in his stead.
and Achbor the son of Michaiah, and Sha25. Now the rest of the acts of Amon phan the scribe, and Asahiah a servant of which he did, are they not written in the the king's, saying, book of the Chronicles of the kings of Judah? 13. Go ye, inquire of the Lord for me,
26. And he was buried in his sepulchre, and for the people, and for all Judah, conin the garden of Uzza: and Josiah his son cerning the words of this book that is found: reigned in his stead.
for great is the wrath of the LORD that is CHAP. XXII.
kindled against us, because our fathers have 1 Josiah's good reign. 8 Hilkiah findeth the book of the law.not hearkened unto the words of this book, 1. TOSIAH was eight years old when he to do according unto all that which is writ
began to reign; and he reigned thirty ten concerning us. and one years in Jerusalem. And bis mo- 14. So Hilkiah the priest, and A hikam, ther's name was Jedidah, the daughter of and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asabiah, Adaiah of Boscath.
went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife
of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of forth out of the temple of the Lord all the Harbas, keeper of the wardrobe ; (now she vessels that were made for Baal, and for the dwelt in Jerusalem in the college ;) and grove, and for all the host of heaven; and they communed with her.
he burnt them without Jerusalem in the 15. And she said unto them, Thus saith fields of Kidron, and carried the ashes of the LORD God of Israel, Tell the man that them unto Beth-el. sent you to me,
5. And he put down the idolatrous priests, 16. Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will whom the kings of Judah had ordained to bring evil upon this place, and upon the in- burn incense in the high places in the cities habitants thereof, even all the words of the of Judah, and in the places round about book which the king of Judah hath read: Jerusalem; them also that burnt incense un
17. Because they have forsaken me, and to Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to have burnt incense unto other gods, that the planets, and to all the host of heaven. they might provoke me to anger with all the 6. And he brought out the grove from the works of their hands; therefore my wrath house of the Lord, without Jerusalem, unshall be kindled against this place, and to the brook Kidron, and burnt it at the shall not be quenched.
brook Kidron, and stamped it small to 18. But to the king of Judah, which sent powder, and cast the powder thereof upon you to inquire of the LORD, thus shall ye the graves of the children of the people. say to him, Thus saith the LORD God of 7. And he brake down the houses of the Israel, As touching the words which thou Sodomites, that were by the house of the hast heard ;
Lord, where the women wove hangings 19. Because thine heart was tender, and for the grove. thou hast humbled thyself before the LORD, 8. And he brought all the priests out of when thou heardest what I spake against the cities of Judah, and defiled the high this place and against the inhabitants there- places where the priests had burnt incense, of, that they should become a desolation and from Geba to Beer-sheba, and brake down a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept the high places of the gates that were in the before me; I also have heard thee, saith entering in of the gate of Joshua the governor the Lord.
of the city, which were on a man's left hand 20. Behold, therefore, I will gather thee at the gate of the city. unto thy fathers, and thou shalt be gathered 9. Nevertheless the priests of the high into thy grave in peace; and thine eyes places came not up to the altar of the Lord shall not see all the evil which I will bring in Jerusalem, but they did eat of the unupon this place. And they brought the king leavened bread among their brethren.
10. And he defiled Topheth, which is in CHAP. XXIII.
the valley of the children of Hinnom, that Josiah causeth the book to be read in a solemn assembly. no man might make his son or his daughter 1. ND the king sent, and they gathered to pass through the fire to Molech.
unto him all the elders of Judah and in. And he took away the horses that of Jerusalem.
the kings of Judah had given to the sun, at 2. And the king went up into the house the entering in of the house of the LORD, of the Lord, and all the men of Judah, and by the chamber of Nathan-melech the all the inhabitants of Jerusalem with him, chamberlain, which was in the suburbs, and and the priests, and the prophets, and all burnt the chariots of the sun with fire. the people, both small and great: and he 12. And the altars that were on the top read in their ears all the words of the book of the upper chamber of Ahaz, which the of the covenant which was found in the kings of Judah had made, and the altars house of the LORD.
which Manasseh had made in the two 3. And the king stood by a pillar, and courts of the house of the Lord, did the made a covenant before the LORD, to walk king beat down, and brake them down from after the Lord, and to keep his command- thence, and cast the dust of them into the ments and his testimonies and his statutes, brook Kidron. with all their heart and all their soul, to per- 13. And the high places that were before form the words of this covenant that were Jerusalem, which were on the right hand of written in this book: and all the people the mount of Corruption, which Solomon stood to the covenant.
the king of Israel had builded for Ashtoreth 4. And the king commanded Hilkiah the the abomination of the Zidonians, and for high priest, and the priests of the second or- Chemosh the abomination of the Moabites, der, and the keepers of the door, to bring land for Milcom the abomination of the
children of Ammon, did the king defile. all his might, according to all the law of Mo
14. And he brake in pieces the images, ses; neither after him arose there any like him. and cut down the groves, and filled their 26. Notwithstanding the LORD turned places with the bones of men.
not from the fierceness of his great wrath, 15. Moreover, the altar that was at wherewith his anger was kindled against Beth-el, and the high place which Jeroboam Judah, because of all the provocations that the son of Nebat, who inade Israel to sin, Manasseh had provoked him withal. had made, both that altar and the high place 27. And the LORD said, I will remove be brake down, and burnt the high place, Judah also out of my sight, as I have reand stamped it small to powder, and burnt moved Israel, and will cast off this city Je
rusalem which I have chosen, and the house 16. And as Josiah turned himself, he spied of which I said, My name shall be there. the sepulchres that were there in the mount, 28. Now the rest of the acts of Josiah, and sent, and took the bones out of the and all that he did, are they not written in sepulchres, and burnt them upon the altar, the book of the Chronicles of the kings of and polluted it, according to the word of the Judah ? LORD, which the man of God proclaimed, 29. In his days Pharaoh-nechoh king of who proclaimed these words.
Egypt went up against the king of Assyria 17. Then he said, What title is that that to the river Euphrates: and king Josiah I see! And the men of the city told him, It went against him; and he slew him at Meis the sepulchre of the man of God which giddo, when he had seen him. came from Judah, and proclaimed these 30. And his servants carried him in a things that thou hast done against the altar chariot dead from Megiddo, and brought of Beth-el.
him to Jerusalem, and buried him in his own 18. And he said, Let him alone; let no sepulchre. And the people of the land took man move his bones. So they let his bones Jehoahaz the son of Josiah, and anointed alone, with the bones of the prophet that him, and made him king in his father's stead. came out of Samaria.
31. 1 Jehoabaz was twenty and three 19. And all the houses also of the high years old when he began to reign; and he places that were in the cities of Samaria, reigned three months in Jerusalem. And which the kings of Israel had made to his mother's name was Hamutal, the daughprovoke the LORD to anger, Josiah took ter of Jeremiah of Libnah. away, and did to them according to all 32. And he did that which was evil in the the acts that he had done in Beth-el. sight of the LORD, according to all that bis
20. And he slew all the priests of the high fathers had done. places that were there upon the altars, and 33. And Pharaoh-nechoh put him in bands burnt men's bones upon them, and returned at Riblah, in the land of Hamath, that he to Jerusalem.
might not reign in Jerusalem; and put the 21. And the king commanded all the land to a tribute of a hundred talents of silpeople, saying, Keep the passover unto the ver, and a talent of gold. LORD your God, as it is written in the book 34. And Pharaoh-nechoh made Eliakim of this covenant.
the son of Josiah king in the room of Josiah 22. Surely there was not holden such a his father, and turned his name to Jehoiapassover from the days of the judges that kim, and took Jehoahaz away: and he came judged Israel, nor in all the days of the to Egypt, and died there. kings of Israel, nor of the kings of Judah; 35. And Jehojakim gave the silver and
23. But in the eighteenth year of king the gold to Pharaoh; but he taxed the land Josiah, wherein this passover was holden to to give the money according to the comthe LORD in Jerusalem.
mandment of Pharaoh: he exacted the sil24. Moreover, the workers with familiar ver and the gold of the people of the land, of spirits, and the wizards, and the images, every one according to his taxation, to give and the idols, and all the abominations that it unto Pharaob-nechoh. were spied in the land of Judah and in Je- 36. a Jehoiakim was twenty and five rusalem, did Josiah put away, that he might years old when he began to reign; and he perform the words of the law which were reigned eleven years in Jerusalem: and his written in the book that Hilkiah the priest mother's name was Zebudah, the daughter found in the house of the Lord.
of Pedaiah of Rumah. 25. And like unto him was there no king 37. And he did that which was evil in the before him, that turned to the LORD with sight of the LORD, according to all that his all his heart, and with all his soul, and with Il fathers had done.
save the poorest sort of the people of the land. 8 Jehoiachin's evil reign. 10 Jerusalem is taken. 15. And he carried away Jehoiachin to 1. N his days Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, and the king's mother, and the
Babylon came up, and Jehoiakim be- king's wives, and bis officers, and the mighty came his servant three years: then he turn of the land: those carried he into captivity ed and rebelled against him.
from Jerusalem to Babylon. 2. And the LORD sent against him bands 16. And all the men of might, even seven of the Chaldees, and bands of the Syrians, || thousand, and craftsmen and smiths a thouand bands of the Moabites, and bands of sand; all that were strong and apt for war, the children of Ammon, and sent them even then the king of Babylon brought capagainst Judah to destroy it, according to the tive to Babylon. word of the LORD, which he spake by his 17. And the king of Babylon made Matservants the prophets.
taniah his father's brother king in his stead, 3. Surely at the commandment of the and changed his name to Zedekiah. LORD came this upon Judah, to remove 18. Zedekiah was twenty and one years them out of his sight for the sins of Manasseh, old when he began to reign; and he reigned according to all that he did ;
eleven years in Jerusalem : and his mother's 4. And also for the innocent blood that he name was Hamutal, the daughter of Jereshed, (for he filled Jerusalem with innocent mjah of Libnah. blood,) which the LORD would not pardon. 19. And he did that which was evil in the
5. Now the rest of the acts of Jehoiakim, sight of the LORD, according to all that and all that he did, are they not written in Jehoiachin had done. the book of the Chronicles of the kings of 20. For through the anger of the Lordit Judah ?
came to pass in Jerusalem and Judah, until 6. So Jehoiakim slept with his fathers: he had cast them out from his presence, and Jehoiachin his son reigned in his stead. that Zedekiah rebelled against the king of
7. And the king of Egypt came not again | Babylon. any more out of his land: for the king of
CHAP. XXV. Babylon had taken from the river of Egypt Zedekiah taken, his sons slain, and his eyes put out. unto the river Euphrates, all that pertained || 1. ND it came to pass, in the ninth year to the king of Egypt.
of his reign, in the tenth month, in 8. 1 Jehoiachin was eighteen years old the tenth day of the month, that Nebuchadwhen he began to reign: and he reigned in nezzar king of Babylon came, he, and all his Jerusalem three months. And his mother's host, against Jerusalem, and pitched against name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnait; and they built forts against it round about. than of Jerusalem.
2. And the city was besieged unto the ele9. And he did that which was evil in the venth year of king Zedekiah. sight of the Lord, according to all that his 3. And on the ninth day of the fourth father had done.
month the famine prevailed in the city, and 10. 1 At that time the servants of Nebu- there was no bread for the people of the land. chadnezzar king of Babylon came up against 4. And the city was broken up, and all the Jerusalem, and the city was besieged. men of war fled by night, by the way of the
11. And Nebuchadnezzar king of Baby- gate, between two walls, which is by the lon came against the city, and his servants king's garden: (now the Chaldees were did besiege it.
against the city round about :) and the king 12. And Jehoiachin the king of Judah went the way toward the plain. went out to the king of Babylon, he, and his 5. And the army of the Chaldees pursued mother, and his servants, and his princes, || after the king, and overtook him in the plains and his officers ; and the king of Babylon of Jericho: and all his army were scattered took him in the eighth year of his reign. from him.
13. And he carried out thence all the trea- 6. So they took the king, and brought him sures of the house of the LORD, and the up to the king of Babylon to Riblah; and treasures of the king's house, and cut in pieces they gave judgment upon him. all the vessels of gold which Solomon king 7. And they slew the sons of Zedekiah of Israel had made in the temple of the before his eyes, and put out the eyes of ZeLORD, as the LORD had said.
dekjah, and bound him with fetters of brass, 14. And he carried away all Jerusalem, || and carried him to Babylon. and all the princes, and all the mighty men 8. And in the fifti month, on the seventh of valour, even ten thousand captives, and all day of the month, (which is the nineteenth the crastsmen and smiths: none remained, ll year of king Nebuchadnezzar king of Baby
lon,) came Nebuzar-adan, captain of the 20. And Nebuzar-adan, captain of the guard, a servant of the king of Babylon, un- guard, took these, and brought them to the to Jerusalem:
king of Babylon to Riblah. 9. And be burnt the house of the LORD, 21. And the king of Babylon smote them, and the king's house, and all the houses and slew them at Riblah, in the land of Haof Jerusalem, and every great man's house math. So Judah was carried away out of burnt he with fire.
their land. 10. And all the army of the Chaldees, that 22. And as for the people that remained were with the captain of the guard, brake in the land of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezdown the walls of Jerusalem round about. zar king of Babylon had left, even over them
11. Now the rest of the people that were he made Gedaliah the son of Abikam, the left in the city, and the fugitives that fell son of Shaphan, ruler. away to the king of Babylon, with the rem- 23. And when all the captains of the nant of the multitude, did Nebuzar-adan the armies, they and their men, heard that the captain of the guard, carry away.
king of Babylon had made Gedaliah gover12. But the captain of the guard left of nor, there came to Gedaliah, to Mizpah, the poor of the land to be vine-dressers and even Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, and husbandmen.
Johanan the son of Careah, and Serajah the 13. And the pillars of brass that were in son of Tanhumeth the Netophathite, and the house of the LORD, and the bases, and Jaazaniah the son of a Maachathite, they the brazen sea that was in the house of the and their men. Lord, did the Chaldees break in pieces, 24. And Gedaliah sware to them, and to and carried the brass of them to Babylon. their men, and said unto them, Fear not to
14. And the pots, and the shovels, and be the servants of the Chaldees: dwell in the snuffers, and the spoons, and all the ves- the land, and serve the king of Babylon, and sels of brass, wherewith they ministered, it shall be well with
you. took they away:
25. But it came to pass, in the seventh 15. And the fire-pans, and the bowls, and month, that Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, such things as were of gold, in gold, and of the son of Elishama, of the seed royal, came, silver, in silver, the captain of the guard and ten men with him, and smote Gedaliah,
that he died, and the Jews and the Chaldees 16. The two pillars, one sea, and the that were with him at Mizpah. bases, which Solomon had made for the 26. And all the people, both small and house of the Lord; the brass of all these great, and the captains of the armies, arose, vessels was without weight.
and came to Egypt: for they were afraid 17. The height of the one pillar was of the Chaldlees. eighteen cubits, and the chapiter upon it was 27. | And it came to pass, in the seven and • brass : and the height of the chapiter three thirtieth year of the captivity of Jehojachin cubits; and the wreathen work, and pome- king of Judah, in the twelfth month, on the granates upon the chapiter round about, all seven and twentieth day of the month, that of brass : and like unto these had the se- Evil-merodach king of Babylon, in the year cond pillar with wreathen work.
that he began to reign, did lift up the head 18. And the captain of theguard took Sera- of Jehoiachin king of Judah out of prison, iah the chief priest, and Zephaniah the second 28. And he spake kindly to him, and set priest, and the three keepers of the door: his throne above the throne of the kings that
19. And out of the city he took an officer were with him in Babylon; that was set over the men of war, and five 29. And changed his prison garments: men of them that were in the king's presence, and he did eat bread continually before him which were found in the city, and the princi- all the days of his life. pal scribe of the host, which mustered the 30. And his allowance was a continual people of the land, and three score men of the allowance given him of the king, a daily people of the land that were found in the city: I rate for every day, all the days of his life.
| The FIRST Book of the CHRONICLES.
3. Henoch, Methuselahı, Lamech, CHAP. 1.
4. Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Adam's line to Ncah
5. I The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and
Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, 2. Kenan, Mahalaleel, Jered, and Meshech, and Tiras.
" ADAM, Sheth, Enosh