« PreviousContinue »
another brother? And we told him accord- 23. And he said, Peace be to you, fear ing to the tenor of these words. Could we not: your God, and the God of your father, certainly know that he would say, Bring hath given .you treasure in your sacks: 1 your brother down?
had your money. And he brought Simeon 8. And Judah said unto Israel his father, out unto them. Send the lad with me, and we will arise and 24. And the man brought the men into go; that we may live, and not die, both we, Joseph's house, and gave them water, and and thou, and also our little ones.
they washed their feet; and he gave their 9. I will be surety for him; of my hand asses provender. shalt thou require him: if I bring him not 25. And they made ready the present unto thee, and set him before thee, then let against Joseph came at noon : for they heard me bear the blame for ever:
that they should eat bread there. 10. For except we had lingered, surely 26. And when Joseph came home, they DOW we had returned this second time. brought him the present which was in their
11. And their father Israel said unto band into the house, and bowed themselves them, If it must be so now, do this; Take of to him to the earth. the best fruits in the land in your vessels, 27. And he asked them of their welfare, and carry down the man a present, a little and said, Is your father well ? the old man balm, and a little honey, spices and myrrh, of whom ye spake, is he yet alive? nuts and almonds :
28. And they answered, Thy servant our 12. And take double money in your hand : father is in good health, he is yet alive: And and the money that was brought again in they bowed down their heads, and made the mouth of your sacks carry it again in obeisance. your hand; peradventure it was an oversight: 29. And he lift up his eyes, and saw his
13. Take also your brother, and arise, brother Benjamin, his mother's son, and said, go again unto the man:
Is this your younger brother, of whom ye 14. And God Almighty give you mercy spake unto me? And he said, God be grabefore the man, that he may send away your cious unto thee, my son. other brother, and Benjamin. If I be bereav- 30. And Joseph made haste; for his bowsd of my children, I am bereaved.
els did yearn upon his brother: and he sought 15. And the men took that present, and where to weep; and he entered into his they took double money in their hand, and chamber, and wept there. Benjamin ; and rose up, and went down to 31. And he washed his face, and went out, Egypt, and stood before Joseph.
and refrained himself, and said, Set on bread. 16. And when Joseph saw Benjamin with 32. And they set on for him by himself, them, he said to the ruler of his house, Bring and for them by themselves, and for the these men home, and slay, and make ready; Egyptians which did eat with him by themfor these men shall dine with me at noon. selves: because the Egyptians might not
17. And the man did as Joseph bade ; and eat bread with the Hebrews; for that is an the man brought the men into Joseph's house. abomination unto the Egyptians.
18. And the men were afraid, because they 33. And they sat before him, the first-born were brought into Joseph's house; and they according to his birth-right, and the youngest said, Because of the money that was re- according to his youth: and the men marturned in our sacks at the first time are velled one at another. we brought in, that he may seek occasion 34. And he took and sent messes unto against us, and fall upon us, and take us for them from before him: but Benjamin's mess bondmen, and our asses.
was five times so much as any of theirs. 19. And they came near to the steward And they drunk, and were merry with him, of Joseph's house, and they communed with
CHAP. XLIV. him at the door of the house.
1 Joseph's policy to stay his brethren. 18 Judah's humble 20. And said, Osir, we came indeed
supplication to Joseph. down at the first time to buy food:
1. 21. And it came to pass, when we came his house, saying, Fill the men's to the inn, that we opened our sacks, and, sacks with food, as much as they can carry, behold, every man's money was in the mouth and put every man's money in his sack's of his sack, our money in full weight ; and mouth: we have brought it again in our hand. 2. And put my cup, the silver cup, in the
22. And other money have we brought sack's mouth of the youngest, and his corn duwn in our hands to buy food; we cannot money. And he did according to the word tell who put our money in our sacks. that Joseph had spoken.
3. 1 As soon as the morning was light, the 20. And we said unto my lord, We have men were sent away, they and their asses. a father, an old man, and a child of his old
4. And when they were gone out of the age, a little one: and his brother is dead, city, and not yet far off
, Joseph said unto his and he alone is left of his mother, and his steward, Up, follow after the men; and when father loveth him. thou dost overtake then, say unto them, 21. And thou saidst unto thy servants, Wherefore have ye rewarded evil for good ? Bring him down unto me, that I may set
5. Is not this it in which my lord drink- mine eyes upon him. eth, and whereby indeed he divineth? Ye 22. And we said unto my lord, The lad have done evil in so doing.
cannot leave his father: for if he should 6. And he overtook them, and he spake leave his father, his father would die. unto them these same words.
23. And thou saidst unto thy servants, 7. And they said unto him, Wherefore Except your youngest brother come down saith my lord these words ? God forbid that with you, you shall see my face no more. thy servants should do according to this 24. And it came to pass, when we came thing.
up unto thy servant my father, we told him 8. Behold, the money which we found in the words of my lord. our sacks' mouths we brought again unto 25. And our father said, Go again, and thee out of the land of Canaan: how then buy us a little food. should we steal out of thy lord's house silver 26. And we said, We cannot go down: or gold?
if our youngest brother be with us, then will 9. With whomsoever of thy servants it we go down: for we may not see the man's be found, both let him die, and we also will face, except our youngest brother be with us. be my lord's bondmen.
27. And thy servant my father said unto 10. And he said, Now also let it be ac- us, Ye know that my wife bare me two sons : cording unto your words: he with whom it is 28. And the one went out from me, and found shall be my servant; and ye shall I said, Surely he is torn in pieces; and I be blameless.
saw him not since: 11. Then they speedily took down every 29. And if ye take this also from me, and man his sack to the ground, and opened mischief befasi him, ye shall bring down my every man his sack.
gray hairs with sorrow to the grave. 12. And he searched, and began at the 30. Now, therefore, when I come to thy sereldest, and left at the youngest: and the vant my father, and the lad be not with us; cup was found in Benjamin's sack. seeing that his life is bound up in the lad's life ;
13. Then they rent their clothes, and 31. It shall come to pass, when he seeth laded every man his ass, and returned to that the lad is not with us, that he will die: the city.
and thy servants shall bring down the gray 14. And Judah and his brethren came | hairs of thy servant our father with sorrow to Joseph's house ; for he was yet there ; to the grave. and they fell before him on the ground. 32. For thy servant became surety for
15. And Joseph said unto them, What the lad unto my father, saying, If I bring deed is this that ye have done? Wot ye not him not unto thee, then I shall bear the that such a man as I can certainly divine ? blame to my father for ever.
16. And Judah said, What shall we say 33. Now therefore, I pray thee, let thy unto my lord? What shall we speak? | servant abide instead of the lad a bondman Or how shall we clear ourselves ? God to my lord; and let the lad go up with his hath found out the iniquity of thy' servants: brethren. behold, we are my lord's servants, both we, 34. For how shall I go up to my father, and he also with whom the cup is found. and the lad be not with me? lest perad
17. And he said, God forbid that I should venture I see the evil that shall come on my do so: but the man in whose hand the cup / father. is found, he shall be my servant; and as for
CHAP. XLV. you, get you up in peace unto your father.
1 Joseph maketh himself known to his brethren: 9 He send18. Then Sudah came near unto him, eth for his father: 25 Jacob is revived with the news. and said, Oh, my lord, let thy servant, 11. THEN Joseph could not refrain himpray thee, speak a word in my lord's ears,
self before all them that stood by and let not thine anger burn against thy him; and he cried, Cause every man to go servant: for thou art even as Pharaoh. out from me. And there stood no man
19. My lord asked his servants, saying, with him, while Joseph made himself known Have ye a father, or a brother?
unto his brethren.
2. And he wept aloud: and the Egyptians 18. And take your father, and your houseand the house of Pharaoh heard.
holds, and come unto me: and I will give 3. And Joseph said unto his brethren, you the good of the land of Egypt, and ye I am Joseph: doth my father yet live? And shall eat the fat of the land. his brethren could not answer him; for 19. Now thou art commanded, this do they were troubled at his presence. ye; take you wagons out of the land of
4. And Joseph said unto his brethren, || Egypt for your little ones, and for your Come near to me, I pray you: And they wives, and bring your father, and come. came near. And he said, I am Joseph your 20. Also regard not your stuff; for the brother, whom ye sold into Egypt. good of all the land of Egypt is yours.
3. Now therefore be not grieved, nor 21. And the children of Israel did so; and angry with yourselves, that ye sold me Joseph gave them wagons, according to hither; for God did send me before you to the commandment of Pharaoh, and gave preserve life.
them provision for the way. 6. For these two years hath the famine 22. To all of them he gave each man been in the land; and yet there are five changes of raiment; but to Benjamin he years, in the which there shall neither be gave three hundred pieces of silver, and five earing nor harvest.
changes of raiment. 7. And God sent me before you to pre- 23. And to his father he sent after this serve you a posterity in the earth, and to manner; ten asses laden with the good save your lives by a great deliverance. things of Egypt, and ten she-asses laden
3. So now, it was not you that sent me with corn and bread and meat for his father Inther, but God: and he hath made me aby the way. father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house, 24. So he sent his brethren away, and and a ruler throughout all the land of they departed: and he said unto them, See Egypt.
that ye fall not out by the way. 9. Haste you, and go up to my father, and 25. 1 And they went up out of Egypt, say unto him, Thus saith thy son Joseph, and came into the land of Canaan unto God hath made me lord of all Egypt: come Jacob their father, down unto me, tarry not.
26. And told him, saying, Joseph is yet 10. And thou shalt dwell in the land of alive, and he is governor over all the land Goshen, and thou shalt be near unto me, of Egypt. And Jacob's heart fainted, for thou, and thy children, and thy children's he believed them not. children, and thy flocks, and thy herds, and 27. And they told him all the words of all that thou hast :
Joseph, which he had said unto them: and 11. And there will I nourish thee, (for when he saw the wagons which Joseph yet there are five years of famine,) lest thou, had sent to carry him, the spirit of Jacob and thy household, and all that thou hast, their father revived: come to poverty.
28. And Israel said, It is enough: Joseph 12. And, behold your eyes see, and the my son is yet alive: I will go and see him eyes of my brother Benjamin, that it is my before I die. mouth that speaketh unto you.
CHAP. XLVI. 13. And you shall tell my father of all my | 1 Jacob is comforted by God at Beer-sheba : 5 Thence he glory in Egypt, and of all that you have seen; with his company goeth into Egypt. ye
A father hither.
that he had, and to 14. And he fell upon his brother Ben- sheba, and offered sacrifices unto the God jamin's neck, and wept; and Benjamin of his father Isaac. wept upon his neck.
2. And God spake unto Israel in the 15. Moreover, he kissed all his brethren, visions of the night, and said, Jacob, Jacob. and wept upon them: and after that his | And he said, Here am I. brethren talked with him.
3. And he said, I am God, the God of thy 16. 1 And the fame thereof was heard in father: fear not to go down into Egypt; for Pharaoh's house, saying, Joseph's brethren 1 will there make of thee a great nation: are come: and it pleased Pharaoh well, and 4. I will go down with thee into Egypt; his servants.
and I will also surely bring thee up again: 17. And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Say and Joseph shall put his hand upon thine anto thy brethren, This do ye; lade your eyes. beasts, and go, get you unto the land of 5. 1 And Jacob rose up from Beer-sheba; Canaan;
and the sons of Israel carried Jacob their carry him.
father, and their little ones, and their wives, || she bare these unto Jacob: all the souls in the wagons which Pharaoh had sent to were seven.
26. All the souls that came with Jacob 6. And they took their cattle, and their into Egypt, which came out of his loins, begoods, which they had gotten in the land sides Jacob's sons' wives, all the souls were of Canaan, and came into Egypt, Jacob, threescore and six : and all his seed with him:
27. And the sons of Joseph, which were 7. His sons, and his sons' sons with him, born him in Egypt, were two souls: all the his daughters, and his sons' daughters, and souls of the house of Jacob, which came all his seed brought he with him into Egypt. into Egypt, were threescore and ten.
8. | And these are the names of the chil- 28. T And he sent Judah before him unto dren of Israel which came into Egypt: Ja. Joseph, to direct his face unto Goshen; and cob and his sons: Reuben, Jacob's first-born. they came into the land of Goshen.
9. And the sons of Reuben ; Hanoch, 29. And Joseph made ready his chariot, and Phallu, and Hezron, and Carmi. and went up to meet Israel his father, to
10. And the sons of Simeon; Jemuel, and Goshen, and presented himself unto him: Jamin, and Ohad, and Jachin, and Zohar; and he fell on his neck, and wept on his and Shaul, the son of a Canaanitish woman. neck a good while.
11. And the sons of Levi; Gershon, Ko- 30. And Israel said unto Joseph, Now hath, and Merari.
let me die, since I have seen thy face, be12. And the sons of Judah; Er, and Onan, cause thou art yet alive. and Shelah, and Pharez, and Zarah: but Er 31. And Joseph said unto his brethren, and Onan died in the land of Canaan. And and unto his father's house, I will go up, the sons of Pharez were Hezron and Hamul. and show Pharaoh, and say unto him, My
13. And the sons of Issachar; Tola, and brethren, and my father's house, which were Phuvah, and Job, and Shimron.
in the land of Canaan, are come unto me; 14. And the sons of Zebulun ; Sered, and 32. And the men are shepherds, for their Elon, and Jahleel.
trade hath been to feed cattle; and they 15. These be the sons of Leah, which she | have brought their flocks, and their berds, bare unto Jacob in Padan-aram, with his and all that they have. daughter Dinah: all the souls of his sons 33. And it shall come to pass, when Phaand his daughters were thirty and three. raoh shall call you, and shall say, What is
16. And the sons of Gad; Ziphion, and your occupation ? Haggai, Shuni, and Ezbon, Eri, and Arodi, 34. That ye shall say, Thy servants' and Areli.
trade hath been about cattle from our youth 17. And the sons of Asher; Jimnah, and even until now, both we, and also our faIshuah, and Isui, and Beriah, and Serah thers: that ye may dwell in the land of their sister: and the sons of Beriah; Heber, Goshen; for every shepherd is an abominaand Malchiel.
tion unto the Egyptians. 18. These are the sons of Zilpah, whom
CHAP. XLVII. Laban gave to Leah his daughter; and 1 Joseph presenteth five of his brethren, 7 and his father,
before Pharaoh. 28 Jacob's age: 29 He sweareth Joc these she bare unto Jacob, even sixteen souls.
seph to bury him with his fathers. 19. The sons of Rachel Jacob's wife; 1. THEN Joseph came and told PhaJoseph and Benjamin.
raoh, and said, My father and my 20. unto Joseph, in the land of Egypt, brethren, and their flocks, and their herds, were born Manasseh and Ephraim, which and all that they have, are come out of the Asenath the daughter of Poti-pherah priest land of Canaan ; and, behold, they are in of On, bare unto him.
the land of Goshen. 21. And the sons of Benjamin were Be- 2. And he took some of his brethren, even lah, and Becher, and Ashbel, Gera, and Naa-five men, and presented them unto Pharaoh. man, Ehi, and Rosh, Muppim, and Huppim, 3. And Pharaoh said unto his brethren, and Ard.
What is your occupation? And they said 22. These are the sons of Rachel, which unto Pharaoh, Thy servants are shepherds, were born to Jacob: all the souls were four-both we, and also our fathers. teen.
4. They said moreover unto Pharaoh, 23. And the sons of Dan; Hushim. For to sojourn in the land are we come: for
24. And the sons of Naphtali; Jahzeel, thy servants have no pasture for their flocks; and Guni, and Jezer, and Shillem.
for the famine is sore in the land of Canaan : 25. These are the sons of Bilhah, which now therefore, we pray thee, let thy serLaban gave unto Rachel his daughter; and I vants dwell in the land of Goshen.
5. And Pharaoh spake unto Joseph, say- 19. Wherefore shall we die before thine ing, 'Thy father and thy brethren are come eyes, both we and our land ? buy us and unto thee:
our land for bread, and we and our land 6. The land of Egypt is before thee: in will be servants unto Pharaoh; and give us the best of the land make thy father and seed, that we may live and not die, that the brethren to dwell ; in the land of Goshen land be not desolate. let them dwell: and if thou knowest any 20. And Joseph bought all the land of men of activity among them, then make Egypt for Pharaoh; for the Egyptians soldevethem rulers over my cattle.
man his field, because the famine prevailed 7. I And Joseph brought in Jacob his fa- over them: so the land became Pharaoh's. ther, and set him before Pharaoh : and Ja-21. And as for the people, he removed cob blessed Pharaoh.
them to cities from one end of the borders 8. And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How of Egypt even to the other end thereof. old art thou?
22. Only the land of the priests bought 9. And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The he not; for the priests had a portion assigned days of the years of my pilgrimage are a them of Pharaoh, and did eat their portion hundred and thirty years : few and evil which Pharaoh gave them; wherefore they have f.se days of the years of my life been, sold not their lands. and have not attained unto the days of the 23. Then Joseph said unto the people, years of the life of my fathers, in the days Behold, I have bought you this day, and of their pilgrimage.
your land, for Pharaoh : lo, here is seed for 10. And Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and you, and ye shall sow the land. went out from before Pharaoh.
24. And it shall come to pass in the in11.5 And Joseph placed his father and his crease, that ye shall give the fifth part unto brethren, and gave them a possession in the Pharaoh, and four parts shall be your own, land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the for seed of the field, and for your food, and land of Rameses, as Pharoah had com- for them of your households, and for food manded.
for your little ones. 12. And Joseph nourished his father, and 25. And they said, Thou hast saved our his brethren, and all his father's household, lives; let us find grace in the sight of my with bread, according to their families. lord, and we will be Pharaoh's servants.
13. And there was no bread in all the 26. And Joseph made it a law over the land: for the_famine was very sore, so that land of Egypt unto this day, that Pharaoh the land of Egypt, and all the land of Ca- should have the fifth part; except the land of naan, fainted by reason of the famine. the priests only,which became not Pharaoh's.
14. And Joseph gathered up all the mo- 27. | And Israel dwelt in the land of ney that was found in the land of Egypt, Egypt, in the country of Goshen; and they and in the land of Canaan, for the corn had possessions therein, and grew, and which they bought: and Joseph brought the multiplied exceedingly. money into Pharaoh's house.
28. And Jacob lived in the land of Egypt 15. And when money failed in the land seventeen years: so the whole age of Jacob of Egypt, and in the land of Canaan, all was a hundred forty and seven years. the Egyptians came unto Joseph, and said, 29. And the time drew nigh that Israel Give us bread: for why should we die in must die: and he called his son Joseph, and thy presence for the money faileth. said unto him, If now I have found grace
16. And Joseph said, Give your cattle; and in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under I will give you for your cattle, if money fail. my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with
17. And they brought their cattle unto me; bury me not, 1 pray thee, in Egypt: Joseph: and Joseph gave them bread in 30. But I will lie with my fathers; and Exchange for horses, and for the flocks, and thou shalt carry me out of Egypt, and bury for the cattle of the herds, and for the asses; me in their burying-place. And he said, 1 and he fed them with bread for all their will do as thou hast said. cattle for that year.
31. And he said, Swear unto me. And 18. When that year was ended, they he sware unto him. And Israel bowed came unto him the second year, and said himself upon the bed's head. unto him, We will not hide it from my
CHAP. XLVIII. lord, how that our money is spent; my lord 1 Joseph with his sons visiteth his sick father: 2 Jacob also hath our herds of cattle: there is not
strengtheneth himself to bless them: 3 He repeateth the
promise: 21 He prophesieth their return to Canaan, aught left in the sight of my lord, but our 1. bodies and our lands:
that one told Joseph, Behold, thy