« PreviousContinue »
may be also.
way ye know.
18. I will not leave you comfortless :) 1 Christ comforteth his disciples : 5 professeth himself the will come to you,
. way, the truth, and the lije, 9 and that he is one with 19. Yet a little while, and the world f.the father: 27 he leaveth his peace with them. seeth me no more; but ye see me: because
ET not your heart be troubled: ye I live, ye shall live also.
believe in God, believe also in me. 20. At that day ye shall know that I am 2. In my Father's house are many in my Father, and you in me, and I in mansions : if it were not so, I would have you.
I go to prepare a place for 21. He that hath my commandments, you.
and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: 3. And if I go and prepare a place for and he that loveth me shall be loved of my you, I will come again, and receive you Father, and I will love him, and will maniunto myself; that where I am, there ye fest myself to him.
22. Judas saith unto him, (not Iscariot,) 4. And whither I go ye know, and the Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thy
self unto us, and not unto the world ? 5. Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we 23. Jesus answered and said unto him, know not whither thou goest; and how If a man love me, he will keep my words: can we know the way?
and my Father will love him, and we will 6. Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, come unto him, and make our abode with and the truth, and the life: no man cometh | him. unto the Father, but by me.
24. He that loveth me not, keepeth not - 7. If ye had known me, ye should have my sayings: and the word which you hear known my Father also : and from hence- || is not mine, but the Father's which sent forth
ye know him, and have seen him. 8. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us 25. These things have I spoken unto you, the Father, and it sufficeth us.
being yet present with you. 9. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so 26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy long time with you, and yet hast thou not Ghost, whom the Father will send in my known me, Philip? He that hath seen name, he shall teach you all things, and me hath seen the Father; and how sayest | bring all things to your remembrance, thou then, Shew us the Father?
whatsoever I have said unto you. 10. Believest thou not that I am in the 27. Peace I leave with you, my peace Father, and the Father in me? The I give unto you: not as the world giveth, words that I speak unto you I speak not give I unto you. Let not your heart be of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in troubled, neither let it be afraid. me, he doeth the works.
28. Ye have heard how I said unto you, 11. Believe me that I am in the Father, || I go away, and come again unto you. If and the Father in me: or else believe me ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because 1 for the very works' sake.
said, I go unto the Father: for my Father 12. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He is greater than I. that believeth on me, the works that I do 29. And now I have told you before it shall he do also; and greater works than come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, these shall he do; because I go unto my ye might believe. Father.
30. Hereafter 1 will not talk much with 13. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my || you: for the prince of this world cometh, name, that will I do, that the Father may and hath nothing in me. be glorified in the Son.
31. But that the world may know that I 14. If ye shall ask any thing in my love the Father; and as the Father gave name, I will do it.
me commandment, even so I do. Arise, 15. If ye love me, keep my command let us go hence. ments.
CHAP. XV. 16. And I will pray the Father, and he | The union between Christ and his church, under the parashall give you another Comforter, that he
ble of a vine, &c. may abide with you for ever;
AM the true vine, and my Father is 17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the the husbandman. world cannot receive, because it seeth him 2. Every branch in me that beareth not not, neither knoweth him : but ye know fruit he taketh away: and every branch him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may
bring forth more fruit.
be in you.
3. Now ye are clean through the word 21. But all these things will they do unto which I have spoken unto you.
you for my name's sake, because they 4. Abide in me, and I in you. As the know not him that sent me. pranch cannot bear fruit of itself, except 22. If I had not come and spoken unto it abide in the vine; no more can ye, ex- them, they had not had sin: but now they cept ye abide in me.
have no cloak for their sin. 5. I am the vine, ye are the branches : 23. He that hateth me hateth my Fa. He that abideth in me, and I in him, the ther also. same bringeth forth much fruit: for with- 24. If I had not done among them the out me ye can do nothing.
works which none other man did, they had 6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast not had sin: but now have they both seen forth as a branch, and is withered ; and and hated both me and my Father. men gather them, and cast them into the 25. But this cometh to pass, that the fire, and they are burned.
word might be fulfilled that is written in 7. If ye abide in me, and my words abide their law, They hated me without a in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it cause. shall be done unto you.
26. But when the Comforter is come, 8. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye whom I will send unto you from the Fabear much fruit; so shall ye be my disci- ther, even the Spirit of truth, which proples.
ceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of 9. As the Father hath loved me, so have me : I loved you: continue ye in my love. 27. And ye also shall bear witness, be
10. If ye keep my commandments, ye cause ye have been with me from the beshall abide in my love ; even as I have ginning. kept my Father's commandments, and
CHAP. XVI. abide in his love.
1 Christ warneth his disciples of their sufferings : 29 they 11. These things have I spoken unto you,
profess their faith in him. that my joy might remain in you, and that 1. THESE things have I spoken unto your joy might be full.
you, that ye should not be offended. 12. This is my commandment, That ye 2. They shall put you out of the synalove one another, as I have loved you.
gogues: yea, the time cometh, that whoso13. Greater love hath no man than this, ever killeth you will think that he doeth that a man lay down his life for his friends. God service.
14. Ye are my friends, if ye do what- 3. And these things will they do unto soever I command you.
you, because they have not known the Fa15. Henceforth I call you not servants; ther, nor me. for the servant knoweth not what his lord 4. But these things have I told you, that doeth: but I have called you friends; for when the time shall come, ye may rememall things that I have heard of my Father ber that I told you of them. And these I have made known unto you.
things I said not unto you at the beginning, 16. Ye have not chosen me, but I have because I was with you. chosen you, and ordained you, that you 5. But now I go my way to him that sent should and bring forth fruit, and that me; and none of you asketh me, Whither your fruit should remain: that whatsoever goest thou ? ye
shall ask of the Father in my name, he 6. But because I have said these things may give it you.
unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. 17. These things I command you, that 7. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It ye love one another.
is expedient for you that I go away: for 18. If the world hate you, ye know that if I go not away, the Comforter will not it hated me before it hated
come unto you; but if I depart, I will send 19. If ye were of the world, the world him unto you. would love his own: but because ye are 8. And when he is come, he will renot of the world, but I have chosen you prove the world of sin, and of righteousout of the world, therefore the world hateth ness, and of judgment : you.
9. Of sin, because they believe not on 20. Remember the word that I said unto me; you, The servant is not greater than his 10. Of righteousness, because I go to lord. If they have persecuted me, they my Father, and ye see me no more; will also persecute you: if they have kept 11. Of judgment, because the prince of my saying, they will keep yours also. this world is judged.
12. I have yet many things to say unto
27. For the Father himself loveth you, you, but ye cannot bear them now. because ye have loved me, and have be
13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of lieved that I came out from God, truth, is come, he will guide you into all 28. I came forth from the Father, and truth, for he shall not speak of himself; am come into the world : again, I leave the but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he world, and go to the Father. speak: and he will shew you things to 29. His disciples said unto him, Lo, now come.
speakest thou plainly, and speakest no 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall re- proverb. ceive of mine, and shall shew it unto 30. Now are we sure that thou knowyou.
est all things, and needest not that any man 15. All things that the Father hath are should ask thee: by this we believe that mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of thou camest forth from God. mine, and shall shew it unto you.
31. Jesus answered them, Do ye now 16. A little while, and ye shall not see believe? me: and again, a little while, and ye shall 32. Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now see me, because I go to the Father. come, that ye shall be scattered, every
17. Then said some of his disciples man to his own, and shall leave me alone: among themselves, What is this that he and yet I am not alone, because the Fasaith unto us, A little while, and ye shallther is with me. not see me: and again, a little while, and 33, These things I have spoken unto ye shall see me: and, Because I go to the you, that in me ye might have peace. In Father ?
the world ye shall have tribulation : but be 18. They said therefore, What is this of good cheer ; I have overcome the world. that he saith, A little while ? We cannot
CHAP. XVII. tell what he saith.
1 Christ prayeth to his Father to glorify him, 6 to pre19. Now Jesus knew that they were serve his apostles in unity of faith, &c. desirous to ask him, and said unto them, | 1. Do ye inquire among yourselves of that I
THESE words spake Jesus, and liftTHE
ed up his eyes to heaven, and said, said, A little while, and ye shall not see Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, me and again, a little while, and ye shall that thy Son also may glorify thee : see me?
2. As thou hast given him power over 20. Verily, verily, I say unto you, That all flesh, that he should give eternal life ye shall weep and lament, but the world to as many as thou hast given him. shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but 3. And this is life eternal, that they your sorrow shall be turned into joy. might know thee the only true God, and
21. A woman when she is in travail hath Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. sorrow, because her hour is come: but as 4. I have glorified thee on the earth: 1 soon as she is delivered of the child, she re- have finished the work which thou gavest membereth no more the anguish, for joy me to do. that a man is born into the world.
5. And now, O Father, glorify thou me 22. And ye now therefore have sorrow: with thine own self, with the glory which but I will see you again, and your heart | I had with thee before the world was. shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh 6. I have manifested thy name unto the
men which thou gavest me out of the world: 23. And in that day ye shall ask me no-thine they were, and thou gavest them me; thing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, What- and they have kept thy word. soever ye shall ask the Father in my 7. Now they have known that all things, name, he will give it you.,
whatsoever thou hast given me, are of 24. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in thee. my, name: ask, and ye shall receive, that 8. For I have given unto them the your joy may be full.
words which thou gavest me; and they 25. These things have I spoken unto you have received them, and have known surely in proverbs: but the time cometh, when that I came out from thee, and they have I shall no more speak unto you in pro-believed that thou didst send me. verbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the 9. I pray for them: I pray not for the Father.
world, but for them which thou hast given 26. At that day ye shall ask in my me; for they are thine. name: and I say not unto you, that I will 10. And all mine are thine, and thine pray the Father for you:
are mine; and I am glorified in them.
11. And now I am no more in the world, disciples over the brook Cedron, where but these are in the world, and I come to was a garden, into the which he entered, thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own and his disciples. name those whom thou hast given me, that 2. And Judas also, which betrayed him, they may be one, as we are.
knew the place: for Jesus oft-times resorted 12. While I was with them in the thither with his disciples. world, I kept them in thy name: those that 3. Judas then, having received a band thou gavesi me I have kept, and none of of men and officers from the Chief Priests them is lost, but the son of perdition; that and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanthe Scripture might be fulfilled.
terns and torches and weapons. 13. And now come I to thee; and these 4. Jesus therefore, knowing all things things I speak in the world, that they might that should come upon him, went forth, and have my joy fulfilled in themselves. said unto them, Whom seek ye?
14. I have given them thy word; and 5. They answered him, Jesus of Nazathe world hath hated them, because they reth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And are not of the world, even as I am not of Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with the world.
them. 15. I pray not that thou shouldest take 6. As soon then as he had said unto them out of the world, but that thou them, I am he, they went backward, and shouldest keep them from the evil. fell to the ground.
16. They are not of the world, even as I 7. Then asked he them again, Whom am not of the world.
seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Naza17. Sanctify them through thy truth : reth. thy word is truth.
8. Jesus answered, I have told you that 118. As thou hast sent me into the world, I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these even so have I also sent them into the world. I go their way:
19. And for their sakes I sanctify my- 9. That the saying might be fulfilled, self, that they also might be sanctified which he spake, Of them which thou gavest through the truth.
me have I lost none. 20. Neither pray I for these alone, but 10. Then Simon Peter, having a sword, for them also which shall believe on me drew it, and smote the High-Priest's serthrough their word;
vant, and cut off his right ear. The ser21. That they all may be one; as thou, vant's name was Malchus. Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they 11. Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up also
may be one in us : that the world may thy sword into the sheath: the cup which believe that thou hast sent me.
my Father hath given me, shall I not drink 22. And the glory which thou gavest me it? I have given them; that they may be one, 12. Then the band and the captain and even as we are one:
officers of the Jews took Jesus, and bound 23. I in them, and thou in me, that they him, may be made perfect in one; and that the 13. And led him away to Annas first; world may know that thou hast sent me, for he was father-in-law to Caiaphas, which and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. was the High-Priest that same year.
24. Father, I will that they also, whom 14. Now Caiaphas was he which gave thou hast given me, be with me where I counsel to the Jews, that it was expeam; that they may behold my glory, which dient that one man should die for the peothou hast given me: for thou lovedst me ple. before the foundation of the world.
15. And Simon Peter followed Jesus, and 25. O righteous Father, the world hath so did another disciple: that disciple was not known thee: but I have known thee, and known unto the High-Priest, and went in these have known that thou hast sent me. with Jesus into the palace of the High
26. And I have declared unto them thy Priest. name, and will declare it: that the love 16. But Peter stood at the door without. wherewith thou hast loved me may be in Then went out that other disciple, which them, and I in them.
was known unto the High-Priest,
and spake CHAP. XVIII.
unto her that kept the door, and brought 1 Judas betrayeth Jesus ; 6 the band and officers at Christ's
17. Then saith the damsel that kept the 1. THEN Jesus had spoken these door unto Peter, Art not thou also one of words, he went forth with his this man's disciples ? He saith, I am not
18. And the servants and officers stood | Thine own nation and the Chief Priests there, who had made a fire of coals; for it have delivered thee unto me: what hast was cold : and they warmed themselves : thou done? and Peter stood with them, and warmed 36. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not himself.
of this world: if my kingdom were of this 19. The High-Priest then asked Jesus world, then would my servants fight, that of his disciples, and of his doctrine. I should not be delivered to the Jews: but
20. Jesus answered him, I spake openly now is my kingdom not from hence. to the world; I ever taught in the syna- 37. Pilate therefore said unto him, Art gogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews thou a King then? Jesus answered, Thou always resort ; and in secret have I said sayest that I am a King. To this end was nothing
I born, and for this cause came I into the 21. Why askest thou me? ask them world, that I should bear witness unto the which heard me, what I have said unto truth. Every one that is of the truth hear. them: behold, they know what I said. eth my voice.
22. And when he had thus spoken, one 38. Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? of the officers which stood by struck Jesus And when he had said this, he went out with the palm of his hand, saying, Answer again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, est thou the High-Priest so?
I find in him no fault at all. 23. Jesus answered him, If I have spo- 39. But ye have a custom, that I should ken evil, bear witness of the evil : but if release unto you one at the Passover: will well, why smitest thou me?
ye therefore that I release unto you the 24. Now Annas had sent him bound | King of the Jews ? unto Caiaphas the High-Priest.
40. Then cried they all again, saying, 25. And Simon Peter stood and warm-Not this man, but Barabbas. Now Barabed himself. They said therefore unto him, bas was a robber. Art not thou also one of his disciples ?
CHAP. XIX. He denied it, and said, I am not.
1 Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns. 13 Pi26. One of the servants of the High
late delivereth him to be crucified, &c. Priest, being his kinsman whose ear Peter. 1. THEN Pilate therefore took Jesus,
garden with him?
2. And the soldiers platted a crown of 27. Peter then denied again: and im- thorns, and put it on his head, and they mediately the cock crew.
put on him a purple robe, 28. Then led they Jesus from Caiaphas 3. And said, Hail, King of the Jews ! unto the hall of judgment: and it was and they smote him with their hands. early; and they themselves went not into 4. Pilate therefore went forth again, and the judgment hall, lest they should be de- sajth unto them, Behold, I bring him forth filed; but that they might eat the Passover. to you, that ye may know that I find no
29. Pilate then went out unto them, and fault in him. said, What accusation bring you against 5. Then came Jesus forth, wearing the this man?
crown of thorns, and the
purple robe. And 30. They answered and said unto him, Pilate saith unto them, Behold the man ! If he were not a malefactor, we would not 6. When the Chief Priests therefore and have delivered him up unto thee,
officers saw him, they cried out, saying, 31. Then said Pilate unto them, Take Crucify him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto ye him, and judge him'according to your them, Take ye him, and crucify him : for law. The Jews therefore said unto him, ItI find no fault in him. is not lawful for us to put any man to
7. The Jews answered him, We have death:
a law, and by our law he ought to die, be32. That the saying of Jesus might be cause he made himself the Son of God. fulilled, which he spake, signifying what 8. When Pilate therefore heard that death he should die.
saying, he was the more afraid ; 33. Then Pilate entered into the judg. 9. And went again into the judgment ment hall again, and called Jesus, and said hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews ? thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.
34. Jesus answered him, Sayest thou 10. Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakthis thing of thyself, or did others tell it est thou not unto me? knowest thou not Thee of me?
that I have power to crucify thee, and 35. Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? || have power to release thee?