« PreviousContinue »
name? And, behold, ye have filled Jeru- | there arose a murmuring of the Grecians salem with your doctrine, and intend to against the Hebrews, because their widows bring this man's blood upon us.
were neglected in the daily ministration. 29. Then Peter and the other apostles 2. Then the twelve called the multitude answered and said, We ought to obey God of the disciples unto them, and said, It is rather than men.
not reason that we should leave the word 30. The God of our fathers raised up Je- || of God, and serve tables. sus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. 3. Wherefore, brethren, look ye out
31. Him hath God exalted with his right || among you seven men of honest report, hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness we may appoint over this business. of sins.
4. But we will give ourselves continu32. And we are his witnesses of these ally to prayer, and to the ministry of the things ; and so is also the Holy Ghost, | word. whom God hath given to them that obey 5. And the saying pleased the whole him.
multitude : and they chose Stephen, a man 33. When they heard that, they were cut full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and to the heart, and took council to slay them. Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and
34. Then stood there up one in the Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a procouncil, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a selyte of Antioch: doctor of the law, had in reputation among 6. Whom they set before the apostles: all the people, and commanded to put the and when they had prayed, they laid their apostles forth a little space;
hands on them. 35. And said unto them, Ye men of Is- 7. And the word of God increased ; and rael, take heed to yourselves, what ye in- | the number of the disciples multiplied in tend to do as touching these men.
Jerusalem greatly; and a great company 36. For before these days rose up Theu- of the priests were obedient to the faith, das, boasting himself to be somebody; to 8. And Stephen, full of faith and power, whom a number of men, about four hun- did great wonders and miracles among the dred, joined themselves: who was slain ; people. and all, as many as obeyed him, were scat- 9. Then there arose certain of the synatered, and brought to nought.
gogue, which is called The synagogue of 37. After this man rose up Judas of Ga- | the Libertines, and Cyrenians and Alexanlilee, in the days of the taxing, and drew drians, and of them of Cilicia and of Asia, away much people after him: he also per-| disputing with Stephen. ished; and all, even as many as obeyed 10. And they were not able to resist the him, were dispersed.
wisdom and the spirit by which he spake. 38. And now I say unto you, Refrain 11. Then they suborned men, which said, from these men, and let them alone: for if We have heard him speak blasphemous this counsel or this work be of men, it will words against Moses, and against God. come to nought:
12. And they stirred up the people, and 39. But if it be of God, ye cannot over-the elders, and the Scribes, and came upon throw it; lest haply ye be found even to him, and caught him, and brought him to fight against God.
the council, 40. And to him they agreed : and when 13. And set up false witnesses, which they had called the apostles, and beaten said, This man ceaseth not to speak blasthem, they commanded that they should not phemous words against this holy place and speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.the law:
41. And they departed from the presence 14. For we have heard him say, that of the council, rejoicing that they were this Jesus of Nazareth shall destroy this counted worthy to suffer shame for his place, and shall change the customs which
Moses delivered us. 42, And daily in the temple, and in 15. And all that sat in the council, lookevery house, they ceased not to teach, anding stedfastly on him, saw his face as it had preach Jesus Christ.
been the face of an angel. CHAP. VI.
CHAP. VII. 1 The apostles' care for the poor, and preaching of the 1 Stephen being called, answereth to his accusation: 54 word. 5 Seren deacons chosen.
they slone him to death. 1. ND in those days, when the num-1.TTHEN said the High Priest, are these ber of the disciples was multiplied,
11 P25. For he supposed his brethren would
2. And he said, Men, brethren, and fa-|| 18. Till another king arose, which knew thers, hcarken; The God of glory appeared not Joseph. . unto our father Abraham, when he was in 19. The same dealt subtilly with our kin. Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran, dred, and evil entreated our fathers, so that
3. And said unto him, Get thee out of they cast out their young children, to the thy country, and from thy kindred, and end they might not live. come into the land which I shall shew thee. 20. In which time Moses was born, and
4. Then came he out of the land of the was exceeding fair, and nourished up in Chaldeans, and dwelt in Charran: and his father's house three months : from thence, when his father was dead, he 21. And when he was cast out, Pharemoved him into this land, wherein ye raoh's daughter took him up, and nourished
him for her own son. 5. And he gave him none inheritance in 22. And Moses was learned in all the it, no, not so much as to set his foot on : yet wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty he promised that he would give it to him in words and in deeds. for a possession, and to his seed after him, 23. And when he was full forty years when as yet he had no child.
old, it came into his heart to visit his breth6. And God spake on this wise, that his ren the children of Israel. seed should sojourn in a strange land; and 24. And seeing one of them suffer wrong, that they should bring them into bondage, he defended him, and avenged him that was and entreat them evil four hundred years.
, : 7. And the nation to whom they shall be in bondage will I judge, said God: and have understood how that God by his hand after that shall they come forth, and serve would deliver them: but they understood me in this place.
not. 8. And he gave him the covenant of cir- 26. And the next day he shewed him cumcision : and so Abraham begat Isaac, self unto them as they strove, and would and circumcised him the eighth day; and have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat the ye are brethren ; why do ye wrong one to twelve patriarchs.
another ? 9. And the patriarchs, moved with
27. But he that did his neighbour wrong sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a him,
ruler and a judge over us? 10. And delivered him out of all his af- 28. Wilt thou kill me, as thou didst the flictions, and gave him favour and wisdom Egyptian yesterday? in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and 29. Then fled Moses at this saying, and he made him governor over Egypt and all was a stranger in the land of Madian, his house.
where he begat two sons. 11. Now there came a dearth over all 30. And when forty years were expired, the land of Egypt and Chanaan, and great there appeared to him in the wilderness of affliction: and our fathers found no suste-mount Sina, an angel of the Lord, in a nance.
flame of fire in a bush. 12. But when Jacob heard that there was 31. When Moses saw it, he wondered corn in Egypt, he sent out our fathers first. at the sight: and as he drew near to behold
13. And at the second time Joseph was it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, made known to his brethren; and Joseph's 32. Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, kindred was made known unto Pharoah. the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac,
14. Then sent Joseph, and called his fa- and the God of Jacob. Then Moses tremther Jacob to him, and all his kindred, bled, and durst not behold. threescore and fifteen souls.
33. Then said the Lord to him, Put off 15. So Jacob went down into Egypt, thy shoes from thy feet: for the place and died, he, and our fathers,
where thou standest is holy ground. 16. And were carried over into Sychem, 34. I have seen, I have seen the afflicand laid in the sepulchre that Abraham tion of my people which is in Egypt, and hought for a sum of money of the sons of I have heard their groaning, and am come Emmor the father of Sychem.
down to deliver them. And now come, 1 17. But when the time of the promise will send thee into Egypt. drew nigh, which God had sworn to Abra- 35. This Moses whom they refused, sayham, the people grew and multiplied in ing, Who made thee a ruler and a judge ? Egypt,
the same did God send to be a ruler and a
deliverer, by the hand of the angel which in heart and ears, ye do always resist the appeared to him in the bush..
Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 36. He brought them out, after that he 52. Which of the prophets have not your had shewed wonders and signs in the land fathers persecuted? And they have slain of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the them which shewed before of the coming wilderness, forty years.
of the Just One, of whom ye have been 37. This is that Moses which said unto now the betrayers and murderers: the children of Israel, A prophet shall the 53. Who have received the law by the Lord your God raise up unto you of your disposition of angels, and have not kept it. brethren, like unto me: him shall ye hear. 54. When they heard these things, they
38. This is he that was in the church in were cut to the heart, and they gnashed the wilderness, with the angel which spake on him with their teeth. to him in the mount Sina, and with our 55. But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, fathers: who received the lively oracles to looked up steadfastly into heaven, and give unto us.
saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing 39. To whom our fathers would not obey, on the right hand of God, but thrust him from them, and in their 56. And said, Behold, I see the heavens hearts turned back again into Egypt, opened, and the Son of man standing on
40. Saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to the right hand of God. go before us : for as for this Moses, which 57. Then they cried out with a loud brought us out of the land of Egypt, we voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon wot not what is become of him.
him with one accord, 41. And they made a calf in those days, 58. And cast him out of the city, and and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and restoned him: and the witnesses laid down joiced in the works of their own hands. their clothes at a young man's feet, whose
42. Then God turned, and gave them name was Saul. up to worship the host of heaven; as it is 59. And they stoned Stephen, calling written in the book of the prophets, 0 yeupon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain | my spirit. beasts and sacrifices, by the space of forty 60. And he kneeled down, and cried years in the wilderness?
with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin 43. Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of to their charge. And when he had said Moloch, and the star of your god Rem- | this, he fell asleep. phan, figures which ye made, to worship
CHAP. VIII. them: and I will carry you away beyond || 5 Philip planteth the Church in Samaria: 26 he bapBabylon.
tizeth an Ethiopian eunuch. 44. Our fathers had the tabernacle of || 1. witness in the wilderness, as he had ap
death. And at that time there pointed, speaking unto Moses, that he was a great persecution against the church should make it according to the fashion which was at Jerusalem; and they were that he had seen.
all scattered abroad throughout the regions 45. Which also our fathers that came of Judea and Samaria, except the aposafter brought in with Jesus into the pos- tles. session of the Gentiles, whom God drave 2. And devout men carried Stephen to out be
the face of our fathers, unto the his burial, and made great lamentation over days of David;
him. 46. Who found favour before God, and 3. As for Saul, he made havock of the desired to find a tabernacle for the God of church, entering into every house, and haJacob.
ling men and women, committed them to 47. But Solomon built him a house.
prison. 48. Howbeit the most High dwelleth not 4. Therefore they that were scattered in temples made with hands; as saith the abroad, went every where preaching the prophet,
word. 49. Heaven is my throne, and earth is 5. Then Philip went down to the city my footstool : what house will ye build me? of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. saith the Lord : or what is the place of my 6. And the people with one accord gave rest ?
heed unto those things which Philip spake, 50. Hath not my hand made all these hearing, and seeing the miracles which he things?
did. 51. Yé stiff-necked, and uncircumcised 7. For unclean spirits, crying with a loud
voice, came oụt of many that were pos- led to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel sessed with them : and many taken with in many villages of the Samaritans. palsies, and that were lame, were healed. 26. And the angel of the Lord spake unto
8. And there was great joy in that city. Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the 9. But there was a certain man called south, unto the way that goeth down from Simon, which beforetime in the same city || Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. used sorcery, and bewitched the people of 27. And he arose and went: and, behold, Samaria, giving out that himself was some a man of Ethiopia,an eunuch of great augreat one:
thority under Candace queen of the Ethi10. To whom they all gave heed, from opians, who had the charge of all her treathe least to the greatest, saying, This man | sure, and had come to Jerusalem for to is the great power of God.
worship, 11. And to him they had regard, because 28. Was returning; and, sitting in his that of long time he had bewitched them chariot, read Esaias the prophet. with sorceries.
29. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go 12. But when they believed Philip near, and join thyself to this chariot. preaching the things concerning the king- 30. And Philip ran thither to him, and dom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, || heard him read the prophet Esaias, and they were baptized, both men and women. | said, Understandest thou what thou read
13. Then Simon himself believed also ; est? and when he was baptized, he continued 31. And he said, How can I, except with Philip, and wondered, beholding the some man should guide me? And he demiracles and signs which were done. sired Philip that he would come up and sit
14. Now when the apostles which were with him. at Jerusalem, heard that Samaria had re- 32. The place of the scripture which he ceived the word of God, they sent unto them read, was this, He was led as a sheep to Peter and John :
the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb be15. Who, when they were come down, fore the shearer, so opened he not his prayed for them, that they might receive | mouth: the Holy Ghost :
33. In his humiliation his judgment was 16. (For as yet he was fallen upon none taken away: and who shall declare his of them: only they were baptized in the generation For his life is taken from the name of the Lord Jesus.)
earth. 17. Then laid they their hands on them, 34. And the eunuch answered Philip, and they received the Holy Ghost. and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh
18. And when Simon saw that through the prophet this? Of himself, or of some Ghost was given, he offered them money, | -35. Then Philip opened his mouth, and
19. Saying, Give me also this power, began at the same scripture, and preached that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may unto him Jesus. receive the Holy Ghost.
36. And as they went on their way, they 20. But Peter said unto him, Thy mo- came unto a certain water: and the eunuch ney perish with thee, because thou hast said, See, here is water; what doth hinder thought that the gift of God may be pur- | me to be baptized ? chased with money.
37. And Philip said, If thou believest 21. Thou hast neither part nor lot in with all thy heart, thou mayest. And he this matter : for thy heart is not right in the answered and said, I believe that Jesus sight of God.
Christ is the Son of God. 22. Repent therefore of this thy wicked- 38. And he commanded the chariot to ness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought stand still: and they went down both into of thy heart may be forgiven thee. the water, both Philip and the eunuch ; and
23. For I perceive that thou art in the he baptized him. gall of bitterness, and in the bond of ini- 39. And when they were come up out quity.
of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught 24. Then answered Simon, and said,|| away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of more: and he went on his way rejoicthese things which ye have spoken come ing. upon me.
40. But Philip was found at Azotus: and 25. And they, when they had testified passing through, he preached in all the ciand preached the word of the Lord, return-1 ties, till he came to Cæsarea.
16. For I will shew him how great things | Saul, going toward Damascus, is called by Christ: 10 he must suffer for my name's sake. Ananias sent to him, and he is haptized, 20 and boldly
17. And Ananias went his way, and enpreacheth Christ. 1. A ND Saul yet breathing out threat- tered into the house ; and putting his hands
enings and slaughter against the on him, said, Brother Saul, the Lord, eden disciples of the Lord, went unto the High- Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way Priest,
as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou 2. And desired of him letters to Damas. mightest receive thy sight, and be filled cus to the synagogues, that if he found any with the Holy Ghost. of this way, whether they were men or wo
18. And immediately there fell from his men, he might bring them bound unto Je- eyes as it had been scales: and he received rusalem.
sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized. 3. And as he journeyed, he came near
19. And when he had received meat, he Damascus: and suddenly there shined was strengthened. Then was Saul certain round about him a light from heaven: days with the disciples which were at Da
4. And he fell to the earth, and heard a mascus. voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why in the synagogues, that he is the Son of
20. And straightway he preached Christ persecutest thou me?
5. And he said, Who art thou, Lord ? God. And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou
21. But all that heard him were amazed, persecutest: It is hard for thee to kick and said; Is not this he that destroyed against the pricks.
them which called on this name in Jerusa6. And he trembling and astonished, lem, and came hither for that intent, that said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do he might bring them bound unto the Chief And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go Priests?
22. But Saul increased the more in into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.
strength, and confounded the Jews which 7. And the men which journeyed with dwelt at Damascus, proving that this is him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but very Christ. seeing no man.
23. And after that many days were ful8. And Saul arose from the earth; and filled, the Jews took counsel to kill him. when his eyes were opened, he saw no
24. But their laying await was known man: but they led him by the hand, and of Saul. And they watched the gates day brought him into Damascus.
and night, to kill him. 9. And he was three days without sight,
25. Then the disciples took him by and neither did eat nor drink.
night, and let him down by the wall, in a 10. And there was a certain disciple at basket. Damascus, named Ananias; and to him 26. And when Saul was come to Jerusaid the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And salem, he assayed to join himself to the he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.
disciples : but they were all afraid of him, 11. And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and believed not that he was a disciple. and go into the street which is called 27. But Barnabas took him, and brought Straight, and inquire in the house of Ju- him to the apostles, and declared unto das for one called Saul of Tarsus: for, be- them how he had seen the Lord in the hold, he prayeth,
way, and that he had spoken to him, and 12. And hath seen in a vision a man how he had preached boldly at Damascus named Ananias coming in, and putting his in the name of Jesus. hand on him, that he might receive his 28. And he was with them coming in sight.
and going out at Jerusalem. 13. Then Ananias answered, Lord, I 29. And he spake boldly in the name of have heard by many of this man, how the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the much evil he hath done to thy saints at Je- Grecians : but they went about to slay him. rusalem :
30. Which when the brethren knew, they 14. And here. he hath authority from brought him down to Cæsarea, and sent the Chief Priests to bind all that call on him forth to Tarsus. thy name.
31. Then had the churches rest through15. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy out all Judea, and Galilee, and Samaria, way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to and were edified ; and walking in the fear bear my name before the Gentiles, and of the Lord, and in the comfort of the kings, and the children of Israel
Holy Ghost, were multiplied.