« PreviousContinue »
Modern Publications, and New Editions of Valuable Standard Works,
92. The ENGLISH FLORA. By Sir James E. Smith, M.D.F.R.S. President of the Linnæan Society, &c. &c. A new edition, in 4 Vols. 8vo. Price 21. 8s.
“ These volumes are composed with an intimate knowledge of the subject, with an undeviating aim at accuracy, and with an invariable respect for candour and for truth."-Monthly Review.
By the same Author, A COMPENDIUM of the ENGLISH COMPENDIUM FLORÆ BRITAN. FLORA. 12mo. 7s. 6d. cloth bds.
NICÆ. Price 78. 6d. Fifth Edition, A GRAMMAR of BOTANY, illus
An INTRODUCTION to the STUDY trative of artificial, as well as natural Classification, with an Explanation of
of PHYSIOLOGICAL and SYSTEMAJussieu's System. In 8vo. with 277 Fi.
TICAL BOTANY. In 8vo, 6th Edit. gures of Plants, and their various Parts
with 15 Plates, Price 14s. plain; or coand Organs. 2d Edit. 12s.; or coloured
loured, 11. 8s. Bds. plates, 11. 11s. 6d.
93. The ART of FRENCH COOKERY. By A. B. BEAUVILLIERS, Restaurateur, Paris. 3d Edit. In | Vol. 12mo. 78. Bds. printed uniformly with the “ DOMESTIC COOKERY.”
The Author of this work is the celebrated Restaurateur in the Rue Richelieu, in Paris, whose object, after 44 years' experience, is by the present publication, to enable Cooks, Confectioners, or Amateurs, with the assistance of the commonest cook, to make a great display and excellent cheer, by the simplest and most economical means.
94. RINGROVE, or Old Fashioned Notions. By the Author of “ Letters to a Young Man," "A Tale of the Times,” &c. In 2 Vols. 16s. Bds.
The HISTORY of the REIGN of GEORGE the THIRD. By ROBERT BISSET, LL.D. Author of the Life of Burke, &c. &c. A new Edition, completed to the Death of the King, in 6 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 3s. bds.
INSTRUCTIONS to YOUNG SPORTSMEN in all that relates to Guns and Shooting; Difference between the Flint and Percussion System; PRESERVATION of GAME ; Getting Access to all Kinds of Birds ; Specific Directions, with new Apparatus, for Wild Fowl ShVOTING, both on the Coast and in Fresh Water'; New Di. rections for Trout FISHING ; and Advice to the Young Sportsman on other Subjects. By Lieut. Col. P: HAWKER. 6th Edit. in 8vo. enlarged and improved, with 30 Plates and Woodcuts, 18s. cloth boards.
“Col. Hawker is one of the best shots in England, and his 'Instructions to Sportsmen' the very best book we have on the subject."-Blackwood's Magazine.
FIRST STEPS to BOTANY, intended as popular Illustrations of the Science, leading to its Study as a Branch of general Education. By James L. DRUMMOND, M.D. Professor of Anatomy and Physiology in the Belfast Academical Institution. In 12mo. with numerous Woodcuts. 2d Edit. Price 9s. Bds.
“ This answers more completely to the proper notion of an Introduction to Botany than any work we have seen." - Eclectic Review.
98. The only complete Editions of The REMAINS of HENRY KIRKE WHITE, selected, with prefatory Remarks, by ROBERT SOUTHEY, Esq. In 2 Vols. Price 11. 48. And in 1 Vol. 24mo. with engraved title and vignettes. Price 58. Bds.
N. B. The property of the Family having been invaded, it is necessary to state, that these are the only Editions which contain the Life by Mr. Southey, and the whole of the contents of the Third Volume. Also may be had, separately, VuLUME THE THIRD, of the first Edition. In 8vo.
Price Ys. Bds.
99. COMING OUT, and the FIELD of the FORTY FOOT. STEPS. BY JANE & ANNA MARIA PORTER. In 3 Vols. 12mo. 11. 10s.
100. CONVERSATIONS on ALGEBRA; being an Introduction to the First Principles of that Science, designed for those who have not the Advantage of a Tutor, as well as for the Use of Students in Schools. By W. CULE. 12mo. 7s. Bds.
Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green.
101. The MEDICAL GUIDE: for the Use of the Clergy, Heads of Families and Seminaries, aud Junior Practitioners. By RICHARD REECE, M.D. Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of London, &c. A New Edition, being the Fifteenth, considerably enlarged. 12s. Bds.
102. The HISTORY of ROMAN LITERATURE, from its earliest Period to the end of the Augustan Age. By John Dunlor, Esq. In 3 Vols. 8vo. Price 21. 7s. 6. Bds.
By the same Author,
103. An EXPLANATORY PRONOUNCING DICTIONARY of the FRENCH LANGUAGE, in French and English. To which are prefixed, the Principles of the French Pronunciation, Prefatory Directions for using the Spelling Representative of every Sound, and the Conjugation of the Verbs regular, irregular, and defective, with their true Pronunciation. By L’ĂBBE TARDY, late Master of Arts in the University at Paris. In 12mo. a new Edition, revised, Price 6s. Bound.
104. CONVERSATIONS on VEGETABLE PHYSIOLOGY; comprehending the Elements of Botany, with their Application to Agriculture. 2 vols. 12mo. with Plates. Price 12s.
“ These instructive little volumes are composed by an author (Mrs. Marcet) already well known by similar works on other branches of science, all of which have been received with great and merited favor. As the subject of her present undertaking is, at least, in interest equal to those which have preceded it, and her method of treating it as pleasing and popular, we can have little doubt that it will meet with corresponding success."-- Edin. Rev.
By the same Author,
TRY. In which the Elements of that PHILOSOPHY. 5th Edition, 10s. 6d.
CONVERSATIONS on POLITICAL 12mo. with Plates by Lowry, 14s. Bds. ECONOMY. Sixth Edition, in 12mo. In this Edition a Conversation has been 9s. Bds, added on the Steam Engine.
105. CONVERSATIONS on the ENGLISH CONSTITUTION. In 12mo. price 88.
“In the course of our Conversations, I design, in the first place, to present to you an historical sketch of the history of our Constitution, from its rise at the Conquest to its establishment at the Revolution of 1688. Having given you a general historical sketch of the Constitution, I propose to examine, rather more in detail, the character and history of the regal power and of the legislative bodies.”—Preface.
106. CONVERSATIONS on the ANIMAL ECONOMY. By a PHYSICIAN. 2 Vols. 12mo. illustrated by Plates, &c. Price 169.
“The Author, in our opinion, has succeeded in producing, for the instruction of the general reader, and even the learned, an accurate, interesting, and highly amusing account of the Animal Economy." Jameson's Philosophical Journal.
107. CONVERSATIONS on MYTHOLOGY. In 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 5s. Bds.
108. CONVERSATIONS on BOTANY, with Twenty-one Engravings. The Sixth Edition, enlarged, in 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 78. 6d. plain, or 12s. coloured.
109. CONVERSATIONS on MINERALOGY; with Plates, engraved by Mr. and Miss LOWRY, from Original Drawings, comprising upwards of 400 Figures of Minerals, including 12 beautifully coloured Specimens. Second Edit. in 2 Vols. 12mo. Price 14s. Bds.
• The plan of these Conversations is happily conceived, and it is executed with ability and taste. The Author has studiously avoided all unnecessary parade of technical diction, has rendered the doctrine of Crystallography more familiar than heretofore to the Tyro in Mineralogy, and has included some of the most recently discovered Substances. We may, therefore, unhesitatingly characterise this Work as one of the most desirable Text Books that have issued from the British Press.”—Monthly Review.
Modern Publications, &c. printed for Longman & Co.
DETRACTION DISPLAYED. By AMELIA Opie. In 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 7s. 6d.
By the same Author, ILLUSTRATIONS of LYING, in all NEW TALES. 4 Vols. 12mo. 3d its Branches. 3d Edit. in 2 Vols. 12mo. Edition, 11. 8s. bds.
10s. 6d. bds. MADELINE. A Tale. In 2 Vols. VALENTINE'S EVE. A Novel. 12mo. Price 14s. bds.
3 Vols. 12mo. 2d Edit. Price ll. ls bds. The FATHER and DAUGHTER. A
Tale. 8th Edit. frontis. 48. 6d. bds. TEMPER; or DOMESTIC SCENES. TALES of the HEART. 4 Vols. A Tale. Third Edition, Three Volumes, 12mo. 2d Edition, 11. 8s. bds.
12mo. Price 11. ls. bds.
111. CONVERSATIONS on the EVIDENCES of CHRISTIA. NITY; in which the leading Arguments of the best Authors are arranged, developed, and connected with each other : for the Use of Young Persons and Theological Students. In 1 Vol. 12mo. Price 8s. Bds.
112. SELECT WORKS of the BRITISH POETS, with Biographical and Critical Prefaces ; being a Library of Classical English Poetry. By DR. AIKIN. In 10 Vols. post 18mo. price 21. ; in royal 18mo. to match the British Essayists and Novelists, 31.; and complete, in 1 Vol. 8vo. for Schools, &c. 188.
113. LACON; or, MANY THINGS in FEW WORDS. By the Rev. C. C. COLTON, late Fellow of King's College, Cambridge, and Vicar of Kew and Petersham. A New Edition, in 2 Vols. 8vo. Price 14s. bds.
114. The PELICAN ISLAND, in 9 Cantos; and other Poems. By J. MONTGOMERY. 3d Edit. in foolscap 8vo. price 83. Bds.
By the same Author, The WANDERER of SWITZER- GREENLAND, and other POEMS. LAND. 10th Edition, 68.
3d Edition, 8s. hds. The WORLD before the FLOOD. SONGS of ZION, being IMITATIONS 8th Edition, 9s.
of Psalms. The 3d Edit. in foolscap 8vo.
Price 5s. The WEST INDIES, and other
Also, VERSES to the MEMORY of POEMS. 7th Edition, 68.
R. REYNOLDS. Price 2s.
115. MEMOIRS of JOHN, DUKE of MARLBOROUGH; with his Original Correspondence, collected from the Family Records at Blenheim, and other authentic Sources. By the Rev. Archdeacon Coxb. 6 Vols. 8vo. with an Atlas, 51, 5s.
Py the same Author, MEMOIRS of HORATIO LORD Death of Charles the Third, 1700-1788. WALPOLE. In Vols. 8vo. 11. 6s. in
2d Edition. In 5 Vols. 8vo. 31. bds. boards, the 2d Edition.
HISTORY of the HOUSE of AUS.
TRIA, from the Foundation of the MoMEMOIRS of the KINGS of SPAIN
narchy, by Rhodolph of Hapsburg, to of the HOUSE of BOURBON, from the the Death of Leopold II. 1218 to 1792. Accession of Philip the Fifth to the 5 Vols. 8vo. Price 31. 13s. 6d. bds.
116. NARRATIVE of a TOUR through the MOREA, giving an Account of the present State of that Peninsula and its Inhabitants, including a View and Description of the Port of Navarino. By Sir WILLIAM GELL. In One Volume Octavo, illustrated by Plates, Wood Cuts, &c. Price 15s. Bds.
117. RELIGIO MILITIS; or, Christianity for the Camp. In 18mo. Price 5s. Bds.