« PreviousContinue »
CHRIST instructs those that come to him,
to persevere in their Duty, and care
fully avoid all Delays. Luke
TOR ye know the pass that as they Lord Jesus Chrift, that though he went in the Way, a certain was RICH, yet for your fakes he Man, [M. a Scribe] said un- became roor, that ye through his to him, Lord, I will follow Poverty might be rich. thee whithersoever thou goest. the way of thy COMMANDMENTS,
(6) Pfalm cxix. 32. I will run 58. And Jesus said unto when thou shalt enlarge my Heart. him, (a) Foxes have Holes, behoiding Vanity: and quicken and Birds of the Air have thou me in thy WAY. Nefts, but the Son of Man 60. I made haste, and delayed not hath not where to lay his to keep thy COMMANDMENTS,
PS. cxxv. s. As for such as turn Head,
alide unto their CROOKED WAYS, 59. And he said unto an- the Lord shall lead them forth with other, Follow me : But he the Workers of INIQUITY : but faid, Lord, fuffer me first to
Peace shall be upon Isra:l.
Prov, i, 22. How long, ye fim. go and bury my Father.
ple ones, will ye love Simplicity? 60. Jesus said unto him, and the Scorners delight in their let the Dead bury the Dead Scorning, and Fools hace Knowbut go thou and preach the
Chap. xiv. 16. A wise Man fear. KINGDOM of God.
eth, and departech from Evil: buc 61. And another also faid, the Fool rageth, and is confident.
Chap. xxvii. I. Boaft nọ ty cli Lord, I will follow thee: but of to-morrow ; for thou knoweit
bid them fare- not what a Day may bring forth. wel which are at home at my Hand Kindech to do, do it with thg
Ecclef. ix. io. Whatsoever ehy Houfe.
Might; for there is no Work, nor 62. And (6) Fesus said Device, nor Knowledge, nor Wirunto him, No Man having dom in the Grave whither thou
goeit. put his Hand to the Plough,
Isaiah lv. 6. SEEK ye the Lord and looking back, is fit for while he may be found, call ye the KINGDOM of God. upon him while he is near.
Jer. vii. 13. And now, because ye
have done all these Works, saith the Lord, and I spake unto you, rising up early, and speaking, but ye heard not ; and I called you, but ye answered not.
Hosca xii. 6. Therefore TURN then to thy God, keep Mercy and JUDGMENT, and wait on thy Gon continually.
Acts xi. 22. And they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch, 23. Who when hecame, and had seen the GRACE of God, was glad,
and exhorted them all, that with Purpose of Heart they would CLEAVE unto the Lord.
Rom. xiii. 11. And that, knowing the Time, that now it is high time to awake out of Sleep : for now is our Salvation nearer than when we believed.
12. The Night is far spent, the Day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the Works of DARKNESS, and lec us put on the Armour of LIGHT.
1 Cor. vii. 29. But this I say, Brethren, the Time is short.
31. They that use this World, should not abuse it: for the Fashion of this World palleth away.
1 Cor. ix. 24. Know ye not that they which run in a RACE, run all, but one receiveth the PRIZE ? fo run, that ye may OBTAIN.
25. And every Man that striveTh for the Mastery, is temperate in all things : Now they do it to obtain a corruptible Crown, but we an incorruptible.
Chap. xvi. 13. Watch ye, stand fast in the Faith, quit you like Men, be strong
2 Cor. vị. 2. For he faith, I have heard thee in a Time accepted, and in the Day of SALVATION have I succoured thee : behold, now is the accepted Time ; behold, now is the Day of Salvation.
Gal, vi. 9. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due Season we shall reap, if we Faint not.
1 Theff. iv. 1. Furthermore then we beseech you, Brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jefres, that as ye have received of us, how ye ought to walk, and to please Gon, fo ye would abound more and more.
2 Tim. iji. 14. But continue thou in the Things which thou hast leained, and haft been allured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them.
15. And that from a Child thou hast known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto SALVATION, through Faith which is in Chrifi Jefu.
Heb. ii, 1. Therefore we ought to give the more earnest Heed to the Things which we have heard, Test at any time we should let them flip.
2. For if the Word spoken by Angels was ftedtalt, and every Transgression and Disobedience received a jult Recompence of Reward;
3. How shall we escape if we negleet so great SALVATION, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that hcard him.
Chap. iii. 7: Wherefore as the Holy Ghost faith, To day, if ye will hear his voice,
8. Harden not your Hearts, as in the PROVOCATIon, in the Day of TEMPTATION in the Wilderness :
9. When your Fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my Works forty Years.
1o. Wherefore I was grieved with that Generation, and said, They do alway err in their Heart ; and they have not known my ways.
Chap. vi. 1l. And we desire that every one of you do shew the same Diligence to the full Allurance of Hope unto the End :
12. That ye be not slothFUL, but Followers of them, who through Faith and Patience inherit the Promises.
Chap. x. 38. Now the Just shall live by Faith : but if DRAW back, my Soul fhall have no Pleasure in him.
39. But we are not of them who draw back unto PERDITION; but of them that believe, to the SAVING of the Soul.
Chap. xii. 1. Wherefore seeing we also are compafled about with fo great a Cloudy of Witnesses, let us lay aside every WEIGHT, and the Sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us RUN with PATIENCE the Race that is set before us,
2. Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our FAITH ; who for the Joy that was set before him, endured the Cross, del piting the SHAME, and is fer down at the right Hand of the Throne of God.
2 John 8. Look to your selves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full Reward.
9. Whofocver tiansgresseth, and abideth not in the DOCTRINE of Christ, hath not Gov: he that abideth in the Doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
How hard it is for them that trust in
Riches, to enter into the Kingdom of
Matt. xix. 16. Mark x. 17. Luke xviii. 18.
(M.] AND behold, [Mr.] when he was gone forth into
a , [Mr.] and kneeled to him, and asked him, [M.) and said unto him, (L.) saying, Good Master, [M.] what good Thing Shall I do, that I may (Mr.] INHERIT ETERNAL Life? And Jesus said unto him, Why calleft thou me GOOD ? there is none good but one, that is God: [M.] But if thou wilt enter into Live, keep the COMMANDMENTS. He faith unto him, Which ? - Jesus said, [Mr.] Thou knoweft the COMMANDMENTS. Do not commit Adultery; Do not kill; Do not steal; Do not bear falfe Witness; Defraud notí Honour thy Father [M.) and thy Mother and, Thou shalt LOVE thy NEIGHBOUR as thy felf. (L.) And he, (M.) the young Man faith unto him, [Mr.] Master, [M.] All these things have I kept from my Youth up: What lack 1 yet? (L.) Now when Jesus heard these Things, [Mr.) then beholding him, he loved him. [M.] And Jesus faid unto him, (L.) Yet lackeit thou one thing : [M] If thou wilt be perfect, [Mr.) go thy way, [L.] fell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the Poor, and thou shalt have TREASURE in HEAVEN ; and come [Mr.] take up thy Cross, and follow me. [M.) But when the young Man heard that Saying, (L.) he was very forrowful, (Mr.) and fad at that Saying, and [M.] went away forrowful, (L.) for he was very RICH ; (M.]
for he had GREAT POSSES
(a) Job xxvii. 8. For what is the SIONS. [L.] And when fe- Hope of the HYPOCRITE, though Sus saw that he was very he hath GAINED, when God tak
eth sorrowful; [Mr.] and Jesus,
away his Soul ? when he had looked round Trouble cometh upon him?
9. Will God hear his Cry when about, (L.) he said [Mr.] Chap. xxxi. 24. If I have made unto his Disciples, How hard- Gold my Hope, or have said to ly hall they that have (@) DENCE :
the fine Gold, thou art my Confi. RICHES enter into the KING 25. If I rejoiced because my DOM of God ! [M.] Verily
WEALTH was great, and because
mine Hand had gotten much: I say unto you, that a RICH
28. This also were an INIQUITY Man shall hardly enter into to be punished by the Judge : for. I the KINGDOM of HEAVEN. mould have denied the God that is
above. [Mr.] And the Disciples
Psalm xxxvii. 35. I have seen the were astonished at his Words. Wicked in great Power, and But Fesus answereth again, spreading himself like a green Bayand faith unto them, Children,
36. Yet he passed away, and lo, how hard is it for them that he was not: yea, I fouglit him, but trust in Riches to enter in- he could not be found. to the KINGDOM of God!
PS. xlix. 6. They that trust in
their WEALTH, and Boast them[M.] And again I say unto felves in the Multitude of their you, It is easier for a Camel RICHES: to go through the Eye of a means redeem his Brother, nor give
7. None of them can by any Needle, than for a rich Man to God a Ransom for him. to enter into the KINGDOM 11. Their inward Thought is,
that their House shall continue for of God. When his Discipl
ever, and their Dwelling-Places to heard it, they were exceed- all Generations ; they call their ingly amazed, (L.) and they Lands after their own Names. that heard it, said (Mr.) a 12. Nevertheless, Man being in mong themselves, [..] Who BEASTS that perish.
Honour, abideth not: he is like the then can be SAVED? [Mr.] Pf. lii. 7. Lo, this is the Man that And Jesus looking upon made not God his Strength : but them, "faith (M.] unto them, Riches, and strengthned himself With Men this is impossible, in his Wickedness. [Mr.] but not with God PS. Ixii, 10. Trust not in Oppres
j for ( M.Jall Things (L.) which fion, and become not vain in Rob
bery: if Riches increase, set not are impossible with Men, are your Heart upon them. possible with God.
Ps. cxix. 36. Incline my Heart [Mr.) And (M.] then an
unto thy Testimonies, and not to
COVETOUSNESS. fwered Peter and said unto Prov. xi. 4. RICHES profit not him, Behold, we have forsa- in the Day of WRATH : but Righken all, and followed thee, teousness delivereth from Death. what hall we have therefore? the fear of the Lord, than great
Chap. xv. 16. Better is little with [11r.] And Jesus answered Treasure and trouble therewith.
and said [M.) unto them, wealth is his strong City, and
Chap. xviii. 11. The rich Man's Verily I say unto you, that ye as an high Wall in his own Conceit. which have followed me in Chap. xxii. 4. Labour not to be the Regeneration, when thc Rich : Cease from thine own WisSon of Man shall fit in the
5. Wilt thon set thine Eyes upThrone of his Glory, ye also on that which is not? For Riches fhall fit upon twelve Thrones, certainly make themselves Wings judging the twelve Tribes of they fly away as an Eagle towards
. Ifrael. And every one that Jer. ix. 23. Thus fajth the Lord, hath forsaken Houses, or Bre- Let not the wife Man glory in his thren, or Sisters, or Father, Wisdom, neither let the mighor Mother, or Wife, or Chil- the rich Man glory in his Riches. dren,or Lands for my Name's Ezek. vii. 19. They shall cat fake, shall receive an hun- their Silver in the Streets, and their
Gold shall be removed : Their Sil. dred fold, and shall inherit ver and their Gold shall not be able everlasting Life. [Mr.) Ve- to deliver them in the Day of the rily I say unto you, (L.) that Wrath of the Lord.
Rom. viji. 13. For if ye LIVE [Mr.] there is no Man that after the FLESH, ye shall die: hath left House, or Brethren, but if ye through the SPIRIT do or Sisters, or Father, or Mo- Mortiry the Deeds of the BODY, ther, or Wife, or Children, ye shall live.
1 Tim. vi, 6. GODLINESS with or Lands, for my fake and Contentment is great GAIN, the Gospel's, and [L.) for
7. For we brought nothing into
this World, and it is certain we can the Kingdom of God's fake;
carry NOTHING out. [Mr.] but he hall receive 8. And having Food and Ras(L.] manifold more [Mr.] MENT, let us be therewith content. now in this Time, Houses, fall into Temptation, and a Snare,
9. But they that will be rich, and Brethren, and Sisters, and and into many foolish and hurtful Mothers, and Children, and Lusts, which drown Men in DeLands, with Perfecutions ;
Itruction and perdition.
10. For the Love Of MONEY IS and in the World to come the Roor of all Evil : which ETERNAL LIFE. But ma- while some covered after, they have ny that are first shall be laft, erred from the Faith, and pierced and the last first.
themselves through with many Sorrows.
Heb. x. 34. For ye had Compalfion of me in my Bonds, knowing in your selves that ye have in Heaven a better and an enduring Substance.
Chap. xi. 24. By Faith Moses when he was come to Years, refused to be called the Son of Pharaoh's Daughter ;
25. Choosing rather to suffer AFFLICTION with the People of God, than to enjoy the Pleasure of Sin for a Season ;
26. Esteeming the REPROACH of Christ greater Riches than the Treasures in Egypt : for he had respect unto the Recompence of the Re. ward.
fames ii. s. Hearken, my beloved Brethren, Hath not God chosen the Poor of this World, rich in Faith, and Heirs of the KINGDOM which beluth promised to them that love hima ?