Page images

went away; and also seeing the soldiers and hearing the talk and excitement of the time. When the conflict closed I was away at school. People in those days did not have the chances now open to them for the education of their children near at home, but had often to send them away for considerable distance.” At this point Mrs. Gaylord related the following illustrative incident : “Over thirty years ago I attended a commencement at the Western Reserve college, at Hudson. A lady who was present began to sob violently, and when President Pierce's wife asked her what was the matter, she responded between her sobs, 'Oh, Mrs. Pierce! I was thinking of the hard and hopeless days years ago, when my little ones were about me, and when I was very fearful that no educational advantages would be open to them. How we have been blessed by the development of our country in that direction. My son graduates here to-day, and intends to devote his life to the preaching of the gospel.' Then her happiness caused her tears to break forth anew. You see in the early days of Ohio the grand advantages now open to all were then possible only to the few.” In relation to the Indians, Mrs. Gaylord said: “They were around us in my girlhood home in New York state. But they were peaceable and friendly, and often came to my father for counsel and advice. Out here farther west, of course, the case was different. I remember the mother of the late Samuel Williamson telling me of a lonely night ride she had with her little son in her arms. Mounted on horseback, she left Cleveland by night and rode to Pairesville, as it was feared the Indians would descend upon Cleveland. Despite all she could do the little one would speak out, and she did not know but the Indians were lurking along her path and might hear him."

After coming to Cleveland, Mr. and Mrs. Gaylord lived for a time in the building afterwards known as the Wright house, on Ontario street. At that period the Farmer and Mechanic blocks were being erected on Ontario street, one on the north and one on the south of Prospect street. The Mechanic block was on the site of the old cemetery. It was all country out about Woodland avenue, where the old and well-known Gaylord dwelling now stands. That building, erected after the architecture of the day, was built by Dr. Long, who sold it to Mr. Gaylord. Previous to this, Mr. Gaylord had erected and resided in a frame house

on Prospect street, near Sheriff, afterwards occupied by his son-in-law, Dr. Newberry, the famous geologist.



My father, Elisha Dibble, and mother, whose maiden name was Phoebe Stone, were residents of Aurelius, Cayuga county, New York, where I was born on August 28, 1807. I have no recollection of that place, as we left there in 1811 and went to River Raisin, Michigan, now known as Monroe. We left Buffalo on the schooner Ranger, and had no mishap on the voyage. On reaching there my father purchased a farm that had already been laid out. The first recollection in connection with anything of general interest is in 1812, when the war with England had broken out. General Hull's army was passing up on its way to Detroit, and our people had gone some distance to see it, whether above or below us I do not know, and left the children at home. I remember that the cherries were ripe, and that fact was impressed with the other on my young mind. My mother has often told me of the incidents in connection with Hull's surrender some time later. My father and older brother, Samuel Dibble, were in the field cradling when the express came riding through and announced the bad news. That whole section was then at the mercy of the British and Indians, and naturally the wildest terror and confusion reigned. My father and brother were members of a sort of militia company organized and located in that neighborhood. They quit their work and came to the house. Father said to Samuel: “Take one of the horses, your arms and uniform, and ride towards Ohio, and join the first troops you meet. I'll stay here and take care of mother and the little ones.” The horse was brought up and tied to the gate, while brother got ready. There were many French Canadians settled in that region who knew the Indians and understood them and had no fear, but the settlers from the eastern states were panic stricken. Many were fleeing, and while Samuel was in the house some one came along and rode off on his horse. He

obtained another, and rode to Swan creek, now Toledo, crossed the Maumee and went on up to Fort Meigs and joined General Harrison. He was attached to Colonel Ball's squadron. I do not know how long we remained at home after the news came, but as the Indians became very troublesome father decided to leave. He and a neighbor, whose name I think was Kent, obtained a small boat, not much larger than a yawl boat, placed their families and one or two other people aboard of it, with such goods and provisions as it would carry, and started for Cleveland. We remained one night, I remember being told, on the peninsula near Sandusky, and on another night camped at the mouth of Rocky River, where we remained during the next day while the women did some washing. Then we came on to Cleveland, which was our point of destination. Houses were scarce and hard to get, and it was some time before we could get a place to live in. Rudolphus Edwards owned a vacant double log house that stood back from the road at what is now the junction of Woodland avenue with Woodland Hills avenue, and we obtained possession of that. I can only fix one date just here. Father drew up a paper dated September 1, 1812, in which those signing agreed to go as scouts or spies against the Indians. His authority was a captain's commission, received either from General Wadsworth or General Perkins. He obtained some forty names, one of whom I remember was that of Thomas Rummage, father of the two men who were afterwards so well known as lake captains. My father and his men reported to General Perkins at Huron. Father remained in the field until he became sick and then came home, where he died soon afterwards. My older brother remained until the close of the war, and saw some hard service. The company to which he belonged was marched off toward Dayton before being disbanded, and he was obliged to go through a spell of sickness before he could come home. When he reached here he rode up to the house. A little daughter of Rudolphus Edwards' was there at the time, and when she saw a man with sword and pistol on, and saw the tears of my older sister who was overjoyed to see him, she thought something terrible had happened, and ran home as fast as her legs would carry her.

My brother helped to take care of mother and the little ones. He purchased fifty acres of land south of what is now Doan's Corners, and

When my

I was

moved us all out there. In 1816 my mother was married to Abraham Hickox, who was commonly known as “Uncle Abram." He owned a blacksmith shop where the Weddell house now stands. mother moved into Cleveland I remained with my brother, who was also married at about that time. I was with him for some time, and then went to work for Eleazer Waterman, who made brick at a point which is now the corner of River and Lighthouse streets. While engaged there I used to see the vessels come in and out, and boy-like took a great liking to a life on the water. My first venture was on the schooner Prudence, owned by Noble H. Merwin and commanded by Captain William Johnson. Our destination was Mackinaw, and our loads in those days were generally pork, flour and provisions. I next engaged to ship with Harpin Johnson, brother of William Johnson, in the Minerva, owned also by Merwin and named after his first wife. taken sick before we got off, and did not go. After I recovered I went with Jonathan Johnson, brother of Levi Johnson, who had fitted out a little schooner called the Mercator. We two sailed her alone. I received ten dollars a month, except during the last two months of the fall, when I received twelve dollars. We went to Buffalo, Detroit, Sandusky, the Maumee river and other points. The next year saw me in the Prudence again, at a salary of fifteen dollars per month. We sailed to Buffalo, Detroit, the upper lakes, and once to the Sault and Mackinaw. I was on this vessel for the season following, also.

In the winter I attended school. I had had some chance in that direction in a small and primitive school at Doan's Corners, but it amounted to little. My first experience in Cleveland was in the old academiy on St. Clair street. Three schools of different grades were being conducted in it. I entered one of the lower rooms, and as all the children were much smaller than myself—having had a better chance than had been afforded me—I soon grew tired of it and asked my teacher if I could not go up stairs among the larger pupils. He advised me to try it. Each student in those days paid his own way, and I asked my teacher what my bill would be. As I had been there only a day and a half, he said he would make no charge. I went up stairs where Harvey Rice was in charge. Some of the classes there were pretty well along, some of the students even taking Latin. I remember the

late Samuel Williamson was one of the pupils. Mr. Rice gave me a hearty welcome, and did all that lay in his power to make me feel at home. I remember him as a fine-looking, straight and dignified man, liked by his pupils, and in complete control of the school.

He was helpful to everybody, and had no need of punishments. He went on the theory that his pupils were gentlemen and ladies, and if they did not wish to conduct themselves as such they could leave the school. My experience under Mr. Rice is one of the pleasantest features of my life. I believe that I was his pupil for two winters, but am not positive as to that. He was succeeded by a man named Freeman, an Episcopal minister. As he was confessedly weak in mathematics, and as I was quite strong in that branch, I had to do considerable teaching, myself, during the winter I was under him. The arithmetics we used were Adams', Pike's, Daboll's, or anything that the pupil might have at home. Our next teacher was named Cook, and he was strong enough in mathematics for any of us. I studied the theory of navigation under him, and with that winter my going to school came to an end.

To return to my lake experience. After the two seasons in the Prudence the Captain and the owners had some trouble, and I left her, and after stopping on shore some time, went again with Captain Sanderson on the Minerva, We sailed to the Sault, and on our return were anchored off Cleveland when a heavy gale came on. We parted our chain cable and made sail. There was only the mate, with a sailor named Stewart and myself on board, and we had the gratest difficulty in preventing her from going ashore. We ran to Buffalo and drove into the ice in her harbor which brought us up short. Captain Sanderson, who had gone ashore at Cleveland, came down in a coach. While the boat lay there she was sold to Captain Lee. He brought her up to Cleveland and laid her up. Next year T. P. May and Melancthon Barnett were the owners of the schooner America, which had gone ashore at Otter Creek, now Port Burwell, on the Canadian side, in the fall previous. William Keith agreed to take charge of her as captain, while I was to go as mate, which was my first promotion from the ranks. We two with a ship Carpenter, named Jim Shorts, and a caulker named Brainard, took passage on the Minerva and went over to her. We worked on her six weeks, hauling her up on beach, puting in a new keel and mainmast

« PreviousContinue »