« PreviousContinue »
despising their government, and coveting their estates, before their death ? Or, have I contributed towards their necessities when they were in want, and I had it in my power to help them ? Or, have I not been disloyal to my prince, stubborn and unfaithful to my master, refractory and unthankful to my minister, peevish and unkind to my friend and companion ? God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.
6. “ If I have not actually taken away the life of any person, yet have I not made my neighbour's life grievous by oppression, rage, and violence against him? Or, have I not by fighting or quarrelling wounded his person ? Or, have I not tempted him by any other vice or intemperance, to destroy his health, and so shorten his days ? Or, have I not by false or contumelious speeches wounded his good naine and reputation ? Or, have I not, by my own luxury and intemperance in eating and drinking, been accessary to my own death?
God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.
7. “ If I have escaped the grosser acts of adul
tery and fornication, yet have I not conceived lust in my heart, and neglected the means to preserve my own and others' chastity ? Or, have I not by gluttony and drunkenness, or any other impure thoughts, defiled my soul ? Or, have I not accustomed myself to filthy talking, jesting, and immodest garbs, and unchaste behaviour in common conversation ? God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.
8. “ If I have not been guilty of common and public stealing, yet have I been true and just in all my dealings ? Or, have I not contracted debts, when I was conscious to myself, that I was not able to pay, or make restitution ? Or, have I not wasted my own or others estates by riotous living ? Or, have I not by violence and oppression exacted of my inferiors, or by unlawful usury taken advantage of their necessities? God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.
9. “ If I have not before the magistrate sworn falsely against any, man, yet have I not accustomed myself to lying and slandering ? Or, have I not accused my neighbour unjustly? Or, have I not concealed the truth of another, when justice and charity obliged me to give evidence of it? Or, have I not unjustly sought to uphold my own, or to blast another's credit ? God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.
10. “Have I not secretly complained against the providence of God, as if others had too much, and I too little ? Or have I not by unlawful means endeavoured to deprive others of their goods and property ? Or, have I laboured truly and faithfully to get my own living, and been contented with that state of life unto which it hath pleased GOD to call me ? God be merciful to me a sinner, and lay not this (or these) sins to my charge.”
CONFESSION OF SINS; SUPPLICATION
Almighty and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made, and dost forgive the sins of all them that are penitent, create and make in me a new and contrite heart, that I worthily lamenting my sins, and acknowledging my wretchedness, may obtain of Thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness, through JESUS CHRIST our Lord. Amen. See Psal li. vi. xxxii. xxxviii.
AN ACT OF CONTRITION.
FATHER, I have sinned against Heaven and before Thee, and am more worthy to be called thy son; woe is me, O Lord, who was conceived and born in sin, the thoughts of my heart were inclined unto evil from my youth. Woe is me, that I have sinned against Thee my Creator and kind benefactor. LORD, I have done evil continually in thy sight, and my life hath been little else but one continued course of impiety, unthankfulness, and of unworthy returns for all Thy goodness and loving-kindness to me. Woe is me, that I should thus requite the LORD. O that my head were water, and mine eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for my sin ! O gracious Lord, look on me as thou didst on the Apostle St. Peter, and let thy compassionate look so pierce my stony heart, that I may weep bitterly for my sins, and
may have that Godly sorrow which
worketh repentance unto salvation not to be repented of, for Jesus's sake. Amen. See Psal. xxv. xxxii. xxxviii.
A RESOLUTION TO LEAD A NEW LIFE.
And now, O LORD, I do not only with great shame and confusion of face confess and bewail the sinfulness and vanity of my whole life, but I do stedfastly resolve and purpose (through the assistance of Thy grace and Holy Spirit directing me) to renounce the devil and all his works, the pomps and vanities of this wicked world, and all the sinful lusts of the flesh.' Be pleased, O LORD, to strengthen and confirm all these good resolutions in me. And I heartily thank Thee, O heavenly Father, for calling me to this state of salvation through JESUS CHRIST my Saviour, who died for my sins, and rose again for my justification, and I humbly beseech Thee, for His sake, to give me grace to continue in the same unto my life's end. Amen. See Psal. i. xxiii. xxiv. xxv. cxix. cxxvi.