« PreviousContinue »
Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1839,
By WILLIAM BENTLEY FOWLE,
In the Clerk's Office of the District Court of Massachusetts.
STEREOTYPED AT THE
BOSTON TYPE AND STEREOTYPE FOUNDRY.
THE author of this compilation has endeavored to furnish such a selection of Scripture lessons as may be used in schools and families, without subjecting the teacher or the reader to the trouble of making a selection at the time of reading. That some selection was called for, no one will deny who has attempted to read the Bible in course to his pupils, or to his family; and whence is it that the Scriptures are so little read in our schools, when the conviction is so general that the Bible ought to be a school-book, if it be not that a suitable selection could not be found? After reading the Scriptures more than seventeen years in his own school, where are female children of all ages, and of every denomination of Christians, the compiler has endeavored to meet his own wants, after waiting in vain to have them better supplied.
In making this selection, the text of the common translation has been scrupulously followed; and, although the editor would gladly have altered many expressions that have become obsolete, or that do not conform to the prevailing rules of grammar, however correct they may have been when the translation was made, still he has given the text without note or comment, and unaltered, except in a very few words, [included in brackets,] where the reason of the change will be obvious. In a few cases, the pronunciation
of difficult words is marked; and the words in Italic type are emphatical words, and not words supplied by the translators, as is the case in common editions of the Bible.
The work is divided into Three Parts: the first containing selections from the Old Testament; the third, selections from the New, in chronological order, so that a correct general outline of Scripture history may be impressed upon the mind by the perusal of this compend; and the second part contains such miscellaneous passages as most forcibly exhibit the precepts of our religion, arranged under suitable heads. The compiler has been anxious not only to make every lesson a lesson of wisdom, but also to show that, besides their inestimable value as the only safe guide of faith and practice, the Holy Scriptures abound in the best reading lessons that our literature affords.
So far as this selection is calculated to promote the love and perusal of His Word, and the spiritual welfare of His erring children, and no farther, it is humbly commended to the blessing of our heavenly Father.
W. B. F.
SELECTIONS, CHIEFLY HISTORICAL, FROM THE
1. The Creation
2. The Death of Abel...
3. The Flood or Deluge.
4. The Confusion of Tongues or Languages
Friendly Separation of Abram and Lot
6. Abraham's Intercession for Sodom and Gomorrah.
10. Meeting of Esau and Jacob after their Estrangement 11. History of Joseph and his Brethren..
12. The Bondage and Deliverance of the Hebrews
13. The Delivery of the Ten Commandments at Sinai 14. Balaam blesses the Israelites....
7. The Sacrifice of Isaac
8. Abraham's Purchase of the Tomb of Machpelah..
Esau sells his Birthright, and Jacob obtains his Father's Bless
15. Moses addresses the Hebrews after giving the Law
19. The History of Ruth
The early Piety of Samuel
David kills the Giant Goliath
David's Lamentation over Saul and Jonathan
23. Nathan's Parable and Reproof of David. Absalom's Rebellion and Death
26. Solomon chooses Wisdom before Riches and Honor 27. Solomon's Prayer at the Dedication of the Temple. 28. Elijah and the Prophets of Baal.
29. Elijah's Distrust of God reproved..
Naaman's Leprosy cured by Elisha
31. Esther saves the Jews from a general Massacre 32. Trial and Constancy of the three pious Hebrews. 33. The Hand writing on the Wall..
34. Daniel preserved from the Lions.
SELECTIONS FROM SCRIPTURE, ON SUBJECTS RELATING
37. Spiritual Worship..
On the Character and Attributes of GOD..
Public Worship, and Observance of the Sabbath or Lord's Day.110
41. Different End of the Righteous and the Wicked.
42. Reconciliation to God by Jesus Christ..
On Suffering for the Sake of Righteousness.
46. Our Duties to the Poor and Afflicted.
47. Of Justice...
48. Forgiveness of Injuries
50. Pride and Humility
53. Management of the Tongue
54. Duties of Parents and Children.
55. Duties of Masters and Servants
Death and the Resurrection
The Holy Scriptures
59. Specimens of the Sublimity of the Scriptures.
SELECTIONS FROM THE NEW TESTAMENT.
History of Jesus until he was betrayed.
64. The Sermon on the Mount.
65. The Penitent Woman pardoned.
61. The Birth and Infancy of Jesus
62. His Baptism, and Promise of a more Spiritual Religion. ...184