« PreviousContinue »
[London, July 1835.]
VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS OF LITERATURE,
LONGMAN, REES, ORME, BROWN, GREEN, & LONGMAN.
[For a List of the Works comprised in this Catalogue, see p. 16.]
TRAVELS in ETHIOPIA,
ABOVE THE SECOND CATARACT OF THE NILE; Exhibiting the State of that Country, and its various Inhabitants, under the dominion of Mohammed Ali; and illustrating the Antiquities, Arts, and History of the Ancient Kingdom of Meröe.
By the Author of "Richelieu," Mary of Burgundy," &c.
"One of the very few good novels which the present year has produced."-Court Magazine. "The gipsy girl is one of the most perfect and beautiful sketches ever penned or imagined by Mr. James-it is perfect."-New Monthly.
"A romantic and interesting story."-Literary Gazette.
"The interest never flags."-Athenæum.
By the same Author,
MARY of BURGUNDY. 3 vols.
LIFE and ADVENTURES of JOHN MARSTON HALL. 3 vols.
JOURNAL of a VISIT to CONSTANTINOPLE.
Author of "Ascent of Mont Blanc," and "Sketches of Vesuvius." 8vo. with Plates, etched by George Cruikshank, from Drawings by the Author, 10s. 6d.
MRS. THOMSON'S NEW NOVEL.
ROSABEL; or, Sixty Years Ago.
By the Authoress of "Constance."
By the same Authoress,
MEMOIRS of HENRY VIII. 2 vols. 8vo. 28s.
THE CORPORATIONS of ENGLAND and WALES.
Vol. I. 8vo. 12s.
By A. E. COCKBURN, Esq. Barrister-at-Law, one of the Commissioners.
THE LIFE and TIMES of WILLIAM III.
By the Hon. A. TREVOR, M.P. M.A. F.A.S. &c. of Christ Church, Oxford.
The concluding Volume is in a state of great forwardness.
THE ENGLISH in INDIA.
"Of great interest........A spirited and correct representation of English life in India.”—Court Mag. "Displays no common talent."-Atlas.
"The author has observed life, and studied the workings of the human heart."-Spectator.
MEPHISTOPHILES in ENGLAND;
Or, the Confessions of a Prime Minister.
DR. LARDNER'S CABINET CYCLOPÆDIA, published in
Monthly Volumes, small 8vo. price 6s. each, in cloth.
68. HISTORY OF GREECE. (5 Vols.) Vol. I. By the Rev. C. Thirlwall, M.A. Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge.
66. SYSTEM OF ZOOLOGY. By William Swainson, Esq. Vol. II.
65. HISTORY OF IRELAND. By Thomas Moore, Esq, Vol. I.
63. LIVES OF EMINENT LITERARY AND SCIENTIFIC MEN. Vol. I.
62. HISTORY OF ENGLAND, continued from Sir James Mackintosh.
60, 64, 67. HISTORY OF THE GERMANIC EMPIRE. BY S. A. Dunham, Esq. Author of the "History of Spain and Portugal." 3 Vols.
59. PRELIMINARY DISCOURSE ON THE STUDY OF NATURAL HISTORY. BY WILLIAM SWAINSON, Esq.
56, 61. HISTORY OF THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE, 2 Vols. By M. de Sismondi. 55. TREATISE ON ARITHMETIC,THEORETICAL AND PRACTICAL. By Dr. Lardner. 54. MANUFACTURES IN METAL, Vol. III.: Tin, Lead, Copper, Gold, Silver, &c. 51. HISTORY OF NATURAL PHILOSOPHY, 1 Vol. By Professor Powell, Oxford. 50. HISTORY OF Rome, 2 Vols. Vol. I.
47. TREATISE ON THE ARTS, MANUFACTURES, MANNERS, AND INSTITUTIONS OF THE GREEKS AND ROMANS, 2 Vols. Vol. I.
46. LIVES OF THE MOST EMINENT FOREIGN STATESMEN. By E. E. Crowe. Vol. I. 45, 49, 53, 58. HISTORY OF EUROPE DURING THE MIDDLE AGES, 4 Vols.
44. CHRONOLOGY OF HISTORY, 1 Vol. By Sir Harris Nicolas.
41, 52. HISTORY OF THE CHURCH, 2 Vols. By the Rev. Henry Stebbing, M.A. 40, 48. 57. NAVAL HISTORY OF ENGLAND. By Robert Southey, Esq. Vols. I. to III. 39. TREATISE ON HEAT, and its Applications, 1 Vol. By Dr. Lardner. 34. TREATISE ON CHEMISTRY, 1 Vol. By M. Donovan, Esq.
31. HISTORY OF SWITZERLAND, 1 Vol.
29, 30, 32, 35, 38. HISTORY OF SPAIN AND PORTUGAL, 5 Vols.
27. HISTORY OF THE ITALIAN REPUBLICs, 1 Vol. By M. de Sismondi.
22. TREATISE ON THE SILK MANUFACTURE, 1 Vol.
19. TREATISE ON OPTICS, 1 Vol.
By Sir D. Brewster.
17. HYDROSTATICS AND PNEUMATICS, 1 Vol. By Dr. Lardner.
14. PRELIMINARY DISCOURSE ON NATURAL PHILOSOPHY. By Sir J. Herschel. 3, 33. THE WESTERN WORLD, 4 Vols. Vols. I. and II.-UNITED STATES, 2 Vols.
12, 15, 23. HISTORY OF FRANCE, 3 Vols. By E. E. Crowe.
2, 11, 16. HISTORY OF MARITIME AND INLAND DISCOVERY, 3 Vols.
10. HISTORY OF THE NETHERLANDS, 1 Vol. By T. C. Grattan, Esq.
8, 18, 37, 62. SIR JAMES MACKINTOSH'S HISTORY OF ENGLAND. Vols. I. to IV.
1, 4. HISTORY OF SCOTLAND, 2 Vols. By Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
SHORT WHIST; its Rise, Progress, and Laws: together with Maxims for Beginners, and Observations to make any one a Whist Player. By MAJOR A*****.
2d Edition, fcap. 8vo. with a Frontispiece, 38. in fancy cloth.
A DICTIONARY, PRACTICAL, THEORETICAL, and HISTORICAL, of COMMERCE and COMMERCIAL NAVIGATION.
By J. R. M'CULLOCH, Esq.
1 large vol. 8vo. Maps and Plans, 2d Edition, greatly enlarged and amended, with a SUPPLEMENT to October 1834, 21. 10s. bds.
This edition contains a full account of the late arrangements with respect to the BANK OF ENGLAND, the EAST INDIA COMPANY, and the TRADE to INDIA and CHINA. Copious abstracts are given of the new CUSTOMS ACTs, the ACT abolishing SLAVERY, &c.; and the modifications of the Law that bear upon Commercial Transactions are carefully specified. Much valuable information as to the Trade, Commercial Regulations, Shipping Charges, &c. in FOREIGN PORTS, has been obtained from the British Consuls, and from other sources. The GAZETTEER department has been greatly augmented, and, it is hoped, materially improved; two new Maps are added (exhibiting the Canals, Rail-roads, and Lighthouses of Britain, the Mouths of the Mersey and Dee, with the country from Liverpool to Manchester), and Plans of several of the principal British and Foreign Sea-Ports are given. *The SUPPLEMENT separately, price 6d.