« PreviousContinue »
Condemnation pronounced against them; and thereupon shall be cast out from the favourable Prefence of God, and the glorious Fellowship with Christ, his Saints, and all his holy Angels, into Hell to be punished with unspeakable Torments both of Body and Sout, with the Devil and his Angels for
90. Queft, What shall be done to the Righteous at the Day of Judgment?
Answ. At the Day of Judgment, the Righteous being caught up to Christ in the Clouds , shall be fet on his Right Hand, and there openly acknowledged and acquitted, shall join with him in the judging of reprobate Angels and Men &; and shall be received into Heaven, where they shall be
fully Mat. 25. 41. Then shall he fay be caught up together with them in also unto them on the left hand, the clouds, to meet the Lord in the Depart from me, ye cursed, into air: and so hall we ever be with the everlasting fire, prepared for the Lord. devil and his angels... v. 42. For f Mat. 25. 33. And he shall fet I was an hungred, and ye gave me the sheep on his right hand, but the no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave goats on the left, Mat. 10. 32. meno drink: vi43. I was a stranger, Whosoever therefore fhall confess and yetook me not in: naked, and me before men, him will I confess ye clothed me not: fick, and in pri- also before my Father' which is in fon, and ye visited me not.
heaven. Luke 16. 26. And besides all $ I Cor. 6. 2. Do ye not know that this, between us and you there is the saints shall judge the world: a great gulf fixed :. so that they And if the world shall be judged by which would pass from hence to you, are ye unworthy to judge the you, cannot ; neither can they pass smallelt masters ! v. 3. Know ye to us, that would come from thence. not that we shall judge angels? how 2 Thef. 1.8. In flaming fire, taking much more then the things that per“Vengeance on them that know not tain to this life. God, and that obey not the gospel
Mat, 25. 34. Then shall the of our Lord Jesus Chrift: v.9. Who King say unto them on his right shall be punished with everlasting hand, Come ye blessed of my Fadestruction from the presence of the ther, inherit the kingdom prepared Lord, and from the glory of his for you from the foundation of the power.
world.v.46. And these shall go away • 1 Thes. 4. 17. Then we into everlasting punishment: but the which are alive, and remain, shall righteous into life eternal.
fully and for ever freed from all Sin and Misery i; filled with unconceivable Joysk; made perfe&ly holy and happy both in Body and Soul, in the Company of innumerable Saints and holy Angels', but especially in the immediate Vision and Fruition of God the Father, of our Lord Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit to all Eternity m. And this is the perfect and full Communion, which the Members of the Invisible Church shall enjoy with Christ in Glory, at the Resurrc&ion and Day of Judgment.
What Duty God requires of Man. 91. Quest. What is the Duty that God requireth of Man?
Answ. The Duty which God requireth of Man, is Obedience to his revealed Will.
92, Queft. * Eph. s. 27. That he might pre and to the spirits of just men made sent it to himself a glorious church, perfect. not having spot or wrinkle, or any Fohn 3. 2. Beloved, now are such thing; but that it thould be ho- we the fons of God, and it doth not ly and without blemish. Rev. 14. yet appear what we shall be: but we 13. And I heard a voice from hea- know that when he shall appear, we ven, laying unto me, Write, Blef- fhall be like him ; for we shall see fed are the dead which die in the him as he is. I Cor. 13. 12. For now Lord, from hencefogth : yea, faith we see through a glass, darkly, but the Spirit, that they may rest from then face to face : now I know in their labours ; and their works do part, but then shall I know even as follow them.
I am known. i Thef. 4. 17. Then k. Psalm 16. II. Thou wilt shew we which are alive, and remain,shall me the path of life; in thy presence be caught up together with them in » fulness of joy, at thy right hand the clouds, to meet the Lord in the there are pleasures for evermore. air ; and so shall we ever be with
Heb. 12. 22. But ye are come un- the Lord. v.18. Wherefore, com to mount Sion, and unto the city fort one another with these words, of the living God, the heavenly Je 91. Rom. 12. 1. I beseech you rufalem, and to an innumerable therefore, brethren, by the mercies company of angels. 7.23. To the of God, that ye present your bodies general assembly, and church of the a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable firft-born which are written in hea- unto God, which is your reasonable ich, and to God the judge of all,
. What did God at first reveal unto Man as the Rule of his Obedience ?
Answ. The Rule of Obedience revcaled to Adam in the Estate of Innocence, and to all Mankind in him, beside a special Command, not to eat of the Fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, was the Moral Law ..
93. Quest. What is the Moral Law ?
Answ. The Moral Law is the Declaration of the Will of God to Mankind, dire&ting and binding every one to personal, perfe&, and perpetual Conformity and Obedience thereunto, in the Frame and Disposition of the whole Man Soul and Body P,
and service. v,2. And be not conformed ture the things contained in the to this world; but be ye transformed law, these having not the law, are by the renewing of your mind, that a law unto themselves : v.15. Which ye may proye what is that good, and shew the work of the law written in acceptable and perfect will of God. their hearts, their conscience also Micah 6. 8. He hath shewed thee, bearing witness, and their thoughts O man, what is good ; and what the mean while accusing, or else doth the Lord require of thee, but excusing one another. Rom. 10. . to do juftly, and to love mercy, For Moses describeth the righteousand to walk humbly with thy God: ness which is of the law, That the i Sam. 15. 22. And Samuel Taid, man which doth those things, shall Hath the Lord as great delight in live by them. Gen. 2. 17. But of burnt-offerings and sacrifices, as in the tree of the knowledge of good obeying the voice of the Lord: Be- and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: hold, to obey, is better than facrifice; for in the day that thou eatest thereand to hearken,than the fat of rams, of, thou shalt surely die.
92. • Gen. 1. 26. And God faid, 93. P Deut. s. I. And Moses cala Let us make man in our image, after led all Israel, and said unto them, our likeness: and let them have do- Hear, O Israel, the statutes and minion over the fish of the sea, and judgments which I speak in your over the fowl of the air, and over ears this day, that ye may learn the cattle, and over all the earth, them, and keep, and do them. and over every creeping thing that v. 2. The Lord our God made a creepeth upon the earth. v.27. So covenant with us in Horeb. v. 3. God created man in his own image, The Lord made not this covenant in the image of God created he him: with our fathers, but with us, even male and female created he them. us, who are all of us here alive this Rom. 2. 14. For when the Gentiles day. V. 31. But as for thee, ftand which have not the law, do by na.
and in Performance of all those Duties of Holiness and Righteousness which he oweth to God and Man ? promising Life upon the fulfilling, and threatning Death upon the Breach of it t.
94. Quest. Is there any Use of the Moral Law to Man fince the Fall ?
Answ. Although no Man since the Fall, can attain to Righteousness and Life by the Moral Law', yet there is great Use thereof, as well common to all Men, as peculiar either to the Unregenerate, or the Regenerate
95. Quest. thou here by me, and I will speak our life. AEts 24. 16. And herein anto thee all the commandments, do I exercise my selfto have always and the statutes, and the judg- a conscience void of offence both ments which thou shalt teach them, toward God and toward men. that they may do them in the land i Rom. 10.s. For Moses describeth which I give them to possess it, the righteousness which is of the v. 33. You shall walk in all the law, That the man which doth those ways which the Lord your God hath things shall live by them. Gal. 3.10. commanded you, that ye may live, For as many as are of the works of and that it may be well with you, the law, are under the curse : forit and that ye may prolong your days is written, Cursed is every one that in the land which ye fall possess. continueth not in all things which Luke 10, 26. He said unto him, What are written in the book of the law is written in the law ? how readest to do them. v. 12. And the law thou? v.27. And he answering,said, is not of faith : but, The man that Thou shalt love the Lord thy God doth them shall live in them. with all thy heart, and with all thy Rom. 8. 3. For what the law soul, and with all thy strength, and could not do, in that it was weak with all thy mind; and thy neigh- through the Aesh, God sending his bour as thy self. Gal. 3. 10. For own Son, in the likeness of linful as many as are of the works of the fielh, and for sin condemned sin in law, are under the curse : for it is the felh. Gal. 2. 16. Knowing that written, Cursed is every one that a man is not justified by the works continueth not in all things which of the law, but by the faith of Jesus are written in the book of the law Christ, even we have believed in to do them. I Thes. s. 23. And the Jesus Christ; that we might be justivery God of peace fan&tify you fied by the faith of Christ, and not wholly: and I pray God, your whole by the works of the law : for by spirit and foul and body be pre- the works of the law shall no Aeth served blameless unto the coming be justified. of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I Tim. 1. 8. But we know that 9 Luke 1.75. In holiness and righ- the law is good, ifa man use it lawteousness before him all the days of fully.
os ir Leve
95. Quest. Of what Use is the Moral Law to all Men?
Answ. The Moral Law is of Use to all Men, to inform them of the holy Nature and Will of God, and of their Duty, binding them to walk accordingly w; to convince them of their Disability to keep it, and of the sinful Pollution of their Nature, Hearts and Lives *; to humble them in Sense of their Sin and Misery', and thereby help them to a clearer Sight of the Need they have of Christ ?, and of the Perfection of his Obedience a.
96. Quest. "Lev. 11. 44. For I am the ing of them there is great reward. Lord your God: ye shall therefore v. 12. Who can understand his erfan&ify your selves, and ye shall be rors ? cleanfe thou me from secret holy; for I am holy: neither shall faults. Rom. 3 20. Therefore by the ye defile your selves with any man- deeds of the law there shall no flesh ner of creeping thing that creepeth be justified in his fight:for by the law upon the earth. v. 45. For I am the is the knowledge of fin. Rom.7.7. Lord that bringeth you up out of what shall we say then? Iš the law the land of Egypt, to be your God: fin? God forbid. Nay, I had noc ye shall therefore be holy, for I am known sin, but by the law : for 1 holy. Lev, 20.7. San&ify your selves had not known lust, except the law therefore, and be yeħoly: for I am had said, Thou shalt not covet. the Lord your God. v. 8. And ye y Rom.-3. 9. What then? are we shall keep my statutes,and do them: better than they? No in no ways: I am the Lord which fan&tify you. for we have before proved both Rom. 7.12. Wherefore the law is ho- Jews and Gentiles, that they are ly; and the commandment holy, all under sin. v. 23. For all have and just, and good.
finned, and come short ofthe glory w Micah 6.8. He hath shewed thee, of God. O man, what is good ; and what • Gal. 3.21. Is the law then against doth the Lord require of thee, but the promises of God? God forbid : to do juftly, and to love mercy, and for if there had been a law given to walk humbly with thy God: James which could have given life, veri2.10. For whosoever shall keep the ly righteousness should have been whole law, and yet offend in one by the law. v.22. But the scripture point, he is guilty of all. v. 11. For hath concluded all under sin, that he that said, Do not commit adul- the promise by faith of Jesus Christ tery, said also, Do not kill. Now might be given to them that beif thou commit no adultery, yet if licve. thou kill, thou art become a tranf * Rom. 10.4. For Christ is the end greffor of the law.
of the law, for righteousnefs to eve* Psalm 19. 11. Moreover by them ry one that bclicveth. is thy servant warned: and in keep