« PreviousContinue »
24. Q. Hiw doth Christ execute the Office of a Prophet?
Answ. Christ executeth the Office of a Prophet, in reyealing to us by his Word and Spirit, the Wili of God for our Salvation.
25. Q. How dith Christ execute the Office of a Priest ?
Answ. Christ executeth the Office of a Priest, in his once offering up of himself a Sacrifice to satisfy Divine Justice w, and reconcile us to God, and making continualinterceffion for us '.
26. Quest. no end, upon the throne of David things which are now reported unto and upon his kingdom, to order it, you, by them that have preached and to establish it with judgment the gospel unto you, with the holy and with justice from henceforth Ghost sent down from heaven ; even for ever : the zeal of the Lord which things the angels desire to of hosts will perform this. Matth. look into. John 15.15. Henceforth 21.5. Tell ye the daughter of Sion, I call you not servants; for the serbehold thy king cometh unto thee, vant knoweth not what his Lord meek, and fitting upon an als, and doth; but I have called you friends; a colt the fole of an ass. Psalm 2. 8. for all things that I have heard of Ask of me, and i shall give tisee the my Father, I have made known heathen for thine inheritance, and unto you. Folin 20. 31. But these the uttermoft parts of the earth for are written that ye might believe thy poffeßion, v. 9. Thou shalt that Jesus is the Christ the son of break them with a rod of iron, thou God, and that believing ye might fhalt dash them in pieces like a pot- have life through his name. ters vessel. V, 10. Be wise now there w Heb. 9. 14. How much fore, Oye kings: beinstructed, ye more shall the blood of Christ, judges of the earth. v. 11. Serve who through the eternal Spirit, ofthe Lord with fear, and rejoice with fered himself without spot to God, trembling.
purge your conscience from dead 24. " folin 1.18. No man hath seen works to serve the living God? God at any time; the only begot- v. 28. So Christ was once offered ten Son, which is in the bosom of to bear the sins of many ; and the Father, he hath declared him. unto them that look for him fall i Pet. 1.10. Of which falvation the he appear the second time, with prophets have enquired, and search- out lin, unto salvation. cd diligently, who prophelied of the * Heb. 2. 17. Wherefore in all grace that should come unto you: v.11. things it behoved him to be made Searching what, or what manner of like unto his brethren; that he might time the Spirit of Christ which was be a merciful and faithful high in them did signify, when it testi- priest in things pertaining to God, fied before hand the sufferings of co make reconciliation for the lips Christ, and the glory that should of the people. follow. V. 12. Unto whom it was y Heb. 7. 24. But this man borevealed, that not unto themselves, cause he continuerh ever, hath an but onto us they did minister the
26. Quest. How doth Christ execute the Office of a King ?
Answ: Christ executeth the Office of a King, in subduing us to himself?, in ruling , and defending usb,
and in restraining and conquering all his and qur Enemies c. : 27. Quest. Wherein did Christ's Humiliation confift?
Answ. Christ's Humiliation consifted in his being born, and that in a low Condition ", made under the Law, undergoing the Miseries of this Life F, the Wrath of Gods, and the cursed Death of the
Crossb unchangeable priesthood. v. 25., laid him in a manger, because there Wherefore he is able also to save was no room for them in the inn. them to the uttermof, that come e Gal. 4. 4. But when the fulness unto God by him, seeing he ever li- of time was come, God sent forth veth to make interceflion for them. his Son made of a woman, made
26. ? Afts IS. 14. Simeon hath under the law, declared how God at the first did vi f Heb. 12. 2. Looking unto Jesus fit the Gentiles, to take out of them the author and finisher of our faith; a people for his name. v. Is. And who for the joy that was set before to this agree the words of the him, endured the cross, despising prophets ; as it is written, v. 16. the shame, and is see down at the After this I will return, and build right hand of the throne of God. again the tabernacle of David, v. 3. For consider him that endured which is fallen down : and I will such contradiction of finners abuild again the ruines thereof, and gainst himself, lest ye be wearied I will set it up.
and faint in your minds. Ifai. 5 3. 2. a Isai. 3 3. 22. For the Lord is our For he shall grow up before him as julge, the Lord is our lawgiver, the a tender plant, and as a root out of Lord is our king, he will save us. a dry ground : he hath no form nor
Isai. 3 2. 1. Behold, a King shall comeliness: and when we shall see reign in righteousness, and princes him, there is no beauty that we should Phall rule in judgment. v. 2. And desire him. v. 3. He is despised and a inan shall be as an hiding-place rejected of men, a man of sorrows, from the wind, and a covert from and acquainted with grief: and we the tempeft; as rivers of water in hid as it were our faces from him; a dry place, as the hadow of a great he was despised, and we esteemed rock in a weary land.
'1 Cor. 15.25. For he must reign, & Luke 22. 44. And being in an till he hath put all enemies under agony, he prayed more earnestly : his feet. Psalm 110, throughout.
and his sweat was as it were great Luke 2. 7. And she brought drops of blood falling down to the forth her first-born son, and wrap- ground. Matth. 27. 46. And about ped him in swadling clothes, and
Cross B, in being buried, and continuing under the Power of Death for a Time k.
28. Quest. Wherein confifteth Christ's Exaltation?
Answ. Christ's Exaltation consisteth in his Riling again from the Dead on the Third Day', in Ascending up into Heaven m, in Sitting at the Right-hand of God the Father ", and in Coming to judge the World at the Last Dayo.
29. Queft. How are we made Partakers of the Redemption purchased by Christ? Ans. We are made Partakers of the Redemp
tion the ninth hour Jesus cried with a before, spake of the resurrection of loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama Christ, that his soul was not left sabachthani ? that is to say, My in hell, neither his fielh did see God, my God, why hast thou for- corruption. saken me?
28. I Cor. IS, 4. And that he he Phil. 2. 8. And being found in was buried, and that he rose again falhion as a man, he humbled him- the third day according to the scripself, and became obedient unto tures. death, even the death of the cross. m Mark 16.19. Șo then after the
! Cor. 1$. 3. For I delivered an- Lord had spoken to them, he was to you first of all, that which I al- received up into heaven, and sat to received, how that Chrift died on the right hand of God. for our sins according to the scrip Eph. 1.29. Which he wrought tures : 7.4. And that he was buried, in Christ, when he raised him and that he rose again the third from the dead, and set him at day according to the seriptures. his own right hand in the hea
* Acts 2. 24. Whom God hath venly places, raised up, having loosed the pains O Acts 1, 11. Which also said, of deatlı : becaule it was not pos- Ye men of Galilee, why ftand ye lible that he should be holden ofit, gazing up into heaven this fame 7.25. For David speaketh concern- Jesus which is taken up from you ing him, I foresaw the Lord always into heaven, thall so come in like before my face, for he is on my manner as ye have seen him go right hand that I thould not be mo- into heaven. Acts 17. 31. Bem ved. v. 26. Therefore did my heart cause he hath appointed a day in rejoice, and my tongue was glad the which he will judge the world moreover also, my fiella Phall rest in in righteousness, by tkat man whom hope. v.27. Because thou wilt not he hath ordained ; whereof he leave iny soul in hell, neither wilt hath given assurance unto all men, thou suffer thine holy one to see in that he hath raised him from corruption. ¥. 31. He fecing this the deada
29. P Foto
tion purchased by Christ, by the effe&ual Application of it to us P by his Holy Spirit 9.
30. Quest. How doth the Spirit apply to us the Ren. demption purchased by Christ?
Answ. The Spirit applieth to us the Redemption purchased by Christ, by working Faith in us, and thereby uniting us to Christ in our effe&ual Cala ling,
31. Quest. What is effectual Calling ?
Answ. Effectual Calling is the work of God's Spirit", whereby, convincing us of our Sin and Misery', inlightning our Minds in the Knowledge of
Christ w 29. » John 1. 11. He came unto saved, through faith; and that not his own, and his own received him of your selves: it is the gift of God.
v. 12. But as many as recei Eph. 3. 17. That Christ may ved him, to them gave he power to dwell in your hearts by faith; thác become the sons of God, even to ye being rooted and grounded in them that believe on his name.
love. 1 Cor. 1. 9. God is faithful, 9 Tit. 3. s. Not by works of by whom ye were called unto the righteousness, which we have done, fellow hip of his son Jesus Chrift but according to his mercy he saved our Lord. us by the washing of regeneration,
2 Tim. 1.9. Who hath faand renewing of the holy Ghost; ved us, and called us with an holy v. 6. Which
he shed on us abundant- calling, not according to our works, ly, through Jesus Christ our Saviour. but according to his own purpose
30. Eph. 1. 13. In whom yeallo and grace which was given us in trusted, after that ye heard the word Christ Jesus, before the world beof truth, the gospel of your salva- gan. 2 Thess. 2.13. But we are bound tion: in whom also after that ye be to give thanks alway to God for you, lieved, ye were sealed with that holy brethren, beloved of the Lord, beSpirit of promise. v. 14. Which is cause God hath from the beginning the earnest of our inheritance, until chofen you to falvation, through the redemption of the purchased fan&tification of the Spirit, and beposseflion, unto the praise of his lief of the truth: v.14 Whereunto glory. John 6. 37. All that the he called you by our gospel, to the Father giveth me, shall come unto obtaining of the glory of our Lord me; and him that cometh to me, I Jesus Christ. willin no wife cast out.
v. 39. And
"Afts 2. 37. Now when they this is the Fathers will which hath heard ihis, they were pricked in their sent me, that of all which he hath hearts, and said unto Peter, and to given me, I should lose nothing, but the rest of the apostles, Men and brehould raise it up again at the last thren, what shall we do! day. Eph. 2. 8. For by grace are ye
Christ w, and renewing our Wills *, he doth perswade and enable us to embrace Jesus Christ, freely offered to us in the Gospel y.
32. Quest, What Benefits do they that are effe£tually called partake of in this Life?
Answ. They that are effectually called do in this Life partake of Justification ?, Adoption ?, Sanaification, and the several Benefits which in this Life do either accompany or flow from them.
33. Quest. What is Justification ?
Answ. Justification is an Act of God's free Grace, wherein he pardoneth all our Sins, and accepteth
üs W AFTS 26. 18To open their he justified, them he also glorified. eyes, and to turn them from dark a Eph. 1. s. Having predestinaness to light, and from the power of ted us unto the adoption of children Satan unto God, that they may re- by Jesus Christ to himself, accordceive forgiveness of sins, and inhe- ing to the good pleasure of his will.
among them which are fan I Cor. i. 26. For ye see your &ified by faith that is in me. calling, brethren, how that not ma
* Ezek. 36. 26. A new heart also ny wife men after the fell, not will I give yog, and a new spirit will many mighty, not many noble are I put within you, and I willtake a- called. 7.30. But of him are yein way the stony heart out of your fell, Christ Jesus, who of God is made and I will give you an heart of Aelh, unto us wisdom, and righteousness, v. 27. And I will put my Spirit with- and sanctification, and redemption. in you, and cause you to walk in my 33. Rom, 3. 24. Being justified Natutes, and ye shall keep my judg: freely by his grace, through the rements, and do them.
demption that is in Jesus Chrift; y John 6. 44. Noman can come v. 25. Whom God hath set forth to me, except the Father which hath to be a propitiation, through faith sent me, draw him: and I will raise in his blood, to declare his righhim up at the last day. v. 45. It is teousness for the remission of lins written in the prophets, And they that are past, through the forbeafall be all taught of God. Every rance of God. Rom.4.6. Even as man therefore that hath heard, and David also describeth the blessedhath learned of the Father, cometh ness ofthe man' unto whom God im
Phil. 2. 13. For it is God puteth righteousness without works, which worketh in you, both to will v. 7. Saying, Blessed are they whose and to do of his good pleasure. iniquities are forgiven, and whose
Rom. 8. 30. Moreover, fins are covered. v. 8. Blessed is whom he did predestinate, them he the man to whom the Lord will not also called: aid whom he called, impute fin. them he also justified: and whom
¢ 2 Cor.