Page images

Fee £3.

the least, certifying that the building is a separate building, that it has been used by them during one year at least, as their usual place of Public Religious Worship, and that they are desirous that such place should be Registered for the Solemnization of Marriages.

The Trustee or Proprietor applying, must then obtain the Signatures of at least twenty such householders to each of the Certificates. The same twenty householders must sign both the Certificates. The Trustee or Proprietor applying must also countersign them both himself; and must deliver them both, so signed

and countersigned, to the Superintendent Regis

trar, and must, at the same time, pay him Three Pounds, and no more.

The Superintendent-Registrar will then send both the Certificates to the Registrar-General at the General Register Office in London, who will Register the Chapel in a book kept there for that purpose. He will then write the date of the Registry on the back of each of the householders' Certificates, one of which he will keep, and will send the other back to the Superintendent-Registrar of the Registration District wherein the Chapel is situate ; who, on receiving it, must enter the date of the Registry as written by the Registrar-General on the back of it, in a book kept in his Office for that purpose. He will then make, on a piece of parchment or vellum, a Certificate of such Registry, which he will himself sign, and will deliver it to the Trustee or Proprietor of the Chapel, who delivered the householders' Certificates to him. The Superintendent-Registrar must also give Notice, that the Chapel has been Registered for Marriages, by advertising the same in some Newspaper circulating in the County; and also in the “ London Gazette."

No further Fee will be payable than the above-mentioned Three Pounds, which covers the whole expense of the Registration, including the Advertisements.

Note.-It will be seen from the above directions, that where the Chapel is private property, the Proprietor,” and, where it is settled upon Trustees, one “ Trustee" at least, must join in the application for Registering the Chapel.




If any Chapel Registered for solemnizing Marriages therein shall afterwards be disused for the Public Religious Worship of the Congregation on whose behalf it was Registered, the Registrar-General, on that fact being made to appear to his satisfaction, shall cause the Registry thereof to be cancelled ; after which it will not be lawful to solemnize any Marriage therein until it shall have been again Registered, as at first. (6 & 7 W. IV. c. 85, s. 19.)

In case of a Registered Chapel belonging to any other Denomination of Protestants being purchased for a Wesleyan Chapel, if it be intended to solemnize Marriages therein, it must be Registered anew, unless the “same Congregation" continue to occupy it; but as that may always be a matter of doubt, it is recommended that in all such cases a new Registration be obtained in the manner before directed.


REGISTERED CHAPEL DISUSED. If a Registered Chapel become disused, and another be substituted for it, the substituted Chapel may be Registered for Marriages forthwith, without waiting till it shall have been occupied for a year, as in case of an Original Registration ; but the same application must be made by a Trustee or Proprietor of the substituted Chapel, --Certificates obtained and signed by twenty householders and the Trustee or Proprietor applying,—the same fee of L3 must be paid, and the same proceedings in every respect taken, as in the case of an Original Registration, for which directions have been already given, pages 123, 124; and in this case the Certificates of Application for the Registry of the substituted building must also embody a request that the Registry of the disused Chapel may be cancelled.




I. Notice to the Superintendent-Registrar. WHEN parties intend to be married under this Act, whether by Licenceor Certificate, one of them must give to the SuperintendentRegistrar of the Registration District in which they have dwelt for not less than seven days next preceding, a Notice in writing signed by him or her, of their intention to marry. If both parties have not dwelt for the last seven days in the same District, the like Notice must in that case be given to the Superintendent-Registrar of both the Districts in which they have severally dwelt for the last seven days. The Notice or Notices must either be given personally to the Superintendent-Registrar, or, if delivered by the hand of another, or through the post, satisfactory evidence must be given to the Superintendent-Registrar, if he require it, that the signature is that of the person professing to give the Notice, otherwise the Superintendent-Registrar will be justified in refusing to receive it.

Every Superintendent-Registrar keeps blank forms of Notices by him, which on application he will allow the party to fill up, or will himself fill up on the proper information being given to him. The Notice, when filled up, must contain the following particulars :

1. The name, or names, and surname of each party, written at full length.

2. The condition of each, whether Bachelor or Spinster, Widower or Widow.

3. The rank, profession, trade, or calling.

4. The age of each : thus, “ of full age,” or “ Minor," as the case may be; but it is better to state the exact age.

The name or number of the house, and name of the street, or name of the village or place, in which each party then resides.

6. The length of residence (being not less than seven days) in the District. If not more than a month, state the number of days. If more than a calendar month, state“ more than a month.”

7. The name of the Chapel in which the Marriage is to be solemnized.

8. The District and County in which the other party resides, when the parties dwell in different Districts.

9. The Notice must be signed by the party giving it, and dated the

same day. A party who cannot write may sign by making a cross x. This Notice must be left with the Superintendent-Registrar, who will forthwith copy it into his Marriage-Notice Book, and file it in his Office, and will be entitled to a fee of one shilling. When the parties reside in different Districts, as a Notice must be given in each, two fees will be payable, namely, one shilling in each District.



If there be not within the District in which one of the Parties dwells, any Registered Building in which Marriage is solemnized according to the Form, Rite, or Ceremony of the Wesleyan Methodists, the party intending Marriage may, at the time of giving such Notice, declare by Indorsement thereon the following particulars :

1. That the Party professes to belong to the Body of Christians called Wesleyan Methodists.

2. That the Parties in the Solemnization of their M age desire to adopt the Form, Rite, or Ceremony of the Wesleyan Methodists.

3. That, to the best of his or her Knowledge and Belief, there is not within the District in which one of the Parties dwells, any Registered Building in which Marriage is solemnized according to such Form, Rite, or Ceremony.

4. The District nearest to the residence of that Party in which á Building is Registered wherein Marriage is so solemnized.

5. The Registered Building within such District in which the Par

ties intend to solemnize their Marriage. (3 & 4 Vict. c. 72, s. 2.)* After which the Marriage may be solemnized in the Registered Building mentioned in such Indorsement.

III. The Manner and Time of the Marriage. The Marriage Notice or Notices having been properly given, as before directed, the parties may be Married either,

1. By Licence, or,
2. By Certificate.

1. By Licence. As to the Time. A Licence cannot be obtained until the expiration of seven days after the entry of the Notice or Notices; that is, there must be seven clear days between the day on which the Notice is entered, and the day on which

* The required Indorsement on the Notice may be in the following Form :

I, the undersigned and within-named William Hastings, do hereby declare, that I, being a Member of the Wesleyan-Methodist Society, and the withinnamed Sophia Ann Mitchell, in solemnizing our intended Marriage, desire to adopt the Form, Rite, or Ceremony of the Wesleyan Methodists; and that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, there is not within the Superintendent Registrar's District in which [I dwell,) or, [in which the said Sophia Ann Mitchell dwells,] any Registered Building in which Marriage is solemnized according to such Form, Rite, or Ceremony ; and that the nearest District to [my Dwelling Place,] or [to the Dwelling Place of the said Sophia Ann Mitchell,] in which a Building is Registered, wherein Marriage may be solemnized according to such Form, Rite, or Ceremony, is the District of Saint Luke in the County of Middlesex; and that we intend to solemnize our Marriage in the Registered Building within that District known by the name of the City-Road Chapel. Witness my hand this Tenth Day of February, One Thousand Eight Hundred and FortySeven.


WILLIAM HASTINGS. The Italics in this Form to be filled up as the case may be.

the Licence is obtained : as, for instance, if Notice be entered on a Monday, the Licence cannot be had till the Tuesday week following ; but the Marriage may be solemnized on the same day on which the Licence is obtained. Parties are not under any necessity to apply for a Licence immediately on the expiration of seven days after the Notice ; but the Marriage must be had some time within three Calendar months after the Notice, or the Notice and Licence will be void, and must be given and obtained, and the fee paid, anew. (Sec. 7.)

As to Place. The Licence must be granted by the Superintendent-Registrar in whose District the Marriage is to be solemnized; and, except in the case of Marriages solemnized under the Act 3 & 4 Vict. c. 72, (respecting which see pages 126, 127,) one of the parties must have had his or her usual place of abode within that District for the space of fifteen days immediately before the day of the grant of the Licence, that is, seven days next preceding the day on which notice was entered, (sec. 4,) and after the expiration of seven days from that day : (sec. 7:) making together fifteen days. (Sec. 12.) And (except in the case above mentioned) the Marriage must be solemnized in the District of a Superintendent Registrar, to whom the Notice was given ; but where the parties have resided in, and Notices have been given in different Districts, they may choose in which of those two Districts they will be married.

How to obtain the Licence. (1.) When both parties reside in the same District. At any time after the expiration of seven days, and within three Calendar Months from the day the Notice is entered, one of the parties intending Marriage must appear personally before the Superintendent-Registrar of that District, and make oath or his or her solemn affirmation or declaration to the facts following ; namely, (sec. 12,)—

1. That he or she believeth that there is not any impediment of kindred or alliance, or other lawful hinderance, to the Marriage.

2. That one of the parties has for fifteen days immediately before the grant of the Licence had his or her usual place of abode in the District within which the Marriage is to be solemnized.

3. That where either party not being a Widower or Widow is under twenty-one years of age, the consent of the person or persons whose consent thereto is required by law has been obtained, or, that there is no person having authority to give consent.

« PreviousContinue »