« PreviousContinue »
defiled by the dead body of a man, that they 20. And so it was, when the cloud was could not keep the passover on that day: a few days upon the tabernacle; according and they came before Moses and before to the commandment of the LORD they Aaron on that day:
abode in their tents, and according to the 7. And those men said unto him, We commandment of the LORD they journeyed. are defiled by the dead body of a man: 21. And so it was, when the cloud abode wherefore are we kept back, that we may from even unto the morning, and that the cloud not offer an offering of the Lord in his ap- was taken up in the morning, then they jourpointed season among the children of Israel? neyed; whether it was by day or by night
8. And Moses said unto them, Stand still, that the cloud was taken up, they journeyed. and I will hear what the LORD will com- 22. Or whether it were two days or a month. mand concerning you.
or a year, that the cloud tarried upon the ta9. And the LORD spake unto Moses, bernacle, remaining thereon, the children of saying,
Israel abode in their tents, and journeyed not, 10. Speak unto the children of Israel, but when it was taken up, they journeyed. saying, If any man of you or of your pos- 23.At the commandment of the LORD they terity shall be unclean by reason of a dead rested in their tents, and at the commandbody, or be in a journey afar off, yet he shall ment of the LORD they journeyed: they kept keep the passover unto the LORD.
the charge of the LORD, at the commandii. The fourteenth day of the second ment of the Lord by the hand of Moses. month at even they shall keep it, and eat it
CHAP, X, with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
11 The Israelites remove from Sinai to Paran. 14 The or12. They shall leave none of it unto the
der of their march, morning, nor break any bone of it: accord 1. ND the LORD spake unto Moses, ing to all the ordinances of the passover they shall keep it.
2. Make thee two trumpets of silver: of a 13. But the man that is clean, and is not whole piece shalt thou make them, that thou in a journey, and forbeareth to keep the mayest use them for the calling of the aspassover, even the same soul shall be cut sembly, and for the journeying of the camps. off from his people: because he brought not 3. And when they shall blow with them, the offering of the Lord in his appointed all the assembly shall assemble themselves season, that man shall bear his sin.
to thee at the door of the tabernacle of the 14. And if a stranger shall sojourn among congregation. you, and will keep the passover unto the 4. And if they blow but with one trumLORD; according to the ordinance of the pet, then the princes, which are heads of the passover, and according to the manner thousands of Israel, shall gather themselves thereof, so shall he do: ye shall have one unto thee. ordinance, both for the stranger, and for him 5. When ye blow an alarm, then the camps that was born in the land.
that lie on the east parts shall go forward. 15. And on the day that the tabernacle was
6. When ye blow an alarm the second reared up, the cloud covered the tabernacle, time, then the camps that lie on the south namely, the tent of the testimony: and at even side shall take their journey : they shall there was upon the tabernacle as it were the blow an alarm for their journeys. appearance of fire, until the morning. 7. But when the congregation is to be
16. So it was always: the cloud covered gathered together, ye shalĩ blow, but ye it by day, and the appearance of fire by night. shall not sound an alarm.
17. And when the cloud was taken up 8. And the sons of Aaron, the priests, from the tabernacle, then after that the shall blow with the trumpets; and they children of Israel journeyed: and in the shall be to you for an ordinance for ever place where the cloud abode, there the chil- throughout your generations. dren of Israel pitched their tents. :
9. And if ye go to war in your land against 18. At the commandment of the LORD the enemy that oppresseth you, then ye the children of Israel journeyed, and at the shall blow an alarm with the trumpets; and commandment of the LORD they pitched : ye shall be remembered before the LORD as long as the cloud abode upon the taber- your God, and ye shall be saved from your nacle they rested in their tents.
enemies. 19. And when the cloud tarried long 10. Also in the day of your gladness, and upon the tabernacle many days, then the in your solemn days, and in the beginnings children of Israel kept the charge of the of your months, ye shall blow with the LORD, and journeyed not.
trumpets over your burnt-offerings, and over
the sacrifices of your peace-offerings; that 28. Thus were the journeyings of the chilthey may be to you for a memorial before dren of Israel according to their armies, your God: I am the LORD your God. when they set forward.
11. And it came to pass on the twentieth 29. And Moses said unto Hobab, the son day of the second month, in the second of Raguel the Midianite, Moses' father-inyear, that the cloud was taken up from off law, We are journeying unto the place of the tabernacle of the testimony.
which the LORD said, I will give it you : - 12. And the children of Israel took their come thou with us, and we will do thee journeys out of the wilderness of Sinai; and good : for the Lord hath spoken good conthe cloud rested in the wilderness of Paran. cerning Israel. 13. And they first took their journey ac
30. And he said unto him, I will not go; cording to the commandment of the LORD but I will depart to mine own land, and to by the hand of Moses.
my kindred. 14. In the first place went the standard 31. And he said, Leave us not, I pray of the camp of the children of Judah ac- thee: forasmuch as thou knowest how we cording to their armies : and over his host are to encamp in the wilderness, and thou was Nahshon the son of Amminadab. mayest be to us instead of eyes.
: 15. And over the host of the tribe of the 32. And it shall be, if thou go with us, children of Issachar was Nethaneel, the son yea, it shall be, that what goodness the of Zuar.
Lord shall do unto us, the same will we do 16. And over the host of the tribe of the unto thee. children of Zebulun was Eliab the son of 33. | And they departed from the mount Helon.
of the LORD three days' journey: and the 17. And the tabernacle was taken down; ark of the covenant of the LORD went beand the sons of Gershon and the sons of fore them in the three days' journey, to Merari set forward, bearing the tabernacle. search out a resting-place for them. 18. And the standard of the camp of
34. And the cloud of the LORD was upon Reuben set forward according to their ar- them by day,when they went out of the camp. mies : and over his host was Elizur the son 35. And it came to pass, when the ark of Shedeur.
set forward, that Moses said, Rise up, LORD, 19. And over the host of the tribe of the and let thine enemies be scattered, and let children of Simeon was Shelumiel the son | them that hate thee flee before thee. of Zurishaddai.
36. And when it rested, he said, Return, O 20. And over the host of the tribe of the Lord, unto the many thousands of Israel. children of Gad was Eliasaph the son of
CHAP. XI. Deuel.
4 The people lust for flesh, and loathe manna. 31 Quails 21. And the Kohathites set forward, are given in wrath at Kibroth-hattaavah. bearing the sanctuary: and the other did set 1. ND when the people complained, it up the tabernacle against they came.
displeased the LORD: and the LORD 22. And the standard of the camp of the heard it; and bis anger was kindled; and children of Ephraim set forward according the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and to their armies : and over his host was Eli- consumed them that were in the uttermost shama the son of Ammihud.
parts of the camp. 23. And over the host of the tribe of the 2. And the people cried unto Moses; and children of Manasseh was Gamaliel the son when Moses prayed unto the LORD, the fire of Pedahzur.
was quenched. 24. And over the host of the tribe of the 3. And he called the name of the place children of Benjamin was Abidan the son Taberah; because the fire of the LORD of Gideoni.
burnt among them. 25. And the standard of the camp of the 4. And the mixed multitude that was children of Dan set forward, which was the among them fell a lusting: and the children rearward of all the camps throughout their of Israel also wept again, and said, Who hosts: and over his host was Ahiezer the shall give us flesh to eat? son of Ammishaddai.
5. We remember the fish which we did 26. And over the host of the tribe of the eat in Egypt freely; the cucumbers, and the children of Asher was Pagiel the son of melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and Ocran.
the garlick: 27. And over the host of the tribe of the 6. But now our soul is dried away: there children of Naphtali was Ahira the son of is nothing at all, besides this manna, before Enan.
7. And the manna was as coriander-seed, || and have wept before him, saying, Why and the colour thereof as the colour of came we forth out of Egypt? bdellium.
21. And Moses said, The people among 8. And the people went about, and ga- whom I am, are six hundred thousand footthered it, and ground it in mills, or beat it in men; and thou hast said, I will give them a mortar, and baked it in pans, and made flesh, that they may eat a whole month. cakes of it: and the taste of it was as the 22. Shall the flocks and the herds be taste of fresh oil.
slain for them, to suffice them ? or shall all 9. And when the dew fell upon the camp the fish of the sea be gathered together for in the night, the manna sell upon it. them, to suffice them?
10. Then Moses heard the people weep 23. And the LORD said unto Moses, Is throughout their families, every man in the the Lord's hand waxed short? thou shalt door of his tent: and the anger of the LORD see now whether my word shall come to was kindled greatly ; Moses also was dis- pass unto thee or not. pleased.
24. And Moses went out, and told the 11. And Moses said unto the LORD, people the words of the Lord, and gathered Wherefore hast thou afflicted thy servant? the seventy men of the elders of the people, and wherefore have I not found favour in and set them round about the tabernacle. thy sight, that thou layest the burden of all 25. And the LORD came down in a cloud, this people upon me?
and spake unto him, and took of the spirit 12. Have I conceived all this people? || that was upon him, and gave it unto the have I begotten them, that thou shouldest seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, say unto me, Carry them in thy bosom, as a when the spirit rested upon them, they pronursing father beareth the sucking child, untophesied, and did not cease. the land which thou swarest unto their 26. But there remained two of the men fathers!
in the camp, the name of the one was El13. Whence should I have flesh to give | dad, and the name of the other Medad: and unto all this people? for they weep unto me, the Spirit rested upon them; and they were saying, Give us flesh, that we may eat. of them that were written, but went not
14. I am not able to bear all this people out unto the tabernacle: and they proalone, because it is too heavy for me. phesied in the camp.
15. And if thou deal thus with me, kill 27. And there ran a young man, and me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad favour in thy sight; and let me not see my do prophesy in the camp. wretchedness.
23. And Joshua the son of Nun, the 16. And the LORD said unto Moses, Ga- | servant of Moses, one of his young men, ther unto me seventy men of the elders of Is- answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid rael, whom thou knowest to be the elders of them. the people, and officers over them; and bring 29. And Moses said unto him, Enviest them unto the tabernacle of the congrega- thou for my sake? Would God that all the tion, that they may stand there with thee. Lord's people were prophets, and that the
17. And I will come down and talk with LORD would put bis Spirit upon them! thee there : and I will take of the spirit 30. And Moses gat him into the camp, which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; he and the elders of Israel. and they shall bear the burden of the people 31. And there went forth a wind from with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone. the Lord, and brought quails from the sea,
18. And say thou unto the people, Sanc- and let them fall by the camp, as it were a ufy yourselves against to-morrow, and ye day's journey on this side, and as it were a shall eat flesh: for ye have wept in the day's journey on the other side, round about cars of the Lord, saying, Who shall give the camp, and as it were two cubits high il flesh to eat ? for it was well with us in upon the face of the earth. Egypt: therefore the LORD will give you 32. And the people stood up all that day, flesh, and ye shall eat.
and all that night, and all the next day, 19. Ye shall not eat one day, nor two and they gathered the quails: he that gadays, nor five days, neither ten days, northered least gathered ten homers: and they twenty days;
spread them all abroad for themselves round 20. But even a whole month, until it | about the come out at your nostrils, and it be loath-. 33. And while the flesh was yet between some unto you: because that ye have their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of despised the LORD which is among you, ll the LORD was kindled against the people,
26 Their relation.
ND Miriam and Aaron spake against 2. Send thou men, that they may search
and the LORD smote the people with a very || camp seven days: and the people journeyed great plague.
not till Miriam was brought in again. 34. And he called the name of that place 16. And afterward the people removed Kibroth-hattaavah: because there they bu- from Hazeroth, and pitched in the wilderried the people that lusted.
ness of Parau. 35. And the people journeyed from Ki
CHAP. XIII. broth-hattaavah unto Hazeroth; and abode | 1 The names of the men who were sent to search the land • at Hazeroth. CHAP. XII.
1. ND the LORD spake unto Moses, God rebuketh the sedition of Miriam and Aaron.
Moses because of the Ethiopian the land of Canaan, which I give unto the woman whom he had married: for he had children of Israel: of every tribe of their married an Ethiopian woman.
fathers shall ye send a man, every one a 2. And they said, Hath the Lord indeed ruler among them. spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken 3. And Moses by the commandment of
by us? And the Lord heard it. the LORD sent them from the wilderness 3. (Now the man Moses was very meek, of Paran: all those men were heads of the above all the men which were upon the children of Israel. face of the earth.)
4. And these were their names: Of the tribe 4. And the LORD spake suddenly unto of Reuben, Shammua the son of Zaccur. Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, 5. Of the tribe of Simeon, Shaphat the Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of son of Hori. the congregation. And they three came out. 6. Of the tribe of Judah, Caleb the son
5. And the LORD came down in the of Jephunneh. pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of 7. Of the tribe of Issachar, Igal the son the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miri- of Joseph. am: and they both came forth.
8. Of the tribe of Ephraim, Oshea the 6. And he said, Hear now my words: If son of Nun. there be a prophet among you, I the LORD 9. Of the tribe of Benjamin, Palti the will make myself known unto him in a son of Raphu. vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. 10. Of the tribe of Zebulun, Gaddiel the
7. My servant Moses is not so, who is son of Sodi. faithful in all mine house.
11. Of the tribe of Joseph, namely, of the 8. With him will I speak mouth to mouth, tribe of Manasseh, Gaddi the son of Susi. even apparently, and not in dark speeches; 12. Of the tribe of Dan, Ammiel the son and the similitude of the LORD shall be of Gemalli. behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid 13. Of the tribe of Asher, Sethur the son to speak against my servant Moses ? of Michael.
9. And the anger of the LORD was 14. Of the tribe of Naphtali, Nahbi the kindled against them; and he departed. son of Vophsi.
10. And the cloud departed from off the 15. Of the tribe of Gad, Geuel the son tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became of Machi. leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked 16. These are the names of the men which upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous. Moses sent to spy out the land. And Moses
11. And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, called Oshea the son of Nun, Jehoshua. my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon 17. And Moses sent them to spy out the us, wherein we have done foolishly, and land of Canaan, and said unto them, Get wherein we bave sinned.
you up this way southward, and go up into 12. Let her not be as one dead, of whom the mountain : the flesh is half consumed when he cometh 18. And see the land, what it is; and the out of his mother's womb.
people that dwelleth therein, whether they 13. And Moses cried unto the LORD, say- be strong or weak, few or many; ing, Heal her now, O God, 1 beseech thee. 19. And what the land is that they dwell
14. And the LORD said unto Moses, If in, whether it be good or bad; and what her father had but spit in her face, should cities they be that they dwell in, whether in she not be ashamed seven days? let her be tents, or in strong holds; shut out from the camp seven days, and 20. And what the land is, whether it be after that let her be received in again. fat or lean, whether there be wood therein
15. And Miriam was shut out from the l or not: And be ye of good courage, and bring of the fruit of the land. Now the time
CHAP. XIV. was the time of the first-ripe grapes.
The people murmur at the news. 21. So they went up, and searched the 1. ND all the congregation lifted up land, from the wilderness of Zin unto Re- their voice, and cried; and the people hob, as men come to Hamath.
wept that night. 92. And they ascended by the south, and 2. And all the children of Israel murcame unto Hebron, where Ahiman, Sheshai, mured against Moses and against Aaron: and Talnai, the children of Anak, were. and the whole congregation said unto them, (Now Hebron was built seven years before Would God that we had died in the land Zoan in Egypt.)
of Egypt ! or would God we had died in 23. And they came unto the brook of this wilderness! Eshcol, and cut down from thence a branch 3. And wherefore hath the LORD brought with one cluster of grapes, and they bare us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that it between two upon a staff; and they our wives and our children should be a brought of the pomegranates, and of the prey? were it not better for us to return figs.
into Egypt? 24. The place was called the brook 4. And they said one to another, Let us Eshcol, because of the cluster of grapes make a captain, and let us return into Egypt. which the children of Israel cut down from 5. Then Moses and Aaron fell on their thepce.
faces before all the assembly of the congre25. And they returned from searching of gation of the children of Israel. the land after forty days.
6. And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb 26. And they went and came to Moses, the son of Jephunneh, which were of them and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of that searched the land, rent their clothes : the children of Israel, unto the wilderness 7. And they spake unto all the company of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back of the children of Israel, saying, The land, word unto them, and unto all the congrega- which we passed through to search it, is an tion, and showed them the fruit of the exceeding good land. land.
8. If the LORD delight in us, then he will 27. And they told him, and said, We bring us into this land, and give it us; a came unto the land whither thou sentest land which floweth with milk and honey. us, and surely it floweth with milk and
9. Only rebel not ye against the LORD, boney; and this is the fruit of it.
neither fear ye the people of the land; for 28. Nevertheless the people be strong that they are bread for us: their defence is dedwell in the land, and the cities are walled, parted from them, and the LORD is with us: and very great: and moreover, we saw the || fear them not. children of Anak there.
10. But all the congregation bade stone 29. The Amalekites dwell in the land them with stones. And the glory of the of the south; and the Hittites, and the LORD appeared in the tabernacle of the conJebusites, and the Amorites, dwell in the gregation, before all the children of Israel. mountains; and the Canaanites dwell by 1. And the LORD said unto Moses, the sea, and by the coast of Jordan. How long will this people provoke me? and
30. And Caleb stilled the people before how long will it be ere they believe me, for Moses, and said, Let us go up at once and all the signs which I have showed among possess it; for we are well able to over-them? come it.
12. I will smite them with the pestilence, 31. But the men that went up with him and disinherit them, and will make of thee said, We be not able to go up against the a greater nation and mightier than they. people; for they are stronger than we. 13. And Moses said unto the LORD,
32. And they brought up an evil report Then the Egyptians shall hear it, (for thou of the land which they had searched unto broughtest up this people in thy might from the children of Israel, saying, The land,|| among them;) through which we have gone to search it, 14. And they will tell it to the inhabitants is a land that eateth up the inhabitants of this land : for they have heard that thou, thereof; and all the people that we saw Lord, art among this people; that thou, in it are a
LORD, art seen face to face; and that thy 33. And there we saw the giants, the cloud standeth over them; and that thou sons of Anak, which come of the giants; goest before them, by day time in a pillar and we were in our own sight as grasshop- of a cloud, and in a pillar of fire by night. pers, and so we were in their sight.
15. Now, if thou shalt kill all this people